Coronavirus (COVID-19)

But, but she wants elimination ! Appears so must the now adored Tories.
As has been stated 101 times before and backed up with as many articles as this, bar a little tinkering at the edges, every country is basically following the same path out of this. That the plan isn't palatable to everyone is to be expected but it doesn't really look like there going to me too much deviation anywhere.Screenshot_20210219-075838_BBC%20News.jpeg

Being reported that furlough will be extended into the summer

https://www.cityam.com/rishi-sunak-to-extend-business-rates-relief-and-furlough/

There definitely seems to be a few rumours of that now surfacing. Sunak apparently has changed his views on lockdown exit and is coming round to the slow but sure way of thinking. I'm still sceptical as that would be a sea shift from him. A bit disappointing if true in a blanket manner.

As someone else has mentioned, all of this talk of longer restrictions etc just makes me want indy ref 2 to be even less of a consideration at the moment. Genuinely couldn’t care less about it at this present time and would rather focus on having these restrictions lifted as soon as possible.

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

But, but she wants elimination ! Appears so must the now adored Tories.
As has been stated 101 times before and backed up with as many articles as this, bar a little tinkering at the edges, every country is basically following the same path out of this. That the plan isn't palatable to everyone is to be expected but it doesn't really look like there going to me too much deviation anywhere.Screenshot_20210219-075838_BBC%20News.jpeg

The exit from lockdown will be one of those "4 nations" things mainly because England will want to go faster but Scotland's numbers will already be lower so win win, problem being is what Wales and N.I want to do, I could see us all being extended until April 1st with maybe some relaxations on meeting outdoors which is hardly ideal.

The exit from lockdown will be one of those "4 nations" things mainly because England will want to go faster but Scotland's numbers will already be lower so win win, problem being is what Wales and N.I want to do, I could see us all being extended until April 1st with maybe some relaxations on meeting outdoors which is hardly ideal.
I doubt that in Wales going by Drakefords comments this morning. Furlough is the key to it all, it more than anything else forces the agenda.

7 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Oh Paulo!!

You really are turning into a poor man's VT.

All we need is Ainsley for House!!

"Turning into"?

It's funny watching him try to ape posters that are simply much better at this sort of stuff than he is. I say funny, perhaps pitiful is more appropriate. 

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

"Turning into"?

It's funny watching him try to ape posters that are simply much better at this sort of stuff than he is. I say funny, perhaps pitiful is more appropriate. 

He's the pits. Rapidly approaching Ignore List territory for me.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
3 minutes ago, 101 said:

I doubt that in Wales going by Drakefords comments this morning. Furlough is the key to it all, it more than anything else forces the agenda.

It has to be extended tbh I would extend it until the end of the EU easements which is 31st Dec. 

Because even once things start to ease it's not all sectors.

Just been reading the last few pages theres some people that need to step away for a few days for there own wellbeing as its heads gone all over the place.

Go for a walk and listen to some tunes  and get some fresh air folks

23 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Being reported that furlough will be extended into the summer

https://www.cityam.com/rishi-sunak-to-extend-business-rates-relief-and-furlough/

Will see if it actually happens and if it’s sector specific or blanket, but if it’s a blanket extension into summer then that is gutting.

It struck me this morning about the messaging in England when Johnson cancelled Christmas for the South days beforehand, having literally the day before said it would be ‘inhuman’. It was reported as ‘make Easter the new Christmas’. I can’t find Boris Johnson actually saying those words, but Robert Jenrick did and it was on dozens of front pages.

The thought was that since Christmas was punted, things would be much better by Easter and the traditional Christmas gatherings with your whole family could take place then instead. ‘Normality by Easter’ is a direct Johnson quote (plus Hancock and Dowden).

The reason I bring this up - Nicola Sturgeon has said holidays by Easter simply won’t be happening. Mark Drakeford is ‘hopeful’ Welsh people will be able to go to caravans in Wales by Easter. Johnson will release the government plans on Monday but I think one thing we can all be sure of is that there will be no allowance for multi-household, multi-generational indoor gatherings in order to ‘make Easter the new Christmas’. I can’t understand why there’s no outcry about this down South, it’s almost Stockholm Syndrome type stuff. They just seem happy to let Johnson run along to his next ‘target’ with no consequences or even murmurs of discontent.

