Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If furlough ends at the end of april as many predict then how does NS propose to provide support to the hospitality, travel and culture sectors? 
When is the ‘adult conversation’ going to happen? Will Leitch admit he fucked up spectacularly? 

In fairness Leitch is only able to carry out the bidding of The Guys 

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If furlough ends at the end of april as many predict then how does NS propose to provide support to the hospitality, travel and culture sectors? 
When is the ‘adult conversation’ going to happen? Will Leitch admit he fucked up spectacularly? 

An Independent Scotland wouldn’t have to worry about when someone else was going to end the furlough.

26 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
51 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:
Nobody is disputing that education and the social aspect for kids (especially ones who are only children) is vitally important, it shouldn't be a trade off for every adult to put up with existing to work (that's if they even have a job left) and having nothing else to look forward to

Today's announcement isn't a trade off though. We are nowhere near being able to reopen gyms and it was 5-7yo kids returning.

This is complete and utter bollocks. We could in fact open gyms, non-essential retail and services tomorrow and the number of infections would still reliably fall. We have chosen to go with schools instead. That is a trade-off.

The fact that the SG is being so cautious and piecemeal about its flagship 'but the weans!!!111' policy tells you all you need to know about the significant impact that schools have on infection rates. If they make an arse of this return and infection rates flatten out as they are now, then it is additional weeks of otherwise needless restrictions on everything else all through the spring and quite possibly the first half of the summer as well. 

Well that was an interesting read for the last hour. Definitely cured my boredom that’s for sure. 
Not sure why everyone is losing the head, Nicola Sturgeon basically told us weeks ago what to expect and what not to expect and that’s exactly what happened. We knew we weren’t coming out of lockdown and we knew only the younger kids were going back. 
Actually, it’s all starting to look a bit more positive. Steps are being taken to get us out of this mess which is a great sign. We’re a lot further forward today than we have been for nearly a year. 
Things are looking up. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Why should we continue testing people when the elderly/vulnerable have been vaccinated? These test centres cost tens of thousands to run per day. Is it really feasible to keep burning money to tell some 40 year hypochondriac that they dont have covid? 

As apposed to being locked down or tiers until 2022 or beyond?

A fraction of the cost. Every successful country has been on top of the virus with ttt. Its this short sighted approach that you mention that wrecked the economy and killed 100,000 people.

Testing pays for itself many times over.

Less than an hour ago you were claiming that the phrase “for summer” meant that any easing of restrictions wouldn’t be permanent.  You’re all over the place.
I was doing nothing of the kind. I was pointing out the wording in the article that was quoted to me said "for summer" rather than "in summer" nothing more than that. I pointed out they have different meanings which they do. It was a comment on someone elses opinion not my own actual opinion.

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

You can surely appreciate my frustration, though.

It's incredibly impractical for both me and my employer to now have potentially just 5 days notice as to whether or not I should be availalable to go to work or continue to shield.

I thought shielding had ended? 

This is complete and utter bollocks. We could in fact open gyms, non-essential retail and services tomorrow and the number of infections would still reliably fall. We have chosen to go with schools instead. That is a trade-off.
The fact that the SG is being so cautious and piecemeal about its flagship 'but the weans!!!111' policy tells you all you need to know about the significant impact that schools have on infection rates. If they make an arse of this return and infection rates flatten out as they are now, then it is additional weeks of otherwise needless restrictions on everything else all through the spring and quite possibly the first half of the summer as well. 

Whilst delighted i am able to pack my sprogs away from next week, i agree that there is no reasons for gyms not to be open if we are opening schools.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

A fraction of the cost. Every successful country has been on top of the virus with ttt. Its this short sighted approach that you mention that wrecked the economy and killed 100,000 people.

Not if it causes restrictions to continue longer than necessary, as a result of panic over cases

3 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I thought shielding had ended? 

Came back with the start of lockdown. Those living or working in a level 4 area should avoid all unnecessary contact and not go to work for as long as "lockdown" is in place.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Not really been keeping in touch closely with how things are going in the U.K. or this thread for a while.  A question, My 88 year old mother got her initial vaccine in mid January, the expectation was that she would receive the second dose in three weeks. She is now telling me it will be 12 weeks before she gets the second jab. WTF?! If what was promised was three weeks is now twelve weeks, does this mean that there will be a reduction in the efficacy of the vaccine? P.S. she contracted COVID a few months ago and survived. She's a tough old gal.
The UK policy is 12 weeks between doses. Loads of info on efficacy, policy etc if you google it.

35 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Exactly this. Think about it logically if there is no furlough there will be no businesses ordered to close. After April any support will be very targeted to specific sectors.

All this hysteria about business closed until summer, unless Sunak decides that's needed it cant and wont happen. Add in an election in May and it's nowhere near as difficult to see through Sturgeons doom and gloom as most seem to be making out.

The events in Holland will be interesting following today's court ruling, this could just be the start of the collapse of Government authority throughout.

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Whilst delighted i am able to pack my sprogs away from next week, i agree that there is no reasons for gyms not to be open if we are opening schools.

Away and boil yer heid.  

If gyms were opened alongside schools you'd find gym usage would be higher than normal.    In certain places hundreds of people from different people panting away in a sweatbox and touching equipment.    

Given that it's now light till 6pm, and the weather will reach 13C by the weekend, everyone can quite easily exercise outdoors.   

Equating the importance of opening schools to gyms is moronic.   

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

My partner has now not traded for 12 weeks aside for 2 weeks before xmas. Despite being a hairdresser, she is not eligible for any type of help due to only becoming self employed in Sept 2020 and we've been told there is no sort of financial assitance going to become avaialble to her any time soon. 

I've tried the local MSP and Business Gateway to try and find some sort of loophole to try and get a bit of support for her and have been told they are 'disappointed' there's nothing forthcoming. 

I'd love to know what sort of incentive she now has to stay closed instead of just going 'f**k it' and working on the downlow. Because to be perfectly honest, that's now where we are as I feel we're having 2 fingers stuck up at us every time we ask to be treated on a par with other businesses in her sector. 

Why take such a gamble when that industry had been hit hard earlier in year? Were you betting on government self employed support being higher than her furlough wage from employer?

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

There’s zero chance of that happening.  Indeed, he’s more likely to get a regulator slot on Sportsound telling everyone how great he is.

Its nice to agree with you on something today. X

17 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

In fairness Leitch is only able to carry out the bidding of The Guys 

I wish the guys would tell him to admit he was wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

An Independent Scotland wouldn’t have to worry about when someone else was going to end the furlough.

You are absolutely correct, however given the fact the Scottish Government can’t inspire hope in the midst of some of the most amazing medical achievements in modern history I would question their ability to deliver it. 

It would be interesting to see if legal precedence begins to emerge re "emergency powers". Didn't some Scottish publicans try a legal challenge last year ?

The events in Holland will be interesting following today's court ruling, this could just be the start of the collapse of Government authority throughout.

Can't wait to pay a higher rate of tax for the rest of my life to pay for the furlough scheme whilst the government persist with building a high speed railway into London no one will use or housing nuclear weapons nobody wants costing billions.
The irony of HS2 being built when everyone is about to start working from home will not be lost on many.

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Testing had its place. I dont see the need for it when the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated. Let's be honest, testing people cant go on forever. Are we going to allow people who have been vaccinated twice the option of going for a test, just incase they're worried their vaccine hasnt worked? If so that just screams throwing away money for the sake of it