Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Not sure how I am make and arse of myself.  

Yes I have kids but I am also a teacher who wants to get back to face to face teaching with all my pupils as this home learning is not conducive to teach them the curriculum.

If you’re a teacher you might want to attend some remedial English classes 😂

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The local high school to us allows the kids to go run amok at lunch times in massive groups in the local shops etc, no masks and no distancing. Surely its reasonable to think the School has a responsibility to be a positive contributor to the community and not have the place flooded with kids unnecessarily at lunch times? Especially given the other demographic most likely to be in the same locale at this time is that which is most vulnerable to covid? Is it too much to expect that they get kids to stay in for the school canteen for now given everyone else is making sacrifices so that the kids can be at school above everything else? 

I understand what you are saying but short of falling every pupil around there is not much that can be done.  The school canteens are not big enough to house all pupils at once and to stagger all years in to smaller groups would probably need 2 - 3 hours. 

Sorry to get everyone's back up just wanted to defend the schools procedures as we done everything we could.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If you’re a teacher you might want to attend some remedial English classes 😂

Sorry, typing on my phone and didn't proof read.

By the way you missed the full stop at the end of your sentence.

Edited by The Stig

Just now, The Stig said:

I understand what you are saying but short of falling every pupil around there is not much that can be done.  The school canteens are not big enough to house all pupils at once and to stagger all years in to smaller groups would probably need 2 - 3 hours. 

Sorry to get everyone's back up just wanted to defend the schools procedures as we done everything we could.

^^^Janny.

2 minutes ago, The Stig said:

I don’t think anyone was actually complaining about school procedures. I certainly wasn’t. 

More the government and their blinkered thinking in terms of social distancing within schools being easily achievable. 

The local high school to us allows the kids to go run amok at lunch times in massive groups in the local shops etc, no masks and no distancing. Surely its reasonable to think the School has a responsibility to be a positive contributor to the community and not have the place flooded with kids unnecessarily at lunch times? Especially given the other demographic most likely to be in the same locale at this time is that which is most vulnerable to covid? Is it too much to expect that they get kids to stay in for the school canteen for now given everyone else is making sacrifices so that the kids can be at school above everything else? 

We were told to empty the building at every break and every lunch. Kids could get food at those times from the canteen but they had to pre-order in the morning and then as soon as they got their food they had to leave.

This was for both the internal cleaning of the building each lunch hour and to minimise the number of people in an enclosed space at a time of incredibly high traffic.

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think anyone was actually complaining about school procedures. I certainly wasn’t. 

More the government and their blinkered thinking in terms of social distancing within schools being easily achievable. 

I was not wanting to start any arguments but what got my back up was the reference that just because people saw teenagers without masks outside of the school grounds and out with school time, they naturally assumed that was the case within school.  My experience is definitely not the case and I felt I had to defend the procedures that were put in to place as all schools done everything they could just for a lot of people to give them the blame for rising cases 

Edited by The Stig

10 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Nobody was, they were pointing out that regardless of the procedures put in place, teenage pupils will not follow them and it makes the environment blatantly unsafe. 

Just now, stumigoo said:

We were told to empty the building at every break and every lunch. Kids could get food at those times from the canteen but they had to pre-order in the morning and then as soon as they got their food they had to leave.

This was for both the internal cleaning of the building each lunch hour and to minimise the number of people in an enclosed space at a time of incredibly high traffic.

Yeh but they have massive playgrounds and sports pitches. They could collect their order and head out to those? Stagger the times? 
CFE is about citizenship etc too, surely encouraging that should be a big focus right now, certainly can only speak for the school I see a lot and its not great, dont even see the teachers about the gates or whatever they did when I was back at school. 

The procedures that schools have had to enforce do next to nothing to stop the spread of the virus anyway. It does not matter if they're wearing a mask in the corridors when 20-30 people are sitting in a selection of rooms together all week. 

Yeh but they have massive playgrounds and sports pitches. They could collect their order and head out to those? Stagger the times? 
CFE is about citizenship etc too, surely encouraging that should be a big focus right now, certainly can only speak for the school I see a lot and its not great, dont even see the teachers about the gates or whatever they did when I was back at school. 

