Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Mind that getting better isn't the only way of leaving ICU 😉

...and that's a legitimate question for the SG to answer.   There's a higher level of deaths in Scottish hospitals than you'd expect given case numbers and hospitalisations.  

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

I've only been administrating the Pfizer thus far but last I heard there was no 15 minute monitoring required for Oxford vaccine.

I've had a couple of colleagues receive the Oxford so I will ask them if they had to sit and be monitored.

More curious than anything tbh. Being able to get through more vaccines per hour would obviously be good

To give you an example of what we are dealing with here.

My wife has a job with the NHS involved with data around about vaccination. 

They made 2 posts. One works Mon-Fri. The other Wed-Sun so that there is a 7 day service.

The other woman wants AL so my wife gets asked to cover her shifts. When my wife asks who is covering her shifts this doesnt seem to have occurred to anyone and she is basically being asked to do 14 days in a row. Nobody seemed to have considered this situation might arise.

Being an #NHSAngle the wife agrees to do the 14 days until HR point out she isn't allowed to work 14 days.

Anyway I'm sure it will all be fine 

Well anecdotally, i got mine last night, and my auld faither (who's 81 and nearly died with the virus last summer after refusing to take up a ventilator space in hospital) was done a fortnight ago.

If you take out my two young kids that's a decent percentage of my family... Anecdotally.

The Kings Cross centre in Dundee was pretty busy last night, and they were rattling through folk at a good rate. Most folk didn't look like they were in their 80s either. It was good to see.
Wrong end of the stick totally. Wasn't referring to vaccines.

29 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Total policy is 48 hours in the hotel. Shell aren’t bothering a f**k, my mate gets a temperature check at CHC and that’s it.

Let's take a few hundred people from all across the UK, assume none have Covid because they passed a temperature test at check-in (walking in from the cold no doubt), stick them in a steel box out at sea for a few weeks and keep sending chopper loads of new personnel in every few days.  What could possibly go wrong?

17 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I've only been administrating the Pfizer thus far but last I heard there was no 15 minute monitoring required for Oxford vaccine.

I've had a couple of colleagues receive the Oxford so I will ask them if they had to sit and be monitored.

My Parents got the AZ jag last week and were both in and out the surgery in under 10 mins.

Correct no official monitoring needed for AZ.
However I understand when I get called for my vaccine. I will answer yes to possible anaphylaxis (been hospitalised in past). If it is AZ or Pfizer then in that circumstance they will monitor me.
I believe I am allergic quite badly for some reason in last few years to ibuprofen. Not taken one to test the theory for a few years. 99.99% sure that makes me eligible for any of the vaccines.

So after being incorrectly classified since last March (should have been group 6, not group 4) and told to shield, they sent me a letter telling me I don’t need to shield anymore.

But they did that too late to stop my vaccine offer being sent out - first jab booked for Saturday.

Sometimes incompetence works in your favour.

The EU won't be needing all those AZ vaccines, then... 
Seems like there was an oversight on the trial and that's about it. They had 1 case in the control group and 1 case in the vaccinated group, so the data doesnt say much. 
I thought maybe it could have been something to with the trial pausing but the woman with spinal issues was only 37. Presumably they've been doing fairly similar trials for decades so a simple oversight is hard to understand.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

No, they are snowmen murdering arseholes. We'll be clapping for snowmen instead.

I would say a moment of quiet respect is more appropriate for the brutal decapitation of a snowman.

Applause? Get a grip of yourself.

9 minutes ago, charger29 said:
1 hour ago, Michael W said:
The EU won't be needing all those AZ vaccines, then... 
Seems like there was an oversight on the trial and that's about it. They had 1 case in the control group and 1 case in the vaccinated group, so the data doesnt say much. 

I thought maybe it could have been something to with the trial pausing but the woman with spinal issues was only 37. Presumably they've been doing fairly similar trials for decades so a simple oversight is hard to understand.

From what I read the initial participants were younger and they only started bumping up the numbers of older participants at a later stage. Unfortunately the data is a small sample, can't take that away to be fair. 

Maybe they made a call on ethical grounds to keep the participants younger in case it didn't work? Really not sure to be honest. 

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

The drop in cases per 100k seem to have plateaued which is a shame. With the restrictions we're under is this a sign that people have just got fed up and chucked it? Not having a go if that's the case but we were making good progress until this week.

Would guess with absolutely no expertise on the matter that the restrictions can only have so much effect - there's probably still some natural rate of infection that is driven by the things that are still open.