Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 hours ago, madmitch said:
Not really been keeping in touch closely with how things are going in the U.K. or this thread for a while.  A question, My 88 year old mother got her initial vaccine in mid January, the expectation was that she would receive the second dose in three weeks. She is now telling me it will be 12 weeks before she gets the second jab. WTF?! If what was promised was three weeks is now twelve weeks, does this mean that there will be a reduction in the efficacy of the vaccine? P.S. she contracted COVID a few months ago and survived. She's a tough old gal.

The UK policy is 12 weeks between doses. Loads of info on efficacy, policy etc if you google it.

Thanks very much for that.

That is about 1000x more positive and informative than anything NS said today. You might be allowed a holiday to Dingwall in October by her speech.
If NS has said you won't be allowed to meet loved ones even outside for 3 months and a return to the rule of six in 4, imagine the heads gone rage we would have seen yet here you are lauding that very suggestion. Bizarre!

28 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is, even though he's hardly healthy, he wasn't anywhere near at death's door. 

He's had it mildly so it's fucking bizarre that they would roll someone like this out, someone who spent 3 weeks in the house with a cough and a fever to tell a cautionary tale. 

Cases like his, that did not even result in a hospital bed, much less an ICU or ventilatior are not at all relevant and should not even be in the discussion when it comes to what we are trying to bring down. 

Indeed. I mentioned it a few days ago, but they need to really be interviewing the healthy, gym going 30 something who was in an ICU with Covid. But we all know they don’t exist.  

The ‘it could happen to anyone’ message is misinforming the public.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Indeed. I mentioned it a few days ago, but they need to really be interviewing the healthy, gym going 30 something who was in an ICU with Covid. But we all know they don’t exist.  

The ‘it could happen to anyone’ message is misinforming the public.

I mean I'm overweight, not anywhere near the extent of this guy though and when gyms are open, I actively go regularly and work hard when there. I'm absolutely confident that even when carrying a bit of timber, I'd be nowhere near on my arse if I caught it. 

If the two folk they and the BBC pulled out the bag the last few days to show this could be affecting anyone are the best examples of cases in their 30s (one of which wasn't even serious despite him being fat) then they are pissing in the wind. 

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Its beyond parody now.  It will be interesting how they will proceed if the chancellor does not extend furlough again.   Can't keep all those people in the house with no income surely?

Then again there won't be much left to open anyway will there...

If Sunak doesn't extend furlough I expect to see things start to open up fairly rapidly, especially if the UK Gov return Universal Credit to it's pre-covid payment levels and draconian rules over self-employment. ScotGov have absolutely no control or authority to implement any sort of income-replacement benefit so will have to either allow businesses to open up or leave hundreds of thousands with no income at all. That's plainly something they're not going to do shortly before an election, regardless of any other reason. 

Guest TheJTS98
8 hours ago, anotherchance said:

I like NS, but the tone is completely wrong.

It’s perfectly reasonable to be cautious with the measures while having a more positive tone, to encourage “one last push” to get the numbers right now down as far as possible and to emphasise how great it is that hospital/ICU numbers are down 60% plus on the most recent peak.

People aren’t going to think “f**k it” just by getting a wee bit more hope.

Couple of quick questions. If the First Minister frames this as 'one last push', what do you suggest she says if another push is needed later? Also, in that scenario, why would anybody listen to her?

6 hours ago, madwullie said:

Panic over lads, the tories have leaked some morphine through the Daily Mail. 

Incredible. A Tory government leaks a bit of feel-good through a tory-friendly paper, and people lap it up. I'm not sure at what point of Tory lies and backtracking people will stop being prepared to believe them.

There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to suggest that this timetable should be taken seriously. And what's worse, many people will be extremely upset come July if things don't match it. 'But they TOLD US!'

Incredible. A Tory government leaks a bit of feel-good through a tory-friendly paper, and people lap it up. I'm not sure at what point of Tory lies and backtracking people will stop being prepared to believe them.
There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to suggest that this timetable should be taken seriously. And what's worse, many people will be extremely upset come July if things don't match it. 'But they TOLD US!'
Truth is an alien concept to the Tories and the Daily Heil.

6 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It'll be an attempt by the DM to lead the narrative. If a newspaper tells several hundred thousand people "things will be fine by July" and frames it as a government leak it heaps pressure on BoJo to ensure this is the case. I'm assuming the DM's owners are heavily invested in other industries that would very much benefit from this.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

It'll be an attempt by the DM to lead the narrative. If a newspaper tells several hundred thousand people "things will be fine by July" and frames it as a government leak it heaps pressure on BoJo to ensure this is the case. I'm assuming the DM's owners are heavily invested in other industries that would very much benefit from this.

It's hard to think of an industry that wouldn't. Not to mention the newspaper industry. How many sales a day are newspapers losing with no commuters in train stations?

I think it's mainly just the tories leaking a bit of feel-good to try and win over public opinion. Plain and simple.

Dish out a good-news story and there's plenty of time to think of an excuse later on.

The fact the article merely focuses on pubs, restaurants and holidays says it all. People just want to see family, be allowed out their local area and have non essential retail and the livelihoods it supports back open but all the focus on is pubs and holidays. A total puff piece aimed at it's core readership, the majority of which are only worried about what they are going to spend the thousands this lockdown has saved them on !

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Daily Mail story is about what you would expect in terms of hospitality opening back up. 

The equivalent of the autumn in May, last summer in June then opened up properly when the vulnerable are fully vaccinated plus 3 weeks. 

You could meet up with more than 6 folk last summer could you not?

23 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm still waiting to see what people who don't have school age children are getting in the trade off.

A future educated and well adjusted work force that will pay for your pension*

*note, probable collapse of welfare system in 10 years renders argument moot.