Coronavirus (COVID-19)

29 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Honestly cant be done with the attention seeking grief merchants who frequent social media. Saw this though and immediately thought "coming to a poundshop near you soon" Fcking hell 😬

FB_IMG_1612397665818.jpg

So much for inclusivity in the Kingdom of God. Poor colonel sir captain field Marshall tom left looking a bell end begging for a hand up the stairs. 

9 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

IMG_1612393031.160796.jpgSome people are now trying to raise the dead, either that or they are planning to display his body somewhere!

Imagine how odd you have to be to creat that. They could have at least made it realistic and not had a few bloaters in his poppy possy. 

50 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Has he been outed as a wartime sexpest yet?

Someone I know in the army outed him as a bit of an old fraud over the summer...using the rank of retired captain in civilian life is a bit sketchy in itself, as lieutenant and captain are basically the baby officer ranks and you're not entitled to use them after you leave. It's not strictly illegal, but it's certainly frowned upon. Add in the fact he seems to have left as only an acting captain meaning that he would have reverted to his permanent rank (lieutenant) on leaving and thus it also very much looks like he was bullshitting about what rank he actually was for 70+ years...

Despite the lip service hero worship they were forced to show to the public, from what I was told the actual army of today pretty much had the measure of him - he was described to me as a bit of an old walt...had to ask what that meant, and it's apparently an army term for ex-services pub bore types who exaggerate what they got up to and how important they were...the ex-army cook who claims to have been in the SAS type of thing...it's apparently short for Walter Mitty.

Almost no one of the admittedly small sample size I have ever known, who was involved in the war, didnt wish to speak of it, nor did they consider themselves an "army man" post leaving (unsurprising to see normal people no longer defining themselves by something they gave up seven decades ago)

Thus, I am deeply suspicious of anyone who joined up for the war and continues to harp on about it 70 years later.

All of that said, despite having little interest in the old boy and the media circus, I really would prefer it if is the case that he was largely oblivious to it all and his horrific daughter was dressing him up like a GI Geriatric doll.

25 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Someone I know in the army outed him as a bit of an old fraud over the summer...using the rank of retired captain in civilian life is a bit sketchy in itself, as lieutenant and captain are basically the baby officer ranks and you're not entitled to use them after you leave. It's not strictly illegal, but it's certainly frowned upon. Add in the fact he seems to have left as only an acting captain meaning that he would have reverted to his permanent rank (lieutenant) on leaving and thus it also very much looks like he was bullshitting about what rank he actually was for 70+ years...

Despite the lip service hero worship they were forced to show to the public, from what I was told the actual army of today pretty much had the measure of him - he was described to me as a bit of an old walt...had to ask what that meant, and it's apparently an army term for ex-services pub bore types who exaggerate what they got up to and how important they were...the ex-army cook who claims to have been in the SAS type of thing...it's apparently short for Walter Mitty.

I stayed in the Union Jack club in London. It's basically a NAAFI/Hotel for service and ex-service personnel. I got in as a Servant of Her Majesty. Anyway, it's full of these old boys, some live in it permanently. Think Captain Tom and The Major from Fawlty Towers, in the same bar as Sergeant Major Williams and Corporal Jones. Early on it was all salutes and discipline. You'd think a bomb had gone off in the bar at the end of the night as the wounded got carried out.

Good laugh though.

https://www.ujclub.co.uk 

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

SAS stands for Super army soldier.

They have a Territorial Army version, Saturdays and Sundays.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

36 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Why do people have these moon units as "friends" on social media?

I find you get most of these things shared in local Facebook groups.

Local Facebook groups are really interesting.  I recently moved house from a more, er, robust area to a slightly more upmarket one.  I've been added to a local group in a new one and have them both in parallel, it's interesting to see the differences and similarities.  The previous one was clearly from a more economically deprived area, some of the items offered for sale were very shabby - one person the other day was selling an open bottle of Tia Maria.  It's amusing until you realise that people selling stuff like that are likely completely destitute.  There was also a lot of complaints about anti-social behaviour (teenagers levelling rocks at passing cars is a recent trend) and a lot of complaints about fly tipping, which is a problem around the area.  You'd also get people asking for work for themselves or family, an indication of how things are going in the world.

The new area has some of the same stuff - complaints about antisocial behaviour of teenagers seem to go across social boundaries.  The recent snow saw a lot of people complaining about teeangers throwing blocks of ice at cars and also some discussion about stolen sledges.  I haven't seen any items offered for sale though and nobody trying to find a job.  There are people in the new areas Facebook page who regularly appeal for donations to the foodbank that serves the other area - I didn't move far.  I wonder if the woman selling the half drunk bottle of booze on the old group will be going to the foodbank that the new group collects for.  

Neither group has a huge number of messages about Captain Tom, a couple in each.  It certainly doesn't seem to be at all part of the public conciousness.  It does make me wonder if there's a huge groundswell behind this 'Clap For Tom' thing or if it's just driven via the media and a few loud people.  It's like a few weeks ago when the woman who started the Thursday night clap said it was coming back - you had media types all lined up, Channel 4 News brought back their live coverage of it but nobody in the real world did it and it was quietly shelved.

27 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Whilst the use of his rank etc might not have been exactly by the book, I think anyone who served in WW2 is pretty far removed from someone who spends a few years on a base in Germany then makes out he was a one man black op taking the fight to terrorists all around the world.