Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Genuinely surprised at the clamour for us to follow the English lead in the next few months. I get NS' approach is too Conservative for some, but the mob down south have made f**k up after f**k up, u turn after u turn, and looking at it objectively, have almost seemed to be encouraging the virus to spread throughout the whole shitshow. 

Eat out to help out, waiting until it was almost pointless to have even the most basic checks at airports, opening the schools for one fucking day, Boris saves Christmas, billion pound contracts for m8s, etc etc etc etc etc.

London and the South East have been in proper lockdown far longer than we've endured recently up here, all as a result of their disastrous flip flopping policy making, and its been suggested that had they had the balls to stop people going abroad for piss ups in the summer, we might even be in a situation where we have many multiples fewer cases, hospitalisations and deaths than we currently have.

I mean, I get the snp are about a million miles from blameless here, but to be gantin on the UK govt imposing looser restrictions on us than our govt would like because Matt "verge of tears" Hancock hinted we might just get to go a holiday in the summer (a promise he'll have zero problem ditching last minute, as previously shown, if it looks like a stupid decision 2 months down the line)... It just seems bonkers to me. 

If everywhere else is opening up, the numbers are miles down, and the vaccines prove to be as effective as they are looking, then all this will be possible without humping the Tories' leg now because they've shown a bit of ankle. 

Edited by madwullie

14 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Be quite fitting to get his corpse hitched to a dozen drones and do a flyover of the whole nation. Maybe have him flanked by spitfires. State funeral afterwards at the absolute minimum. 

Suspect his daughter will set up a gofundme soon to help "give him the send off he always wanted". In Bali. 

Can The Rangers not use that extra £40k and drop his ashes from the Red Arrows in a few weeks. 

29 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Likewise don't have anything against him personally, but it's been a window into Britain's deeply disturbed national psyche from the second he burst onto the scene.

When you think about it, the country was applauding a centenarian doing laps of his garden to raise money for a collapsing welfare state.

How the f**k does that sit right with people? :lol:

I don’t think anyone thinks the NHS should need to benefit from charity or that it sits right with people that he felt he needed to do it.

I don’t know how it turned into so many people having a go at him for it or the people who congratulated him for doing it though.

He was basically a nice old man who raised money for something he believed in. I find it mad that some people couldn’t separate the two and still congratulate him on his efforts without it being some kind of reflection on their views of NHS underfunding.

Edited by Jambomo

Genuinely surprised at the clamour for us to follow the English lead in the next few months. I get NS' approach is too Conservative for some, but the mob down south have made f**k up after f**k up, u turn after u turn, and looking at it objectively, have almost seemed to be encouraging the virus to spread throughout the whole shitshow. 
Eat out to help out, waiting until it was almost pointless to have even the most basic checks at airports, opening the schools for one fucking day, Boris saves Christmas, billion pound contracts for m8s, etc etc etc etc etc.
London and the South East have been in proper lockdown far longer than we've endured recently up here, all as a result of their disastrous flip flopping policy making, and its been suggested that had they had the balls to stop people going abroad for piss ups in the summer, we might even be in a situation where we have many multiples fewer cases, hospitalisations and deaths than we currently have.
I mean, I get the snp are about a million miles from blameless here, but to be gantin on the UK govt imposing looser restrictions on us than our govt would like because Matt "verge of tears" Hancock hinted we might just get to go a holiday in the summer (a promise he'll have zero problem ditchingnlast minute, as previously shown, if it looks like a stupid decision 2 months down the line. It just seems bonkers to me. 
If everywhere else is opening up, the numbers are miles down, and the vaccines prove to be as effective as they are looking, then all this will be possible without humping the Tories' leg now because they've shown a bit of ankle. 
London was pretty much open till about a week before Xmas, Wullie. Glasgow has been in tier 4 since September or some fucking nonsense like that so bit of a swing and a miss wi that one.

5 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

"Captain Tom Moore defended by Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby over Barbados trip as he fights Covid in hospital – Metro" https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/01/captain-tom-moore-barbados-trip-defended-after-trolls-attack-14001571/amp/

You are all vile trolls. 🙄

Not sure a 25+ degree change in temperature is a good shock for a frail 100 year old respiratory system. 

Agreed. 

Regardless of whether the trip was permissible or not (which it was at the time), any form of travel carries with it a risk of catching the virus or indeed another ailment, which at his age is potentially disasterous. 

I'm comfortable with the risk (if allowed to) , but I'm not 100 years old. I don't know when he caught pneumonia, but I won't be surprised if there's a correlation. 

Edited by Michael W

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I don’t think anyone thinks the NHS should need to benefit from charity or that it sits right with people that he felt he needed to do it.

I don’t know how it turned into so many people having a go at him for it or the people who congratulated him for doing it though.

He was basically a nice old man who raised money for something he believed in. I find it mad that some people couldn’t separate the two and still congratulate him on his efforts without it being some kind of reflection on their views of NHS underfunding.

The long and short of it is that he was pretty quickly turned into a human poppy by the more sinister forces of British nationalism.

Just now, Michael W said:

Agreed. 

Regardless of whether the trip was permissible or not (which it was at the time), any form of travel carries with it a risk of catching the virus. 

I'm comfortable with the risk (if allowed to) , but I'm not 100 years old. I don't know. When he caught pneumonia, but I won't be surprised if there's a correlation. 

To be fair, if someone offered me a trip to Barbados when I am 100, I’d be taking it - whether it was my last act or not.

At his age there was every chance of catching it and dying anyway - may as well go see Barbados beforehand if you can.

1 minute ago, HibsFan said:

The long and short of it is that he was pretty quickly turned into a human poppy by the more sinister forces of British nationalism.

Yeah but what I mean is, that wasn’t his fault. He shouldn’t be getting a hard time for doing something nice, because other people are arseholes and take everything too far. 

I highly doubt its him personally. It's the bandwagon, jingoism and sanctimonious shite that surrounds him, none of which is his fault.

100k people have died from this and he was probably in the top 10 oldest. He deserves acknowledgement but not really much more than anyone else who dies. The whole charity thing reeks of a PR machine spinning at full revs.

It's a shame because hes basically and old man who's nake was turned into a brand, possibly against his will but more than likely despite, not because of, his input/involvement.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

To be fair, if someone offered me a trip to Barbados when I am 100, I’d be taking it - whether it was my last act or not.

At his age there was every chance of catching it and dying anyway - may as well go see Barbados beforehand if you can.

Yeah, fair enough. Can't say I'd complain either!

It's sad, but he's unfortunately become another avoidable death as a result, which is why I imagine the holiday is being criticised. 

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

I don’t know how it turned into so many people having a go at him for it or the people who congratulated him for doing it.

I don't think anyone wishes any ill will to the fella as you're right he seemed a nice old man and his heart was in the right place, however it's more about how others exploited him for their own ends (both personal and political) not to mention all the cringeworthy BS that surrounds this whole episode where our mainstream media and self publicists like to portray an image of the "Great British Bulldog Spirit" which I'm afraid is condescending stuff derived from utter fantasy.

19 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I find it quite sad tbh. Despite all the media frenzy and bravado on here, a 100 yr old man who spent his last yr giving his time to charity has died.
RIP

Absolutely. Most of the jokes are at the expense of those who have exploited Captain Tom, rather than Captain Tom himself .