The UK minister quotes came in late December when the direction of travel of the virus was known, the vaccinations were known, the delivery schedules for the vaccinations were known, variants were known and the possible impact of the variants on the vaccine were known. In other words, nothing particularly unexpected has happened since then. I think we’d all agree that up until this stage, the vaccination programme has been a huge success and credit must go where it’s due to the UKG for it. It couldn’t really have went much better realistically.

So what did Johnson, Hancock, Dowden and Jenrick expect to have happened by now, that hasn’t? What’s changed since these comments were made, that has impacted them so significantly? Or, whisper it. Did they just say what people wanted to hear?

Sturgeon would quite rightly be getting hounded on these pages for the same thing, just look at the reaction to the Freeman ‘million vaccinations by the end of January’ comment, made before delivery schedules were known (the number was hit on Feb 9th). Her tone on Tuesday was miles off and has me concerned she’s lost touch with reality, the pelters were deserved.

But don’t let the murmurings of doom fool you into thinking the UK Government end result will be much different. It’ll be broadly the same, and no amount of Johnson or backbench morons telling you what you want to hear will change that.

Edited by Paco

7 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Cheap and ignorant posting..  Almost as bad as the idiotic posting over on the politics thread wherein the Natter Massive were speculating over the reintroduction of capital punishment.

No wonder that a failed and morally bankrupt administration in Holyrood gets so much credit for its incompetence when we have pish like this.

https://townsquare.media/site/62/files/2018/08/RS3032_138031183.jpg?w=980&q=75

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

It struck me this morning about the messaging in England when Johnson cancelled Christmas for the South days beforehand, having literally the day before said it would be ‘inhuman’. It was reported as ‘make Easter the new Christmas’. I can’t find Boris Johnson actually saying those words, but Robert Jenrick did and it was on dozens of front pages.

The thought was that since Christmas was punted, things would be much better by Easter and the traditional Christmas gatherings with your whole family could take place then instead. ‘Normality by Easter’ is a direct Johnson quote (plus Hancock and Dowden).

The reason I bring this up - Nicola Sturgeon has said holidays by Easter simply won’t be happening. Mark Drakeford is ‘hopeful’ Welsh people will be able to go to caravans in Wales by Easter. Johnson will release the government plans on Monday but I think one thing we can all be sure of is that there will be no allowance for multi-household, multi-generational indoor gatherings in order to ‘make Easter the new Christmas’. I can’t understand why there’s no outcry about this down South, it’s almost Stockholm Syndrome type stuff. They just seem happy to let Johnson run along to his next ‘target’ with no consequences or even murmurs of discontent.

The UK minister quotes came in late December when the direction of travel of the virus was known, the vaccinations were known, the delivery schedules for the vaccinations were known, variants were known and the possible impact of the variants on the vaccine were known. In other words, nothing particularly unexpected has happened since then. I think we’d all agree that up until this stage, the vaccination programme has been a huge success and credit must go where it’s due to the UKG for it. It couldn’t really have went much better realistically.

So what did Johnson, Hancock, Dowden and Jenrick expect to have happened by now, that hasn’t? What’s changed since these comments were made, that has impacted them so significantly? Or, whisper it. Did they just say what people wanted to hear?

Sturgeon would quite rightly be getting hounded on these pages for the same thing, just look at the reaction to the Freeman ‘million vaccinations by the end of January’ comment, made before delivery schedules were known (the number was hit on Feb 9th). Her tone on Tuesday was miles off and has me concerned she’s lost touch with reality, the pelters were deserved.

But don’t let the murmurings of doom fool you into thinking the UK Government end result will be much different. It’ll be broadly the same, and no amount of Johnson or backbench morons telling you to want to hear will change that.

Is a lot of that not just down to how the media treats both governments? 

Quite an odd theme starting to develop here of folk going with "its going to take as long as it takes and you're not as switched on as me if you dont realise that" and using it as some sort of straw man against people questioning WHY it's going to take as long....