Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, 101 said:

Good question, not sure I would imagine they only count the PCR test and the others are pretty inaccurate

Suppose that mind end up skewing the number of positives you find by PCR.

I dunno, maybe I'm reaching in terms of why the number of positive tests seem to have stalled over the last week. I'm curious as to what, if any, effect there is from enhanced testing.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, Snafu said:
The SG getting pelters this morning for not making sure hospital patients whom are within the age range for vaccination are vaccinated. Hospital patients being forgotten about despite people catching the virus while they are there.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/relatives-demand-answers-after-elderly-23500872

I would be interested in what the reality is - the Record has been running these anecdotal stories for ages about people missing out on the vaccine.

You scroll to the bottom of that story and you get an explanation - if you're in hospital for an acute condition the clinical advice is you don't get a vaccine because the side effects of it could be confused with symptoms of whatever you're being treated for. Seems more like a medical decision than anything else, which makes more sense than just dingying folk who are clearly vulnerable.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, parsforlife said:
Isn’t that lateral flow?

Yes but it will still identify asymptomatic cases - you would suspect that some who get a positive lateral flu s test will then get the act actual test done - so increasing numbers testing positive.

Only if they are infectious. Which is essentially none.

Asymptimatic transmission has been shown to not really be a thing. Same with fomite transmission.

It suits governments atm to continue to push it as a major factor, though, as it allows them to look like they are in control of events rather than at the mercy of nature.

Expect this to be "discovered" as the vaccine roll out nears completion.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Good question, not sure I would imagine they only count the PCR test and the others are pretty inaccurate

I was told that the lateral flow tests can produce false positives so any positive from them needs to be backed up with a positive PCR test. however they are almost 100% accurate in diagnosing negatives 

Edited by The Stig

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Suppose that mind end up skewing the number of positives you find by PCR.

I dunno, maybe I'm reaching in terms of why the number of positive tests seem to have stalled over the last week. I'm curious as to what, if any, effect there is from enhanced testing.

Could just be that the R rate has been about 1 for a while and the test and protect system is picking up the + people which would keep the rate broadly the same if not slightly in decline.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

SD I accept but what can you not do normally whilst wearing a mask inside a shop?

It's a horrible experience to wear a mask for hours on end. Something the "we should keep masks a thing" brigade often forget.

1 minute ago, The Stig said:

I was thod that the lateral flow tests can produce false positives so any positive from them needs to be backed up with a positive PCR test. however they are almost 100% accurate in diagnosing negatives 

Yeh it's just the negative results that are very accurate for the lateral flow tests, that's my understanding anyway

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's a horrible experience to wear a mask for hours on end. Something the "we should keep masks a thing" brigade often forget.

Imagine that's just a personal preference. I used to work in a clean room environment. 8 hours a day in masks. Honestly never bothered me so long as I didn't let my beard get too long as it got really fucking scratchy. Bigger headache were the safety goggles that you had to perch at a certain angle between mask and hood to stop them fogging up.

Edited by renton

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Is it really?    

I actually quite like wearing it outside if the weather is cold.    The last maybe 20 times if exited the supermarket I rather than taking it off, if kept it on till I reach the Car.  

Why? If you're not getting to travel no matter what, why would it matter if a 70 year old gets to travel or not?

I suppose the alternative argument is that just because one group can't travel then why should everyone be stopped from doing so?  

This - I can’t travel so no one else should either!
Bearing in mind numerous people in the vaccinated age groups haven’t left the house and many of those vaccinated are NHS staff who have worked like f**k the entire pandemic, I don’t think they can be grudged a holiday over others.

Yeah I guess in hindsight it does come across as selfish from me. I think overall lockdown has restricted young people’s lives a lot more even though they aren’t likely going to get serious illness (I understand it’s been to prevent spread to older populations).

I think it’s funny that my Grandparents could be more likely to end up in Kavos than me[emoji23]

1 minute ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I'm hearing unconfirmed reports that the SG vaccinated less that150 people on Sunday.    If true Sturgeon MUST GO.  

Well they must have all been in the Dewars centre in Perth as my Dads partner went for her's , they were over booked with a long queue and she had a wait of about 30 minutes. Dad said to me it was all very different from when he was done at his Doctors the week before where he went in saw one other person in the waiting room and then got his jag and sat in his car for 15 minutes before going home.

Just now, cameron2000 said:

Yeah I guess in hindsight it does come across as selfish from me. I think overall lockdown has restricted young people’s lives a lot more even though they aren’t likely going to get serious illness (I understand it’s been to prevent spread to older populations).

I think it’s funny that my Grandparents could be more likely to end up in Kavos than meemoji23.png

It is a wee bit funny to think ibiza is more likely to be a saga destination this year, but i do feel for your generation missing out on these things, hopefully you’ll be able to get away towards the end of the summer man. 

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yeh it's just the negative results that are very accurate for the lateral flow tests, that's my understanding anyway

The elephant in the room that has never been fully addressed is that LFT & PCR have different uses. PCR will detect tiny fragments of RNA, whereas LFT will ignore people who aren't actually infectious.

The gov dismissed LFT as not good enough because they were using PCR to verify LFT negatives, and they didn't match.

They decided it was safer to go with the higher number of positives, presumably because they preferred to be cautious.