Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

And yet, looking at deaths per 100k, they were lower in absolute terms than 20% of the previous 20 years, and, adjusted for age, lower than 45% of the previous 20.

Aye but I was allowed out the house in all those previous years. 

Same timescales basically worldwide by the looks of it...

Dr Anthony Fauci, America's top infectious disease expert, said he believes the public may be able to get back to below capacity cinemas and indoor dining "somewhere between the fall and the end of the year". 
Something much closer to life before the pandemic would likely be "by the end of the year, by Christmas," he said, noting that people may still have to wear masks. 
But he added that highly contagious variants could increase cases and interfere with the timeline. 

22 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Dr Anthony Fauci, America's top infectious disease expert, said he believes the public may be able to get back to below capacity cinemas and indoor dining "somewhere between the fall and the end of the year". 
Something much closer to life before the pandemic would likely be "by the end of the year, by Christmas," he said, noting that people may still have to wear masks. 
But he added that highly contagious variants could increase cases and interfere with the timeline. 

Absolutely unbelievable that it looks like we are going to be worse off than last year despite going to be in an infinitely better position than we were last March, and having multiple effective vaccines tbh.

"May be able to get back to indoor dining by Christmas" ffs

Worth noting, however, that Florida, for example, already operates with no mask mandate, and no capacity limits on bars, restaurants and sports stadiums.

Edited by Todd_is_God

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

He usually comes across as pretty sensible but no indoor dining until potentially the end of the year? That can f**k the f**k off. Not even forum darlings Leitch and Devi would come out with that kind of chat, surely? 

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Who is he? Is he maybe referring to America only and factoring in that they don't expect to have as much of a vaccine uptake as we do?

Probably the world leader on pandemics, does very good interviews. And he's back running the American response to the pandemic.

Who is he? Is he maybe referring to America only and factoring in that they don't expect to have as much of a vaccine uptake as we do?
He's the senior medical advisor to the White House. Usually the lad with his head in his hands behind Trump.

In all seriousness, how do we find ourselves seemingly in a worse situation than last year? From all the noises suggest that things like hospitality, big weddings, packed stadiums and weekend breaks abroad are all dead in the water. Its utterly, utterly soul destroying.

2 minutes ago, ac2907 said:

Aye very good rishi, that's hospitality saved then

Is Gordon Ramsay a Tory?

Also I'm not sure he's the best person to speak to pretty sure he laid off all his staff in march.

3 minutes ago, ac2907 said:

Aye very good rishi, that's hospitality saved then

Because if you want to know about the issues facing hospitality in the UK, talk to a super-rich tv personality who lives in Los Angeles.

He's the senior medical advisor to the White House. Usually the lad with his head in his hands behind Trump.

In all seriousness, how do we find ourselves seemingly in a worse situation than last year? From all the noises suggest that things like hospitality, big weddings, packed stadiums and weekend breaks abroad are all dead in the water. Its utterly, utterly soul destroying.

I'm just going to keep telling myself that this is all just to keep people sticking to the restrictions for the time being.

The thought of another year of this pish makes me want to take a bath with the toaster.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Excellent that's a good uplifting bit of news from Her Majesties Communications erm I mean The Telegraph.

But seriously if this can be brought to an end in weeks rather than months let's get on with it.

I honestly couldn't give a shite what any world leaders in this field are saying, I'll continue watching what's happening in places like Israel as well as what new data is saying. 

Up to now I'm not seeing doom and gloom, just might be a tight race for things opening with minimal restrictions this side of the summer. 

11 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm just going to keep telling myself that this is all just to keep people sticking to the restrictions for the time being.

The thought of another year of this pish makes me want to take a bath with the toaster.

I honestly just don’t understand that type of messaging. 

Who could possibly be sitting thinking that this is going to go on for the entire year and that is going to encourage them to continue strictly following restrictions. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I honestly just don’t understand that type of messaging. 

Who could possibly be sitting thinking that this is going to go on for the entire year and that is going to encourage them to continue strictly following restrictions. 

It's that tricky situation in Comms, if something bad is going to last do you give everyone a shock at the start and say it's going to be a tough slog or do you string them along. In the UK I feel we have all been strung along with "this lockdown will be the last" and then "vaccinations are the way out" and then oh wait we might actually want to keep things around for longer etc etc. And I get that it's a changing picture but it's still demoralising and frustrating.

I guess Fauci is trying to be as honest as the last administration was obviously dishonest but they will also be aware it's a big win for Biden if he can ease things faster and safer than promised.

Let's be honest, things like bigger walkways in a post-covid world, whilst it can be argued are a waste of public money are small beer.

Even after it is deemed necessary for these rules to be followed, social distancing is going to be the recommendation where possible for a long, long time to come. Same with masks. And that's fine. As long as they are completely discretionary.

The tipping point though is that there must be an unconditional acceptance that in areas like transport, travel, hospitality, concerts, mass seating arenas, race meets, football matches etc, social distancing is not going to be possible and the fact that it is not possible will not infringe on their ability to not only trade but to do so at normal capacity. There must be a widespread acceptance that Social Distancing, face masks etc, are completely at the discretion of the individual and not the authorities and that the level of adherence to these recommendations in a post-covid world will not affect an individual's rights to service or their right to be present at a venue or event.

Edited by djchapsticks