Coronavirus (COVID-19)

29 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Test positivity below 5% is better news 

Reading through this guy's tweets the WHO no longer use the positivity rate we hear about each day. And it would seem the lateral flow tests don't get included in the numbers so that inflates the positivity rate as only positives from there get a PCR test.

Thank God we've got quality journalism in this country.............
I enjoyed how after days of comparing our speed of the rollout to that in England by the media how the sun decided to query why, after days where we have been better than England, we are focusing on England and not Wales or NI.

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Do we have guaranteed supplies to remain at 45k plus daily?

I had assumed that's why there was a 'stockpile' - to ensure a regular roll out of the vaccine over time as opposed to chucking it at folks and running out.

Douglas Ross especially seems to have a bit of difficulty in understanding that there is a need to ensure ongoing supply which is why you keep a reserve.

4 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Whilst the use of his rank etc might not have been exactly by the book, I think anyone who served in WW2 is pretty far removed from someone who spends a few years on a base in Germany then makes out he was a one man black op taking the fight to terrorists all around the world.

His use of rank was entirely by the book.  Captain and above can use their rank on leaving the forces.  

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

None of my relatives who served in the Second World War ever talked about their experiences (apart from my father who talked a little bit about guarding the Forth Bridge - that's what he spent the war doing - who saw colleagues killed on exercises). Not him, not my Uncle Jimmy (submariner), not my Uncle Dave (Desert Rat), not my Uncle Bob (Merchant Navy). Not the two fellas I knew who were at Dunkirk, other than to say they were at Dunkirk. Nor the 4 chaps I knew who were in Japanese/Italian PoW camps, other than to say they were prisoners.

Different generation. Nowadays it would be all over Facebook and Twitter.

And launching a go fund me page.

22 minutes ago, EdinburghPar1975 said:

I had assumed that's why there was a 'stockpile' - to ensure a regular roll out of the vaccine over time as opposed to chucking it at folks and running out.

Douglas Ross especially seems to have a bit of difficulty in understanding that there is a need to ensure ongoing supply which is why you keep a reserve.

Yeah I've now seen some numbers that may or may not be accurate. Suggests we already have around 1.3m doses, and of course have used around 660k.  We'll eat into those supplies over the next few weeks so the "stockpile" will reduce, but it does seem we'll have enough to maintain 50k+ thankfully.

27 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's some take on here that folk who have been saying they want the vaccination process to go faster will now be raging that it's going faster

The sad fact is there's some that clearly are.

The media questions to NS today should confirm that there's many who feel exactly that way and want to see failure for their own political ends.

I suppose a footballing analogy would be the "supporter" who wants the Manager sacked being furious about the teams excellent performance and 5-0 victory over the side at the top of the league.

As I mentioned earlier on the thread, my old man is due to get the jag on Tuesday. He's just phoned in a half huff to say that my mum, who is still in her 60s, has just had her letter to say that she will also be getting hers on the same day, an hour before him, and he's annoyed that all these young folk are being treated better than people of his age.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

The sad fact is there's some that clearly are.

The media questions to NS today should confirm that there's many who feel exactly that way and want to see failure for their own political ends.

I suppose a footballing analogy would be the "supporter" who wants the Manager sacked being furious about the teams excellent performance and 5-0 victory over the side at the top of the league.

The only football analogy I'm seeing here is that of gormless happyclappers in the main stand, braying 'and anyway, who would you get in instead?' All while some Jonatan Johannson level clownshoe is trying his best to get the team relegated on the park. 

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's some take on here that folk who have been saying they want the vaccination process to go faster will now be raging that it's going faster

Now that more vaccinations are happening, I'm sure the Scottish Government will give us every one of our civil liberties back once the rollout is complete.

I'm sure.

Now that more vaccinations are happening, I'm sure the Scottish Government will give us every one of our civil liberties back once the rollout is complete.
I'm sure.
The "lockdown for zero covid" crowd are thankfully increasingly having their pants pulled down in public by the work of real scientists. Once their previosuly complicit media senses the turn of public tide, they will turn too.

