Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
"Children are desperate to get back to school"
Utter bollocks emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
Literally no child is chomping at the bit to do some more maths instead of playing FIFA.

All the parents of school age kids I know are unanimous that the kids are bored stiff. I suspect a fair chunk would like to get back if only to alleviate that boredom.

Let them out to play with their mates then.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

Is it though? The AstraZeneca vaccine has been shown to be ineffective against the 501.V2 variant.

It's been shown to be slightly less effective at preventing people catching it, but as far as i'm aware it is still doing it's job at limiting serious illness / death.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I accept that they may be bored (i'm bored), but missing social interaction places them in the same category as literally everyone else.

They are not bored because they aren't sitting in a classroom doing 50 minutes of algebra per day, nor are they desperate to be doing so.

Just a thought, but given that we're talking about thousands and thousands of people, might it be possible that they don't all feel exactly the same way?

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Is it though? The AstraZeneca vaccine has been shown to be ineffective against the 501.V2 variant.

Has it?  What research paper was this as the only thing that I saw was that it had been tested on younger people and did not stop mild symptons.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Just a thought, but given that we're talking about thousands and thousands of people, might it be possible that they don't all feel exactly the same way?

Absolutely. But I don't believe for a second that the majority of school pupils are "desperate" to return to classrooms.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
2 minutes ago, strichener said:

I assume they do when not having to actually do lessons. This myth all kids hate school is an utter nonsense. Loads will be missing the routine and the interaction.

Like literally everyone else then.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Absolutely. But I don't believe for a second that the majority of school pupils are "desperate" to return to classrooms.

You also believed this was over as a public health crisis last year so we’ll take what you believe with a pinch of salt. 

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
2 minutes ago, strichener said:

I assume they do when not having to actually do lessons. This myth all kids hate school is an utter nonsense. Loads will be missing the routine and the interaction.

Those six or seven weeks in the summer must be murder for them.  Yet somehow they manage year after year.

It is a wee bit funny to think ibiza is more likely to be a saga destination this year, but i do feel for your generation missing out on these things, hopefully you’ll be able to get away towards the end of the summer man. 
Generation? Really? We're talking a couple of years' disruption, maybe three. That's a far bigger percentage of what I've got left than your average 18-30 type, but I'm not bleating about things I can't change. Some folk could benefit from a bit of perspective here.

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Those six or seven weeks in the summer must be murder for them.  Yet somehow they manage year after year.

I know you're being facetious, but some do struggle with it actually.

The majority obviously don't, but some really do crave the structure and direction.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Glad that you agree that "children are desperate to return to school" is generalised bollocks that shouldn't be driving policy then.

I don't think kids' desire to return or otherwise, is likely to drive things as much as society's desire.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of environment do you work in?

I can't say I find wearing a mask a horrible experience but if you do then fair enough. I doubt the majority see masks as a barrier to normality. 

They are a nightmare for speccys like me.

Aye as they don't have to home school then and the weather ain't snow and snotters outside !

They ain't been on holiday (well bar a few days half term) since Christmas I assume you noticed.

How can Sturgeon honestly stand up there and say "new variants" are more of a risk this summer than they were last? Is that a wind up?
Surely everyone knows that the virus didn't mutate at all until it found out that the government changed their mind on the Christmas restrictions? The virus had to use its superior intelligence at this point to mutate and become more transmissible since it was only being given 1 day to spread instead of 5.