Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
If you can point to where she explicity stated so, that would be great.
NS is an excellent communicator. The absence of the line she has used at every review to date is, for me, not an accident.
My work is open. The only reason I am not there is because I am shielding for as long as the current lockdown is in place. Ditching lockdown, and returning to the levels system, would mean it is ok for me to go back.
I mean no disrespect, but I can't exactly reference the interpretation of posters on a football forum when working with my employer to plan whether or not I am available to work. I need it to be clear and explicitly stated by NS.

Lockdown was NOT extended at this review. It's as you were with a strategic framework being punished a week today. That part was very clear.

You can surely appreciate my frustration, though.

It's incredibly impractical for both me and my employer to now have potentially just 5 days notice as to whether or not I should be availalable to go to work or continue to shield.

Edited by Todd_is_God

There was plenty upbeat stuff.
In a break from tradition, people seem determined to hear only what they don't want to hear.
The upbeat stuff came before a big pivot to "but despite all of that" and then a number of different ways of telling us normal life isnt coming back any time in the bear to mid term future.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Freely admit they have had me seething for a while now. Tbh, I just dont see the need to wait till July to see if July will be exactly as they said it would be. I prefer to take that as read and crsck on with the incandescent rage

I think you need to look more on the bright side, your height, or lack thereof means you could pass as a P1-P3 so your life will be back to normal in a week.

Spoiler

But seriously I don't see the difference between early June and July I'm sure the graph they had floating around showed you had to vaccinate like 50,000 people fully to save one life, hardly seems worth having everyone in their house whilst you set about saving about 50 folk.

3 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’ll comment next week when I see the roadmap. Really don’t see why people are getting angry over something which we basically got told 2 weeks ago.

You knew 2 weeks ago that the rest of the school years aren’t going even going to be considered to go back before 15th March? (Therefore literally f**k all else will be relaxed until months after then)

you knew 2 weeks ago that if you are lucky you might be allowed to go to some shitehole like Arbroath for a holiday this Summer? But only maybe and only if you really behave.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If we are still banned from home visiting in May will you still vote SNP?

Yes as I want an independent Scotland and they (and the Greens) are the only parties who give a fuck about Scotland.  

Covid has cunt all to do with an independent Scotland or Scotland remain in the UK.  Folk saying their not voting for them because of their Covid handling is wild.

School is not the only environment in which children interact though and the others have not all been removed. 

Whilst this is true, it ignores things such as

- limited to one other family so can only see one friend at a time
- weather has been shite so again this limits meet ups
- limited to friends within the same county as you

6 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I think Sturgeon is a fantastic communicator in a crisis.  However, we really need some optimism here and some kind of enthusiasm.  Schools going back and vaccines ramping up should be a positive, but somehow we leave these briefings feeling even more negative - despite the actual content of the message not being particularly wrong or unexpected.  

She does seem to overestimate the number of people who really take comfort in the "taking one for the team" element of schools going back. 

I'd imagine she's estimated her message's general reception quite well.

If she was pitching at P&B, then yes, she'd have hopelessly misread her largely demented audience, but she wasn't.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There was plenty upbeat stuff.

In a break from tradition, people seem determined to hear only what they don't want to hear.

I kind of agree, I don’t think she said anything that was not basically what i was expecting.

The summer staycation was actually interesting because I think hotels and the like are probably near the end of things to open up - that largely suggests to me that they think most things will be fully back and (maybe with a few precautions like masks etc) mostly like normal. 

The caution is because there are things (the availability of the Pfizer vaccine for example) that could cause that to go off course.  We are still not anywhere near enough of the population being vaccinated yet for the kind of change that most folks on here want to see happening now.

It's incredibly impractical for both me and my employer to now have potentially just 5 days notice as to whether or not I should be availalable to go to work or continue to shield.
I could go back to work at 30m notice. 5 days is surely ample notice unless your employer has dozens of staff shielding to accommodate at once.

I think you need to look more on the bright side, your height, or lack thereof means you could pass as a P1-P3 so your life will be back to normal in a week.
Spoiler

But seriously I don't see the difference between early June and July I'm sure the graph they had floating around showed you had to vaccinate like 50,000 people fully to save one life, hardly seems worth having everyone in their house whilst you set about saving about 50 folk.

Dont get me wrong, theres bright side for me today. Kids back to school which they and I need, wife back work fulltime which she and I need. Bairnardo brewing will be able to commence a massive Spring ramp up in production. But....

As I have said before, I wont lose my job because of this, or it's highly unlikely at least, but I generally dont look at this from purely my own point of view. The lack of regard for peoples health and wellbeing aswell as their businesses and jobs is what irks me the most. I dont have any skin in the hospitality game but f**k me, how folk can watch what is happening here and be ok with it is beyond me.

I choose to remain optimistic that the cautious tone is to stop folk losing the head before priority vaccinations completed and efficacy kicking in.
There is no way any of this becomes tenable if we get back to summer levels of infection and hospitalization.
And the reality of politics will also kick in - they need to have a significant shift on restrictions before the Scottish Parliament elections.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
28 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:
I choose to remain optimistic that the cautious tone is to stop folk losing the head before priority vaccinations completed and efficacy kicking in.
There is no way any of this becomes tenable if we get back to summer levels of infection and hospitalization.

And the reality of politics will also kick in - they need to have a significant shift on restrictions before the Scottish Parliament elections.

They really don't.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I could go back to work at 30m notice. 5 days is surely ample notice unless your employer has dozens of staff shielding to accommodate at once.

We aren't talking about you, though.

There actually are a handful of people shielding.

I could get to work in 30 minutes myself. But I work shifts, and the shift rotas are completed more than 5 days in advance.

I just find it disappointing that, despite previously acknowledging 2 weeks was uncertain but at least allowed a certain degree of planning, she now thinks 5 days is plenty time.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Always voted SNP, however its hard not to use expletives when describing their performance. 

But honestly it's the tone of NS that is grating. If you are very very good whittle boys and girls and if I'm I'm in a good mood you might get some nearer normality with a stay cation. Patronising waffle. 

There better be objective regional (better not be in tier 4 in the majestic granite city due to Lanarkshire hell holes) measures in the route map. Last time it felt changes happened on a whim. 

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Lets see what that roadmap brings - from her speech today I can't see how it won't be thoroughly depressing. People are at the end of their tether and I don't think she quite realises that. 

I think she understands that perfectly well. However, case loads are only back roughly where they were in Autumn which was high enough to pretty much put an end to hospitality, hospital capacity is under high high thankfully diminishing pressure. You can't open up while hospital capacity is under that kind of pressure so we are stuck for a while, regardless.

We won't see any impact from vaccines until into March and probably April before it should have stopped most deaths and hospitalisations.

If there is a quicker way out of this, I'm all ears. Hospital numbers and vaccine effect are what needs to be monitored now.