Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just curious: Has any country just said f**k it, let her rip without any restrictions? I remember the Belarus president during 1st lockdown saying vodka and saunas were all that was needed and I remember their football was all that was being played at the time.

Is there any reliable data as to how they fared re- cases/deaths up to this point?

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah, but don’t let the facts get in the way of cheap attempts at point scoring.

The ‘main players’ on P&B need to get there act together to run candidates in May to offer an alternative.  ‘The Freedom Party’, the ‘End Restrictions Now Party’, the ‘I Want To Get Down The Pub And Wish I Had Some Real Friends To Go With Me Party’*; not sure what would be best.

* I think you’re restricted to six words on the ballot paper; that would probably be beneficial.

No one is arguing for an immediate end to restrictions. 

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No I don’t, but you got some greenies which was the point of your post.

Well done you.

No worries mate. That's literally the only thing you can bring to this debate. 

I've never once mentioned dots on this thread, ever. Not in a positive or a negative manner. The only person that they seem to irk is yourself. 

Enjoy your night. 👍

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, Mr Tourette said:

Just curious: Has any country just said f**k it, let her rip without any restrictions? I remember the Belarus president during 1st lockdown saying vodka and saunas were all that was needed and I remember their football was all that was being played at the time.

Is there any reliable data as to how they fared re- cases/deaths up to this point?

While there won't be many fatties in Belarus, which helps, and any data would be untrustworthy, I don't believe there has been any humanitarian outrage about bodies piling up in the streets.

Then of course there's Sweden, which we all would have been like if Italy never lost their nerve and copied authoritarian China.

Granny Danger I think mentioned a while back that if we were independent then we would be able to utilise furlough without relying on the UKGov.

I’m an independence supporter and agree with the principle 100%, but have to admit the thought of the current ScotGov having the power to utilise furlough is terrifying. It would essentially give them the capability to follow zero Covid and keep us locked down far beyond when it’s reasonable or acceptable to do so, and thereby burying people my age in mountains of debt to be recovered through tax. I genuinely can’t believe I’ve ended up in a situation where I’m thankful that the Tories are in control of something rather than ScotGov, it feels horrible, like I’m hoping for Rangers to score against Ayr.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've never once mentioned dots on this thread, ever. Not in a positive or a negative manner. The only person that they seem to irk is yourself. 

Enjoy your night. 👍

For someone who adamantly claims he doesn’t care about dots, he mentions them with incredible regularity.

14 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Granny Danger I think mentioned a while back that if we were independent then we would be able to utilise furlough without relying on the UKGov.

I’m an independence supporter and agree with the principle 100%, but have to admit the thought of the current ScotGov having the power to utilise furlough is terrifying. It would essentially give them the capability to follow zero Covid and keep us locked down far beyond when it’s reasonable or acceptable to do so, and thereby burying people my age in mountains of debt to be recovered through tax. I genuinely can’t believe I’ve ended up in a situation where I’m thankful that the Tories are in control of something rather than ScotGov, it feels horrible, like I’m hoping for Rangers to score against Ayr.

Too poor, too wee, too stupid.

Please stop quoting him for the love of all that is holy.
The Ignore List can be great and has made my time on here much better but they need to find a way to fix quoted posts being shown. I could do without reading the output of the Granny Dangers and the 8MileBUs of this world.
Have you some posters on ignore? What a revelation....never mentioned it before.

14 minutes ago, Elixir said:

While there won't be many fatties in Belarus, which helps, and any data would be untrustworthy, I don't believe there has been any humanitarian outrage about bodies piling up in the streets.

Then of course there's Sweden, which we all would have been like if Italy never lost their nerve and copied authoritarian China.

Sweden may not have passed laws to control their citizens but they did issue guidance which was pretty much followed.  Not saying their guidance was as harsh as our lockdowns but in no way did they let it rip.  I think they also recently passed a law allowing the government to implement emergency measures.

8 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
37 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
The Ignore List can be great and has made my time on here much better but they need to find a way to fix quoted posts being shown. I could do without reading the output of the Granny Dangers and the 8MileBUs of this world.

Have you some posters on ignore? What a revelation....never mentioned it before.

I quoted you so he can read that...

I know I'm being thick, but what is the advantage of playing two legged European games at 2 neutral venues? Is it about avoiding quarantine returning to their own countries?

Eta. Found an article, I was being thick.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

26 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Enjoy your night. 👍

Another four, you’re on a roll.

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Sweden may not have passed laws to control their citizens but they did issue guidance which was pretty much followed.  Not saying their guidance was as harsh as our lockdowns but in no way did they let it rip.  I think they also recently passed a law allowing the government to implement emergency measures.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the idea that the Swedes actively pursued 'herd immunity', 'letting it rip', or took no precautions is a nonsense. What they did do was follow holistic pandemic mitigation measures that had always been planned for, and could be relied on long-term without the public becoming fatigued or suffering in a whole host of other ways. The only 'experiment' is what we have all lived through for the past year. Locking up society was met with shock and disbelief in the West when we first saw what was happening in Wuhan.

It feels like this has been airbrushed from history, but I'm sure in time it will be looked back on for the disaster that it was and is.

40 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Please requote this response.

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if the SG's route map was just a re-hash of the one they used last year except rather than tier 0 being defined as "the closest we'll get to normality without a vaccine" it'll be "the closest we'll get to normality until zero covid is achieved."

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I know I'm being thick, but what is the advantage of playing two legged European games at 2 neutral venues? Is it about avoiding quarantine returning to their own countries?

I know certain regions of Germany have in place no quarantine exceptions for anyone, even elite sportspeople, entering from "mutation zones" which is why Liverpool could not go to Leipzig.

I'm absolutely certain the UK Gov did not factor in foreign governments reacting so strongly to their baseless nonsense about variants.

Edited by Todd_is_God

9 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if the SG's route map was just a re-hash of the one they used last year except rather than tier 0 being defined as "the closest we'll get to normality without a vaccine" it'll be "the closest we'll get to normality until zero covid is achieved."

Also they have said it will be data driven but will it be the same as last year, for example, was it not something like Falkirk area could not be moved down a tier as it was connected to North Lanarkshire were there were higher numbers or where Edinburgh should have been in tier 2 but they were scared everyone from Glasgow would go there shopping. 

If they say that the measures  are data driven then it should be black and white and not there interpretation of the data with caveats included

I appreciate that the decisions reached where based in data but they set out guidelines and then set out there own interpretation of the guidelines

Edited by The Stig