Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Absolutely shameful, although the headline should read "full-time". And I wish they hadn't got a quote from that batshit mental Us For Them group.

Young children with autism not able to return to school next week, Scottish council tells parents

Surely this is discriminatory?

Kids in early primary years won’t be socially distancing either. 

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Correct - everyone wants lockdown lifted as quickly as possible and a return to full normality as quickly as possible.

I think this is broadly true but it all comes down to what people define as "as quickly as possible". I don't think there are a significant number of people who love lockdown and just want it to continue for it's own sake but I do think there are a significant number of people who're taking an ultra-cautious position and a large driver of that will be that, relatively speaking, they're not as negatively affected by lockdown as some others.

The only sensible approach is to weigh up the damage lockdown does in all areas and people's basic civil liberties against the damage the virus can do to people. If anyone is only considering one of those sides then it's pretty much a given that they're an idiot, selfish, or both.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Of course it is. But that won't stop them.

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I thought kids under a certain age didn't have to socially distance?

ETA.  It says so in the article.  Under 12 don't have to so how can not being able to socially distance be a valid reason?

Edited by Left Back

Blue envelope arrived this morning, getting jabbed next Wednesday. I can only presume I’ve jumped the queue due to my caring responsibilities for my granddaughter, although she herself hasn’t had it yet 

13 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not sure "mortality decreased substantially over the 2010s and covid has set us back a decade" is the home run you think it is here.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Got a couple of mates in JCVI cat 6 that are getting jagged next week.  Does that mean the over 65's are about done already or are they running them in parallel now?

I think depending where you are in the country they are ahead my dad got his on the 14th and is 63 with no underlying conditions.

Mark Drakeford strikes me as a bit of an idiot but there’s no way he’s dreamt this up. Clearly advice he’s receiving, which is mostly the same as the rest of the UK, is that there will be a third wave.

Drakeford also said in the same interview he doesn’t see normality this year.

What are we missing here?

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What's the procedure once the 9 ground are done and they are doing to millions of 18 to 50s? Is it still age wise or do they plan to implement some other order of priority?

I think it'll probably be aged based, but arguments are being made that certain occupations should get done as a priority (teachers, police etc.) before the rest of that part of the population. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What's the procedure once the 9 ground are done and they are doing to millions of 18 to 50s? Is it still age wise or do they plan to implement some other order of priority?

Don't think that's been established yet.  the document says

"The next phase – further reduction in hospitalisation and targeted vaccination of those at high risk of exposure and/or those delivering key public services".

That is to be driven by government policy rather than the JCVI.  I take that as JCVI saying we don't actually care after 1-9 are done as it has very little clinical impact.

Just now, super_carson said:

My old man got the AZ vaccine on Monday - said he felt crap on Tuesday morning but went back to bed and felt fine.  Probably just hungover tbh...

Sounds accurate. Shite sleep for a night or two, slight headache the morning after, and a sore arm for days 2, 3 & 4.

I'd be interested in whether any survey of opinions about lockdown ever differentiated between groups who had been furloughed for the duration of the pandemic and those who have worked throughout.
Nobody's asked me anything. Then again, I'd probably have been at work when they rang...

So that's when the clamour will start and pressuring from individual employers etc then. That's what I thought but didnt knowing anything was already in place.

Don't think that's been established yet.  the document says
"The next phase – further reduction in hospitalisation and targeted vaccination of those at high risk of exposure and/or those delivering key public services".
That is to be driven by government policy rather than the JCVI.  I take that as JCVI saying we don't actually care after 1-9 are done as it has very little clinical impact.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

So that's when the clamour will start and pressuring from individual employers etc then. That's what I thought but didnt knowing anything was already in place.

These groups are specifically called out as potentials so I'd expect them to be next tbh.

"first responders, the military, those involved in the justice system, teachers, transport workers, and public servants essential to the pandemic response"

At that point though I suspect it doesn't really matter how they want to carve it up.  As long as jags are still going into arms at the same rate and we aren't causing delays trying to organise groups of people by occupation.