Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Exactly...vaccinate and ease vaccinate and ease go to fast then its 1 step forward 2 steps back 

Once we hit the end of April with all (or almost all) adults having received the first vaccination, and heading into summer, I don't forsee any steps back.

By the time we hit October and the start of the "winter surge" all adults will have been vaccinated twice.  By then, we need to be back to normal because that is as good as it is going to get.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

It won't matter a f**k if we decide to still measure the pandemic in new cases which for some bizarre reason seems to be the direction of travel. BBC this morning floating the notion that running nose and sneezing might get added to the symptoms prompting a test ffs. We will be testing (and hence finding) tens of thousands more 'cases' if that happens.

Once we get well into this vaccination program surely new cases become irrelevant and it all becomes about illness serious enough to require hospitals ie strain on the NHS. Even Sunak is commenting on the clear shift of emphasis.

I had a routine appointment at Gartnavel last month and the list of Covid symptoms posted on the wall in the ward ran to about ten, including sneezing and a runny nose.

It really shouldn't matter much any more, so long as no government is stupid enough to follow Clownshoes Leitch's '50 cases per 100k before we can possibly open up!' drivel. 

56 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

We should DEFINITELY listen to Rishi fucking Sunak, an investment banker who had the great idea of eat out to help out which has been a confirmed link to the late summer spike in cases due to them opening up everything too early and let them do it another time as opposed to the scientists who are continuing to say take it slow while the vaccine roll outs ramps up and then we may avoid having to go backwards again.

That's DEFINITELY what we should do.

'The Scientists' are not some hive mind that hold a consensus view on this or indeed  anything else beyond some basic facts. 

It's also laughable to see anyone try to blame discounted hospitality for the second wave of cases, as opposed to chucking dozens of folk inside classrooms for 30 hours per week with no credible infection control measures. Which had the near unanimous support of every political party in the UK despite baking in a surge in infections and another lockdown.

There has to be an adult in the room somewhere who recognises that endless lockdowns, furlough schemes and huddling at home because of big scary virus is on the cusp of doing more net harm to society than good in the foreseeable future, and so putting a stop to it. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Once we hit the end of April with all (or almost all) adults having received the first vaccination, and heading into summer, I don't forsee any steps back.

By the time we hit October and the start of the "winter surge" all adults will have been vaccinated twice.  By then, we need to be back to normal because that is as good as it is going to get.

I dont disagree with any of that but easing too quick isnt the way forward.The much vaunted Israel is likely to go back into lockdown again the press over there is reporting 

48 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Problem is with still c30k folk in hospitals in mid winter they really can't ease up until they are confident the vaccine is stopping significant illness - and preliminary data from Israel suggests it does but they're obviously not doing it exactly our way- so if he gets his way and they open right up there is a real danger they go backwards again. Twice they've done it and ended up hammered, I honestly don't think they'll do it a third time.

Please explain how exactly mass vaccination would not stop significant illness. Israel's data is firmly in 'do bears shit in the woods territory', yet for some reason a large section of the UK population has been literally scared stupid enough to claim that we just don't know if it can work here.

36 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
48 minutes ago, super_carson said:
I find myself agreeing with a Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer...
200.gif&key=e9ff6ff11cd531be287fe2d0842c8c75ed85b6f96fbb910ec841fa0d68d5f350

In all seriousness, it's not so much about saying he's 100% right but it's about now listening to a wider-pool of experts.  Lockdowns have a positive effect on virus rates, but a negative effect on just about everything else.  We need to be listening to all the experts to plot a sustainable way forward.  No one, not even Sunak, is suggesting we lift all the restrictions tomorrow but there has to be a rational discussion that will involve compromises and the "grown up discussion" that we, in Scotland, were promised.

We are ahead of England in that as it stands now though. We have the knowledge that as long as the drops continue we will get indicative dates come next review on 16 Feb.

I'm fully expecting Bozo to publish a route map out of effectively all restrictions in a couple of weeks, while what I'm anticipating from Sturgeon is a long, drawn out return to sanitised pish.

13 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I think it’s more a case of her standing socially distanced away from him.
With his track record of shaking hands, ignoring his own guidance on travel and having affairs I don’t blame her.

They're no married yet. She still has time to see sense.

4 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I dont disagree with any of that but easing too quick isnt the way forward.The much vaunted Israel is likely to go back into lockdown again the press over there is reporting 

I don't think Israel have come out of lockdown, but they're talking opening borders around April/May.

I agree that lifting too early could cause some issues, but I can't see that happening.  8th March seems to be the date where we'll get some easing and by then, all vulnerable groups will have had their first jag.  I predict by end of April/early May every adult will have had a jag (who wants one), so at that point there should be no reason not to get back to at least where we were last summer.

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

I had a routine appointment at Gartnavel last month and the list of Covid symptoms posted on the wall in the ward ran to about ten, including sneezing and a runny nose.

Just before we went back into Tier 4, our local hairdresser had a sign up saying something like "Please do not enter if you feel unwell or have a runny nose". It's November in Scotland, pal, nearly everyone has a runny nose.

31 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I just have visions of union flegs everywhere, people walking about in uniforms, saluting the queen before dinner and the odd re-enactment. Everyone trying to out story the next one with their tales of what they did in Nam and them all being so walter mitty that even though they all know each other is lying they just go along with it anyway??

That's is it! Coppers can get in too.

As well as the down on their luck old Majors with shiny elbows on their blazers. There is the odd younger vet all bulging eyes, veins and PTSD just ready to go over the edge.

It was cheap!

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Just now, craigkillie said:

Just before we went back into Tier 4, our local hairdresser had a sign up saying something like "Please do not enter if you feel unwell or have a runny nose". It's November in Scotland, pal, nearly everyone has a runny nose.

This. How many people are losing money due to having to self isolate because of having a wee cough that they probably get every fucking winter anyway??

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

As well as the down on their luck old Majors with shiny elbows on their blazers. There is the odd younger vet all bulging eyes, veins and PTSD just ready to go over the edge.

It was cheap!

Sounds awesome.   Be good to spend a night in the bar, sitting in the corner, just observing.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

I don't think Israel have come out of lockdown, but they're talking opening borders around April/May.

I agree that lifting too early could cause some issues, but I can't see that happening.  8th March seems to be the date where we'll get some easing and by then, all vulnerable groups will have had their first jag.  I predict by end of April/early May every adult will have had a jag (who wants one), so at that point there should be no reason not to get back to at least where we were last summer.

Yip apoligies they are extending there lockdown because too many cases in icu and they are getting younger patients

I just dont want to be in a position were we are all vaccinated but back stuck in the house because they opened up to early.Id rather take an extra few weeks and then its done and dusted and we can go for a pint and go to the fitba etc 

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yip apoligies they are extending there lockdown because too many cases in icu and they are getting younger patients

I just dont want to be in a position were we are all vaccinated but back stuck in the house because they opened up to early.Id rather take an extra few weeks and then its done and dusted and we can go for a pint and go to the fitba etc 

Yip, totally agree although in theory at least that threat recedes every single day as we vaccinate another 600k.

Israel's issue is that Covid has been rampant since the turn of the year (fourth wave) and they started vaccinating in the midst of that. It doesn't appear that their more "devout" members of their community have been giving much of a f*ck about self-isolation throughout, which is probably a big part of the problem.

Edited by Burnieman

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It was cheap!

Do they? I know some will let them know incase they wanna go to London and be fucking terrified for a weekend. 
Why do vets get ptsd? Who knew animal husbandry was so dangerous???