Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I've got my Granpa's campaign medals in a box.  I keep meaning to get them mounted and display them.  Not because I have any kind of raging hardon for ARE BOIS, but as a memory of what he went through.

You are going to wear them all on your orange away top next time you get into Ibrox, don't even try to pretend otherwise.  Your hipster-Rangers fan act is fooling no-one.

Whilst the glamorisation and glorification of war is extremely distasteful, I think those who served in ww2 can be proud of their involvement.  They were, in the main, ordinary men who were conscripted to fight facists, not career soliders like today who had a choice in joining up.  
And, whilst the above maybe oversimplifies the politics of it, I dont think it can really be argued that Britain should not have been involved or picked the wrong side.
Agree with the reluctance to talk about it.  One of my grandfathers served in Burma in WW2 and spent a not inconsiderable amount of time in a japanese POW camp.  He certainly wasnt eager to tell tales about volleyball on the beach or fine dining abroad.
Yeah iv worded that wrongly because I do think those who fought in WW2 especially can be proud of their actions and we of them. Of course we are way beyond that now right enough with the Nation level crywanking every year.

Glorification a better choice of word.

Things done out of necessity and best consigned to history, but not allowed to be by folk who werent there and dont have to live with the image of butchering folk just like them.

This is the one thing that I have of his that he brought back.  He got a hold of a Luger and some American had this and begged him to swap it.
My Granpa got the much better deal imho.  The leather case is really lovely and the flask is crystal with a silver cap.  
*Wee hands. 
20210204_101235.thumb.jpg.5bcb6c482b3a0170914799c2dbe1df23.jpg
20210204_101248.thumb.jpg.a42543ddcdf01e1e5a864c9875cbc847.jpg
20210204_101258.thumb.jpg.a79c733bb94e26fa032c47ea4376a305.jpg
Just about squeeze a 25ml dram into that I'd imagine.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

You are going to wear them all on your orange away top next time you get into Ibrox, don't even try to pretend otherwise.  Your hipster-Rangers fan act is fooling no-one.

You've just described my attire for when the missus and I perform our nuptials. 

1 minute ago, Hillonearth said:

I imagine back then it would have been shorthand for him being a faux-posh social climber...the joke of him being a retired army captain probably would have resonated a lot more in the 70s when a much greater proportion of the population would have had served in the military at some point, whether it was WW2, national service or the fact that the UK had a much bigger standing army than it does now.

That's kinda what I was getting at.  Part of the joke was he wasn't a Major, he was a mere Captain.

My grandfather is far from one to harp on about the war in day to day life, but now always gets contacted by the press whenever D-Day remembrance comes around (as one of very few survivors still around).  To him the heroes are those in the ground over there, not him who got gunned down and spent months and months in a hospital in Southampton.  For me, this is quite a chilling quote:

"My introduction to D-Day was seeing a soldier lying face up in the water, dead. He was quite peaceful, but quite dead – and that’s something you never forget."

Edited by Hedgecutter

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I wonder how much Sturgeon will continue to drag her feet, though. bQshDtu.png&key=1a9e11e2f19a969ee15b38033f6c0456d674c7a29810b3a5943ebd042cf0fb2f
I think Sunaks comments today are aimed at Westminster who appear to be following the exact same ultra cautious line.

I think we can also take from that, that come come 1st May it will be  "you'll have had your furlough"

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

To him the heroes are those in the ground over there, not him who got gunned down and spent months and months in a hospital in Southampton.

I rewatched the Band of Brothers serial recently and during the interviews of the real soldiers, this is basically what they said that they're not heroes but the ones who gave the ultimate sacrifice are. Many of them were understandably not keen to talk about their experiences for many years until the book and then program came out

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I wonder how much Sturgeon will continue to drag her feet, though. bQshDtu.png&key=1a9e11e2f19a969ee15b38033f6c0456d674c7a29810b3a5943ebd042cf0fb2f
I think Sunaks comments today are aimed at Westminster who appear to be following the exact same ultra cautious line.

True of course, but up here is another level.

If comments and rhetoric like this from some so-called 'medical experts' and 'independent SAGE' don't chill you to the bone, then I think they should, and you should re-evaluate things.

Edited by Elixir

We should DEFINITELY listen to Rishi fucking Sunak, an investment banker who had the great idea of eat out to help out which has been a confirmed link to the late summer spike in cases due to them opening up everything too early and let them do it another time as opposed to the scientists who are continuing to say take it slow while the vaccine roll outs ramps up and then we may avoid having to go backwards again.

That's DEFINITELY what we should do.

24 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It won't matter a f**k if we decide to still measure the pandemic in new cases which for some bizarre reason seems to be the direction of travel. BBC this morning floating the notion that running nose and sneezing might get added to the symptoms prompting a test ffs. We will be testing (and hence finding) tens of thousands more 'cases' if that happens.

Once we get well into this vaccination program surely new cases become irrelevant and it all becomes about illness serious enough to require hospitals ie strain on the NHS. Even Sunak is commenting on the clear shift of emphasis.

Wtf - I thought it was pretty well established that those absolutely 100% weren't symptoms? 

Just read the article which references Sunak's views on lockdown.

While it pains me to agree with a Tory, Sunak seems like the least idiotic of the bunch and its somewhat reassuring for someone at his level to make the point that lockdown was all about protecting the NHS and should never have been about zero covid which seems to be the direction that some people want to go.

Problem is with still c30k folk in hospitals in mid winter they really can't ease up until they are confident the vaccine is stopping significant illness - and preliminary data from Israel suggests it does but they're obviously not doing it exactly our way- so if he gets his way and they open right up there is a real danger they go backwards again. Twice they've done it and ended up hammered, I honestly don't think they'll do it a third time.