Posted at 13:19

Sturgeon: Overseas travel ban is a trade off in fight against virus

image.gif.522b14c35fe7fe9142e0c274107ca793.gif
BBCCopyright: BBC

Nicola Sturgeon has signalled overseas travel could be curtailed for months as part of an effort to help return school pupils to classrooms in Scotland.

The first minister confirmed the Scottish government intends to implement a "much more comprehensive" system of managed quarantine compared with proposals for England.

Sturgeon told her daily Covid briefing her strategy was "children first". "The trade off for us then is going to be not going overseas."

She said managed quarantine "will become an additional very important layer of protection" amid growing numbers of virus variants.

"I'm not able right now to give an end date," she said of the measures. "They have to be in place for as long as required."

Sturgeon said the oft-cited example of New Zealand - where the virus is largely eradicated - may not reflect Scotland's position.

She added that New Zealand had effectively shielded itself with a "ring of steel" in a way that may not be possible in Scotland.

I'm hoping those last two paragraphs means she at least realises the impossibility of 'Zero Covid'...

The rest, however, well...

On 03/02/2021 at 14:33, superbigal said:

Todays update:  Scotland drops below 7000 active cases. North Lanarkshire on the move to the 200 barrier down over 7% on the day which is great. The South of Scotland D&G & Borders seem to be joining the East and North in virtually all now at close or well sub 100 levels. The underlying bad news is that all the big drops are already at the foot of the infection table. Lots of rises on the West portion of the country.

So for our major cities you have Glasgow 193.0, Dundee 122.6, Edinburgh 67.4, Aberdeen 63.4  No schools open and all areas in lockdown for over a month.  Why are they not closer in numbers ?

Home Nations Infection  cases per 100K over the most up to date 7 days.

England 281.9 to 269.1 down 4.54%,  Wales 142.4 to 136.8 down 3.93%, Northern Ireland 212.8 to 207.7  down 2.40%

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    

Yesterdays figure 25th Jan to 31st Jan was 132.9

Todays figure for 26th Jan to 1st Feb is 128.1   Another  single Day drop of 3.61%. Infections have dropped every day (now TWENTY EIGHT days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 57.57%

Council 24 hour progress below

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

North Lanarkshire 216.5 to  201.2   Down 7.07%

Falkirk   174.0 to 194.5  Heading the wrong way and surged from mid table a few days ago to 2nd top. Very spread out so unlikely to drop quickly.

Glasgow City 199.3 to 193.0 

South Lanarkshire  189.1 to 183.4

West Dunbartonshire 175.4 to 183.3

Renfrewshire 172.5 to 177.0

East Renfrewshire  172.7 to 175.9 

North Ayrshire 183.3 to 173.7

East Dunbartonshire  169.4 to 165.7

East Ayrshire 166.4 to 165.6

Clackmannanshire 153.3 to 159.1

Inverclyde 147.8 to 149.1

West Lothian  142.0 to 140.9  

Stirling  142.2 to 138.0

Dundee City 123.9 to 122.6  

South Ayrshire  129.7 to 122.5

Dumfries & Galloway 131.0 to 114.2  At 12.82% drop  a standout of the day.

Midlothian   114.6 to 106.0

Perth & Kinross    113.2 to 102.7  Down over 9%

Angus  110.2 to 99.8   Down over 9% and through the 100 barrier.  

Western Isles  74.9 to 93.6  

Moray   89.8 to 88.7

Argyll & Bute   85.0 to 81.5

Fife  82.7 to  80.6

East Lothian 74.7  to 76.6

Scottish  Borders  83.1 to 69.3  At 16.61% drop a tremendous day.

City Of Edinburgh  70.7 to 67.4 

Aberdeen City  75.7 to 63.4   Outstanding for our 3rd biggest city to drop another 16.24%

Highlands 66.1 to 61.9

Aberdeenshire  68.9  to 59.0  Awesome 14.37% drop 

Orkney Island  18.0 to 9.0   

Shetland Islands  4.4 to 0.0   Covid Free again

Edited by superbigal