Coronavirus (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im not going to lie, id rather holiday in Aleppo than visit the union jack club. 

My boss chose it, as at the time we got a nightly allowance, less spent on accommodation, left more for drink. Happier, simpler times. Now they put us in proper hotels and drink can't be included in expenses claims.

Try explaining to a foreign hotel or bar worker that you want a pint, but put it through as soup, very frustrating.

10 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

We should DEFINITELY listen to Rishi fucking Sunak, an investment banker who had the great idea of eat out to help out which has been a confirmed link to the late summer spike in cases due to them opening up everything too early and let them do it another time as opposed to the scientists who are continuing to say take it slow while the vaccine roll outs ramps up and then we may avoid having to go backwards again.

That's DEFINITELY what we should do.

You don't have to hand him the reigns but there should be more and louder voices from his side of the argument bringing some balance to the discussion.

The 'zero covid' argument is a nice one for epidemiologists etc but it's a fantasy when you look at the state of the economy. This country is going to be paying for this for several years. That's a lot of suffering to come, getting worse with every extension to lockdown imposed.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Someone I know in the army outed him as a bit of an old fraud over the summer...using the rank of retired captain in civilian life is a bit sketchy in itself, as lieutenant and captain are basically the baby officer ranks and you're not entitled to use them after you leave. It's not strictly illegal, but it's certainly frowned upon. Add in the fact he seems to have left as only an acting captain meaning that he would have reverted to his permanent rank (lieutenant) on leaving and thus it also very much looks like he was bullshitting about what rank he actually was for 70+ years...

Despite the lip service hero worship they were forced to show to the public, from what I was told the actual army of today pretty much had the measure of him - he was described to me as a bit of an old walt...had to ask what that meant, and it's apparently an army term for ex-services pub bore types who exaggerate what they got up to and how important they were...the ex-army cook who claims to have been in the SAS type of thing...it's apparently short for Walter Mitty.

I’ll take that.

I find myself agreeing with a Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer...

american soldiers GIF

In all seriousness, it's not so much about saying he's 100% right but it's about now listening to a wider-pool of experts.  Lockdowns have a positive effect on virus rates, but a negative effect on just about everything else.  We need to be listening to all the experts to plot a sustainable way forward.  No one, not even Sunak, is suggesting we lift all the restrictions tomorrow but there has to be a rational discussion that will involve compromises and the "grown up discussion" that we, in Scotland, were promised.  

Edited by super_carson

Sunak is certainly right about the shifting goalposts. There has been some amount of backsliding going on just about since the vaccines were approved. He's also right that this has to be the last time we lockdown. 

That said, the timing of exit is key. Numbers are going in the right direction so it's crucial we don't bugger it all up by exiting at the wrong moment . Let's focus on getting as many vaccines administered as we can and hopefully we can start getting restrictions rolled back once the vulnerable groups are vaccinated. If the vaccine rollout slips, we all suffer. That's where the immediate pressure needs to be and in the meantime get the roadmap ready. 

Edited by Michael W

45 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

None of my relatives who served in the Second World War ever talked about their experiences (apart from my father who talked a little bit about guarding the Forth Bridge - that's what he spent the war doing - who saw colleagues killed on exercises). Not him, not my Uncle Jimmy (submariner), not my Uncle Dave (Desert Rat), not my Uncle Bob (Merchant Navy). Not the two fellas I knew who were at Dunkirk, other than to say they were at Dunkirk. Nor the 4 chaps I knew who were in Japanese/Italian PoW camps, other than to say they were prisoners.

Different generation. Nowadays it would be all over Facebook and Twitter.

As I've explained before. My Father lied about his age during the war. He told them he was 13 and got evacuated.

Despite new hubs opening on Monday, the numbers this week being circa 40k and Scotland looking like it will meet the mid-Feb target for priority groups the Scottish Tories are clearly going to claim that (the not even introduced yet) 81 'British' troops will have been the reason for the upswing.

