Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I sense an opportunity here, I’m going to open a pub in my school’s gym hall.  That way you can all have some delicious pints and a shot on the ropes at the same time. 

Ice packs and a call home if you get pished and bump your head.
3 pints of lager and half a dozen burpees please.

5 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

I stopped watching the briefings in December.  I enjoy the discussion on this thread because there's differing view points about the strategies, some good critiques of policy and some really interesting sources of information posted which I wouldn't otherwise have seen.

This is the first time I think the thread has really been overwhelmed by negativity.  I found myself getting really despondent just reading a few pages after the briefing.  Without going full Devi, Im just focusing on remembering that we do have multiple vaccines available, the roll out is going well, the weather will start improving soon and restrictions will be lifted.  Despite conspiracy theories that get banded about, none of the UK governments want to be the ones responsible for irreparable damage to the economy (the extent of which this has already been done is up for debate) or are using extended restrictions just to see how we all react to living under a totalitarian state.

The briefings would bore you to tears, 5 or 6 one liners and a cheerio would suffice most days. 

She could announce 1000 deaths a day up here and most peoples subconscious would just do a shrug. 

Chris Whitty.
https://www.cityam.com/uk-could-see-significant-return-to-normality-by-summer/
“I think what we’ll see is a phased opening up as the vaccination levels increase and then we’ll be more or less back to normal for the summer I would imagine,”
That wasnt Witty that said that in the article you quoted ! Also says "for summer" as opposed to "by summer" which suggest to me he didn't expect it to be a permanent thing.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Why isn't anyone questioning the total shitshow thats our world leading track and trace?

Just open and close things until everyone is vaccinated?

Theres another way but nobody talks about it, we can't afford testing because we'd rather ruin the economy thats much cheaper.

Absolute shambles, Australia has 900 deaths ffs. Its criminal how badly we've handled it. Until test track and trace is sorted then it will be lockdown open up lockdown open up until enough people are vaccinated. They stood there and told us testing was pointless along with masks and large crowds were OK. Surely if we are opening up then testing needs to be part of the plan. Wheres the test kits for workplaces like in England?

Why should we continue testing people when the elderly/vulnerable have been vaccinated? These test centres cost tens of thousands to run per day. Is it really feasible to keep burning money to tell some 40 year hypochondriac that they dont have covid? 

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
You can't seriously be suggesting that people can't get a hair cut or have a friend round until June, and that that is ok?

It will be once the most vulnerable have had both shots plus 3 weeks. Think that's going to be about May which will tie in roughly with the end of furlough end April. There has never been any talk of anything sooner just assumptions / wishes.

Im in that group and not expecting mine before the latter part of April. Add three weeks on and it's almost June

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s difficult for all of us, not just those who are continually bitching and moaning about it.

Indeed, but we're not all affected to equal degrees.

That's obviously because we're different people and because we're in different circumstances.

I do suspect that age is a factor in how people are reacting on here.

This assumes essentially that the first jag has almost no effect, which the data from Israel seems to suggest is not the case. I do not believe it will take anything like 15 weeks from the first jag to see the signs of improvement amongst the vaccinated population if it works here as it has in Israel.
I kinda agree but I'm saying what I think will happen. The minute we went "off piste" vaccine wise I think it pretty much meant they would err on the side of caution. They know full protection is two doses so they will wait. I'm not sure too many outwith the echo chambers of social media would argue that wasn't sensible.

From a post a few pages back, why is it ridiculous that people might reconsider voting for the SNP considering the messaging coming out over the past few weeks?

I ended up having that call with John Mason last night, I'm not really any further forward in understanding the government's thinking frankly, but I've made it clear that I can't support the SNP whilst this continues. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
18 minutes ago, Left Back said:
Chris Whitty.
https://www.cityam.com/uk-could-see-significant-return-to-normality-by-summer/
“I think what we’ll see is a phased opening up as the vaccination levels increase and then we’ll be more or less back to normal for the summer I would imagine,”

That wasnt Witty that said that in the article you quoted ! Also says "for summer" as opposed to "by summer" which suggest to me he didn't expect it to be a permanent thing.

Apologies.  that particular quote was Andrew Hayward, who is also a leading scientist/epidemiologist that sits on SAGE.  Is he good enough for you?

Your second point, indeed your entire response is a poor attempt at deflection.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:
That's really harsh and unsympathetic.  This is difficult for people. 
I don't thing you're wrong though.

What an odd response to someone posting like an absolute w****r

Well I'd describe a response that says "I'll do what I like anyway" as belonging to someone in need of growing up a little.

A harshly expressed view, but actually a sound enough one to hold.

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

I've got to laugh that the wee precious cherubs of primary 1-3 can go back to being in classes of about 30, yet the big bad gyms, salons, clothes shops and sports stadia are still consigned to the bin and will probably remain there for weeks/months yet. Covid above all and schools above all 🙄

I love the gym but kids going to school is the number one priority. 

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

From a post a few pages back, why is it ridiculous that people might reconsider voting for the SNP considering the messaging coming out over the past few weeks?

I ended up having that call with John Mason last night, I'm not really any further forward in understanding the government's thinking frankly, but I've made it clear that I can't support the SNP whilst this continues. 

Oh because having the audacity to criticise the Scottish Government in some posters eyes makes you a tory. 
They’ve made a c**t of it from the very start. 

Im in that group and not expecting mine before the latter part of April. Add three weeks on and it's almost June
If we remain at a constant 30k daily for first jags, groups 1-9 should be done by third week in April. All adults by early June. Second jag hard to predict other than if the first two dates remain accurate, every adult will have had 2 jags by end of August.

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I've got to laugh that the wee precious cherubs of primary 1-3 can go back to being in classes of about 30, yet the big bad gyms, salons, clothes shops and sports stadia are still consigned to the bin and will probably remain there for weeks/months yet. Covid above all and schools above all 🙄

We should've evacuated footballers & fitness instructors during the blitz, mate.

Just noticed within the criteria to skip the vaccine queue.  All the Fat Cants on here are in luck.

Risk Group 6

Clinical conditions list:

• are seriously overweight (BMI of 40 and above)
Edited by superbigal

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I love the gym but kids going to school is the number one priority. 

Nobody is disputing that education and the social aspect for kids (especially ones who are only children) is vitally important, it shouldn't be a trade off for every adult to put up with existing to work (that's if they even have a job left) and having nothing else to look forward to

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Comments like this the reason why "Ok, boomer" became a thing

You see, I'm not being a twat about it, referring to 'snowflakes' or anything as crass and frankly, inaccurate.  

I'm observing that people have different perspectives depending on their stages.

I'm nowhere near being a boomer anyway.