Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Meanwhile Peston reporting that furlough is going to be extended until autumn. Naturally that's devoid of context but it looks like a bad sign. 
*Peston, not Preston. He is as inspiring as the dull down is, right enough. 
I've had a work meeting today where we were told to prepare software wise for the £20 UC uplift reversal scheduled for 4 April to be U-Turned by Sunak in the budget. The speculation is that it will be extended for at least 6 months. All pointing to the financial life support going deep into 2021.

4 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

It is a bit, but we are a long way off the likes of Devi backing down.

This is what Leitch was disagreeing with the other day.

Again though, whilst it sounds shit, cases like your one are not putting any pressure on the NHS and therefore shouldn’t stop anything from being opened up. You sound like you’re advocating restrictions to avoid people getting a viral infection which causes them to get tired for a period, which would be utterly ludicrous.
Hope it gets better for you soon.
With the greatest of respect, I'm advocating nothing of the sort. Get those drugs into as many arms as needs be so I can see my kids, grandkids and even get up north to see my sister who spent most of last year in the Beatson.
My only point, if point it is, that some on here (and in real life) could do with listening rather than talking occasionally - people are still dying (albeit in smaller numbers) and, as in my case, having their health affected in ways we don't yet understand. The vaccine isn't going to deliver pints, gigs and football overnight, but a bit of human contact would be nice.

It is a bit, but we are a long way off the likes of Devi backing down.
This is what Leitch was disagreeing with the other day.

Given the guy is on the SG’s Covid advisory group, we should give it some credence. After all, we keep getting told that Devi and Leitch are “dangerous” as they are advising the SG. So is this guy.

You can’t have your cake and eat it.

4 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

With the greatest of respect, I'm advocating nothing of the sort. Get those drugs into as many arms as needs be so I can see my kids, grandkids and even get up north to see my sister who spent most of last year in the Beatson.
My only point, if point it is, that some on here (and in real life) could do with listening rather than talking occasionally - people are still dying (albeit in smaller numbers) and, as in my case, having their health affected in ways we don't yet understand. The vaccine isn't going to deliver pints, gigs and football overnight, but a bit of human contact would be nice.

With the greatest of respect, nobody had mentioned most of the things in your post (deaths, pubs opening etc) so most of that is irrelevant/part of a different conversation.

You initially responded quite defensively to a post pointing out that young people getting minor ailments e.g. energy loss as a result of Covid isn’t really a big issue, by pointing out you have had this issue. Now that you’ve gone onto deaths etc that’s a completely separate point from where you started. Essentially, if Covid is reduced to people getting ill to the extent you have, then we’re absolutely in the clear and by that point everything should be completely open and should have been for a while.

With the greatest of respect, nobody had mentioned most of the things in your post (deaths, pubs opening etc) so most of that is irrelevant/part of a different conversation.
You initially responded quite defensively to a post pointing out that young people getting minor ailments e.g. energy loss as a result of Covid isn’t really a big issue, by pointing out you have had this issue. Now that you’ve gone onto deaths etc that’s a completely separate point from where you started. Essentially, if Covid is reduced to people getting ill to the extent you have, then we’re absolutely in the clear and by that point everything should be completely open and should have been for a while.
That's bang out of order.

The guy posted that he had been ill for quite a while and you are basically telling him it's nothing and that the severity of illness he has suffered is insignificant enough for it to be proof that we should be opening back up. Arsehole behaviour.

This kind of energy loss is waking up in the morning and feeling as if you've not been to bed - needing to immediately go back for a 8 hour sleep. Never feeling rested. Complete exhaustion 24 hours a day. It's extremely limiting in my experience and a completely different thing to being tired. 

22 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Given the guy is on the SG’s Covid advisory group, we should give it some credence. After all, we keep getting told that Devi and Leitch are “dangerous” as they are advising the SG. So is this guy.

One also is a genuine expert on epidemiology and one a dentist. 

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The guy posted that he had been ill for quite a while and you are basically telling him it's nothing and that the severity of illness he has suffered is insignificant enough for it to be proof that we should be opening back up. Arsehole behaviour.