It’s difficult, each school will be different depending on their location. We are lucky as we can stagger and we do have enough around the school for pupils to go out. However, and I’m just playing devils advocate, we do have a number of smaller businesses who I know we’re absolutely desperate for the kids to be back as they make up such a huge percentage of their business. I also know that for some, the moment the pupils returned in August they completely pulled back from any distancing, masks etc in their own shops, because they were so desperate for the additional revenue, which I can sympathise with.

It’s an incredibly difficult thing to manage (especially when it involves a thousand teenagers).

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

The procedures that schools have had to enforce do next to nothing to stop the spread of the virus anyway. It does not matter if they're wearing a mask in the corridors when 20-30 people are sitting in a selection of rooms together all week. 

That may be true but we have to get normality eventually and we know that the virus is going to be around with us for a good while yet.  With the vaccines protecting the most at risk and the seasonality figures on the positive cases that look like they are going down, we should look to open up education slowly and it looks like we are starting to with the primary 1 to 3's and older kids with practical lessons rumoured to be the first 

I for one am fed up with the restrictions and look forward to getting my life back but it needs to start somewhere and I don't know what steps you take first apart from education?

45 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Literally no-one is criticising any school's procedures.

The fact remains that a large number of teenagers are not good at following instructions, either consciously or unconsciously.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Are we any closer to getting a route map? I’m guessing not with Leitch having Sturgeon’s ear.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/02/13/picnics-coffee-park-lockdown-lift-march-8-government-confirms/

It seems that Westminster are preparing to publish the basics of a route map out of this shit. The Tories are undoubtedly more animated because a significant number of their MPs disagree with any restrictions at all. 

In Scotland, as you say, the likes of Leitch seems to be governing when it comes to Covid. If England starts to lift restrictions though, the SG will come under huge pressure especially as our cases are less than England. 

37 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Nobody was, they were pointing out that regardless of the procedures put in place, teenage pupils will not follow them and it makes the environment blatantly unsafe. 

Thought that was a teenagers role in life. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/02/13/picnics-coffee-park-lockdown-lift-march-8-government-confirms/
It seems that Westminster are preparing to publish the basics of a route map out of this shit. The Tories are undoubtedly more animated because a significant number of their MPs disagree with any restrictions at all. 
In Scotland, as you say, the likes of Leitch seems to be governing when it comes to Covid. If England starts to lift restrictions though, the SG will come under huge pressure especially as our cases are less than England. 

You do know that Scotland has some pupils going back to school a fortnight before England?

Literally the only concrete measure, and it seems to be completely ignored.

54 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Your school and pupils might. Not everyone does. 

40 minutes ago, The Stig said:

That may be true but we have to get normality eventually and we know that the virus is going to be around with us for a good while yet.  With the vaccines protecting the most at risk and the seasonality figures on the positive cases that look like they are going down, we should look to open up education slowly and it looks like we are starting to with the primary 1 to 3's and older kids with practical lessons rumoured to be the first 

It won't be getting fully opened up anytime soon if 2 metre distancing is applied as there isn't the required space. Had the governments across the UK not tried to wave away this fact to get full-time classroom teaching underway as promised in autumn then we wouldn't have had the utter mess to deal with over the past six months. 

I for one am fed up with the restrictions and look forward to getting my life back but it needs to start somewhere and I don't know what steps you take first apart from education?

A: Ones that don't ramp up the R rate to near 1, and so place otherwise needless restrictions on every other part of society for weeks/months on end.

Just because politicians and a plurality of the UK public want to prioritise classroom schooling does not mean that it is sensible to do so. If we can open up sectors of the economy that have a far lower impact than schools instead, while further suppressing cases, then that's the best of both worlds. Once there's no widespread community transmission (level 2 and lower under the autumn tier system in Scotland), then you can open schools with much less impact. Anything else is putting the cart before the horse. 

Edited by vikingTON

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

Ones that don't ramp up the R rate to near 1, and so place otherwise needless restrictions on every other part of society for weeks/months on end.

I put a question mark at the end to start a discussion.  What do you think should be opened up first that won't cause this "ramp up" to happen without any risks?

Nothing in life is risk free and we have to start somewhere and that is where the 2 governments seems to be hanging their hat on to.

I am not trying to sound pissy I genuinely want to know what people believe the sequence of opening up of everything should be?

Edited by The Stig