Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's still short of 400k a week, so still some way to go, but it's great to see them finally speeding up a bit.

I looks like they have built a properly scalable model which is good, but it has a few rungs to climb before we are at a peak, I hope anyway.

8 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

If we vaccinate at the rate of 45k per day (inc Sundays), we'll be through all adults by end of April (in Scotland).   Using the 12 week window as a guide, second jags will start around mid-April, so only a few weeks crossover at the end of the first jag process.  Come May, everyone will be in the second jag process which should conclude by around July.

That tallies with reports yesterday that the UK govt internally believes everyone will be done by August, which they won't admit to publicly yet.

Maybe the UK Gov actually means that everyone will be "offered" a jag by then,  Incidentally, how many weeks do residents of Care Homes in England have to wait for their second "offering"?.....and when does their first jag actually happen? 

6 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Is there not 2 or 3 mass vaccination centres coming online today and tomorrow which should increase capacity even more?

Yeah, there are a few coming on line this week and next.

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

channel 4 news seem to be on a lone mission to dig into the stats that the UKg are pumping out.

Wtf has it taken so long to basically debunk everything they have said this far.

Counting people offered and only doing types of care homes is no way to get us out this mess. We need to know exactly who has been done and make sure the most at risk are done first that's how we lower hospitalisations and deaths, which is the priority at the moment.

But, as we now know, the vaccines considerably cut transmission of the virus. So having a larger number of vaccinations given to a larger number of vulnerable people, is more beneficial to having slightly more done in one group and considerably less given out overall.

Of course, if the Scottish Government hits its target, this will largely be a moot point...

I just have visions of union flegs everywhere, people walking about in uniforms, saluting the queen before dinner and the odd re-enactment. Everyone trying to out story the next one with their tales of what they did in Nam and them all being so walter mitty that even though they all know each other is lying they just go along with it anyway??
You've been there, haven't you? A horrendous institution.

9 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Is there not 2 or 3 mass vaccination centres coming online today and tomorrow which should increase capacity even more?

NHS Lothian’s other mass vaccination centres include: The Pyramids Business Park in Bathgate and Queen Margaret University, which will be operational by mid-February.

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

But, as we now know, the vaccines considerably cut transmission of the virus. So having a larger number of vaccinations given to a larger number of vulnerable people, is more beneficial to having slightly more done in one group and considerably less given out overall.

Of course, if the Scottish Government hits its target, this will largely be a moot point...

But they have said, which I doubt, they are only counting folk that have been "offered" rather than actual numbers of folk that have seen a needle. 

Over 45k jagged yesterday. Superb effort that

Put into context that’s the equivalent of Perth’s population received their first dose yesterday.

96% of over 80’s under NHS Tayside have also received their first jab.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

But they have said, which I doubt, they are only counting folk that have been "offered" rather than actual numbers of folk that have seen a needle. 

The other UK nations have put more jags in arms than Scotland has at present. The 'offered' discrepancy refers to care homes only, yes?

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Dad got his jag today at Wishaw sports centre (he's 79, not shielding). Pfizer, they say he'll get his 2nd dose in 10-12 weeks. 

Probably the first time any one has been glad to go to Wishae....

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The other UK nations have put more jags in arms than Scotland has at present. The 'offered' discrepancy refers to care homes only, yes?

Given that many are moaning about NS being too negative (and I have sympathy with that view), maybe take today's news as a positive instead of looking for a downside......

They have started from this week to announce their daily running totals as "offered" hence this debate and suspicion has reared its head. Fuelled more by UKG ministers refusing point blank to address the change on numerous occasions now. Alex Thomson at CH4 now seems to have this bee in his bonnet so we might see some deeper scrutiny.

28 minutes ago, 101 said:

channel 4 news seem to be on a lone mission to dig into the stats that the UKg are pumping out.

Wtf has it taken so long to basically debunk everything they have said this far.

Counting people offered and only doing types of care homes is no way to get us out this mess. We need to know exactly who has been done and make sure the most at risk are done first that's how we lower hospitalisations and deaths, which is the priority at the moment.

If only it could have been predicted that this was a pile of obfuscatory, number fudging lies from the tories 

On 01/02/2021 at 22:56, madwullie said:

I struggle to believe Johnson is even able to play actual draughts, let alone the 8 or 9D version of chess  you're crediting to him here. 

Fantastic news if that many people have been vaccinated in that period of time, a real incredible effort considering they were lagging heavily behind our seemingly insurmountable  figures for so long, and we should see the grim numbers of deaths start to drop v quickly down south in care homes, probably trailing us by a bit which is brilliant for everyone 👍 

But I will not be the slightest but surprised if it transpires that there's some more to come out about this - some twisting of the figures, or the definitions, or care homes going Wtf? 

Absolutely no reason if what they meant was "we've jagged everyone we could," that they had to specifically use the word offered, and when asked about it, didn't say yeah mate we've jagged absolutely everyone we could. Zero need for smoke and mirrors imo and obfuscation, unless the aim was to get one up on the Scots because of talk of Indyref, in which case, sigh. 

And now a Whitehall source suggests every could be offered a jag by some surprisingly near by date. Again, amazing stuff, would genuinely love to see it, but why are we using the word offered again - is this the new terminology that means literally vaccinated everyone we possibly could, because iirc that's not what offered means.

They've shown time and again they're willing to use weasel words to turn this whole thing into a PR exercise, and I see no reason at all why that gameplan would suddenly have changed. 

I don't much trust the snp, but I trust them even less. They have used exactly the same  methods from day 1 too many examples to mention, but eg counting tests twice, counting tests sent in the post as tests completed etc etc of massaging the figures to make them look better than they are.