It may be harsh, but do you genuinely think we should be locked inside the house in case people get post viral fatigue. Will also be interesting if the vaccine helps with this too. 

28 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

He might very well be in the group, but it doesn't mean his opinion is flavour of the month.

From what we've seen so far I'm quite confident that if MW and DS gave polarising advice that NS would gravitate towards DS's.

Throw in Leitch (who we all know is little more than a stooge) publicly rubbishing his opinion just the other day and it's quite clear that MW's opinions are very much outliers within the panel.

That's not having my cake and eating it.

Edited by Todd_is_God

I dont mean this to sound harsh but the purpose of restrictions is (or was) to keep pressure off the NHS, not to stop people getting ill. I'm sure the poster who has had Covid said that, as shite as it made him feel, he hasn't needed hospital treatment.

People are going to continue getting Covid and it'll impact on some worse than others but as long as the NHS is in a position to cope then there shouldn't be a need for restrictions.

He might very well be in the group, but it doesn't mean his opinion is flavour of the month.
From what we've seen so far I'm quite confident that if MW and DS gave polarising advice that NS would gravitate towards DS's.
That's not having my cake and eating it.

It’s just a massive assumption on your part.

It has been one way traffic on this thread, and it has pretty much been suggesting the only advice being given (or taken) is from DS and JL.

That’s clearly not the case, so we shouldn’t just discount what MW is saying

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Mild to moderate illness and the medium to long term PVF that follows, as horrible it is to the people affected, should absolutely not be factored in when discussing restrictions and what can and cannot open up as it not a danger to overburdening NHS.

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I dont mean this to sound harsh but the purpose of restrictions is (or was) to keep pressure off the NHS, not to stop people getting ill. I'm sure the poster who has had Covid said that, as shite as it made him feel, he hasn't needed hospital treatment.

People are going to continue getting Covid and it'll impact on some worse than others but as long as the NHS is in a position to cope then there shouldn't be a need for restrictions.

I actually can’t believe he’s tried to make me out to be an arsehole for suggesting that if we get to the stage where Covid has no impact on the NHS then restrictions are not required. What a complete weapon.

And that’s not mentioning the blatant lie at the end of his post to try to twist what I’ve said.

The medical professionals on this thread have said a couple of times that the long term effects of covid are more than just pvf. 

It doesn't do the situation any favours deliberately playing down stuff like that to advance your argument. Noone is saying we should stay closed because people are experiencing this, but it is a relatively common, genuine limiting condition caused by covid, and is the kind of thing we should be aware of and factor into our thinking rather than dismiss because it doesn't suit. 

Edited by madwullie

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

This is Blair's suggestion, apparantly.

In purely Scottish terms, that would only allow hospitality to open when cases drop below 77 new cases per day.

The no restrictions until there are zero known cases part is genuinely chilling; It's almost certain that we'll never get there, not to mention genuinely impossible as NS is planning to expand testing, and there will always be false positives

20210219_111328.jpg

Are people not starting to wonder why War Criminal Blair is so desperate to keep us all under restrictions permanently?

Just now, madwullie said:

The medical professionals on this thread have said a couple of times that the long term effects of covid are more than just pvf. 

It doesn't do the situation any favours deliberately playing down stuff like that to advance your argument. Noone is saying we should stay closed because people are experiencing this, but it is a relatively common, genuine limiting condition caused by covid. 

I’m not sure what people are saying then when raising ‘long Covid’ as an issue? Is it just highlighting that it is a thing?

Yes, it’s shite, but when looking at restrictions it is genuinely completely irrelevant unless it impacts on the NHS. 

8 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

It’s just a massive assumption on your part.

That's true.

9 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

That’s clearly not the case, so we shouldn’t just discount what MW is saying

Also true.

All I was saying is that whilst there is slight hints at mood music changing, that we are a long way from those very much opposed to what MW is saying changing their tune.

It really wasn't meant to be a hugely contentious point.