Edited by Ned Nederlander

I find myself agreeing with a Tory Chancellor of the Exchequer...
200.gif&key=e9ff6ff11cd531be287fe2d0842c8c75ed85b6f96fbb910ec841fa0d68d5f350

In all seriousness, it's not so much about saying he's 100% right but it's about now listening to a wider-pool of experts.  Lockdowns have a positive effect on virus rates, but a negative effect on just about everything else.  We need to be listening to all the experts to plot a sustainable way forward.  No one, not even Sunak, is suggesting we lift all the restrictions tomorrow but there has to be a rational discussion that will involve compromises and the "grown up discussion" that we, in Scotland, were promised.  

We are ahead of England in that as it stands now though. We have the knowledge that as long as the drops continue we will get indicative dates come next review on 16 Feb.

26 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

We should DEFINITELY listen to Rishi fucking Sunak, an investment banker who had the great idea of eat out to help out which has been a confirmed link to the late summer spike in cases due to them opening up everything too early and let them do it another time as opposed to the scientists who are continuing to say take it slow while the vaccine roll outs ramps up and then we may avoid having to go backwards again.

Man who didnt want lockdown still doesnt want lockdown....usual suspects agree 

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
46 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
I think we can also take from that, that come come 1st May it will be  "you'll have had your furlough"

In general although targeted support for entertainment and the holiday / flight sector will need to remain

Some of it will, nighclubs, concert venues, etc.  However come May, there is no reason why pubs and restaurants cannot be open at least as we had it last summer - assuming at the end of April all adults have had their first jab, which looks very achievable.

For the travel sector, some industry "experts" predict May as the time we'll see short haul Euro breaks re-appear. Probably a bit optimistic, but by then travel companies should have a stronger idea of where we're headed and as such, taking bookings.  I think airlines have had their support.

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Some of it will, nighclubs, concert venues, etc.  However come May, there is no reason why pubs and restaurants cannot be open at least as we had it last summer - assuming at the end of April all adults have had their first jab, which looks very achievable.

For the travel sector, some industry "experts" predict May as the time we'll see short haul Euro breaks re-appear. Probably a bit optimistic, but by then travel companies should have a stronger idea of where we're headed and as such, taking bookings.  I think airlines have had their support.

Exactly...vaccinate and ease vaccinate and ease go to fast then its 1 step forward 2 steps back 

26 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

My boss chose it, as at the time we got a nightly allowance, less spent on accommodation, left more for drink. Happier, simpler times. Now they put us in proper hotels and drink can't be included in expenses claims.

Try explaining to a foreign hotel or bar worker that you want a pint, but put it through as soup, very frustrating.

I just have visions of union flegs everywhere, people walking about in uniforms, saluting the queen before dinner and the odd re-enactment. Everyone trying to out story the next one with their tales of what they did in Nam and them all being so walter mitty that even though they all know each other is lying they just go along with it anyway??

42 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

32 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Problem is with still c30k folk in hospitals in mid winter they really can't ease up until they are confident the vaccine is stopping significant illness - and preliminary data from Israel suggests it does but they're obviously not doing it exactly our way- so if he gets his way and they open right up there is a real danger they go backwards again. Twice they've done it and ended up hammered, I honestly don't think they'll do it a third time.

Once the vulnerable have been vaccinated you won't have 30k in hospital, you'll have even less in ICU and barely any c**t will be dying. Restrictions should therefore disappear.

37 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, you could end up with soup in a pint glass. Or lager in a bowl.

3 minutes ago, philpy said:

Now there is talk of a "sir tom" statue in London. If it happens, how Iong till the concrete codger gets launched in the Trafalgar fountain due to links with the slave trade??

Worse still, groups of middle-aged women could gather to throw their pants at it.

Image result for sim tom jones funny

If we’re going to white-knight the Chancellor for saying something we want to hear, at least white-knight him for something he has the guts to say publicly rather than leak to friendly journalists at the Telegraph and then completely deny when they’re made public.

This is all part of brand Rishi[emoji769] positioning himself for PM when they get fed up of Johnson. Get the shitmunchers on the backbenches on side and it’s a done deal.