Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Elric said:

That was what I was discussing with the wife earlier today - without extra time added will schools be able to catch up. Have noticed the difference in my oldest grandchild, she was doing well in class but now seems lost.  Perhaps they should consider this year a complete right off and repeat the year for all. Would prove a heavy impact for P1 with kids coming through from nursery though

I was more inclined to have the repeat a year for those in the 16-18 range

The 2004 year have yet to sit a set of proper exams and won't do so until the last weeks of their time in school. 

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It won't. I wonder what happens to the travel industry when furlough ends on 1st May, who is paying the wages of the travel agent and airline staff sitting at home and all the other linked businesses?

As you say, there's Airport security staff, baggage handlers and ground crew, caterers and retail staff and that's before we even start on the Airline staff, travel agents and call centre staff.

Norwegian are already in a very precarious position and Jet2, Easyjet, Wizz and Ryanair can't sustain these levels of losses much longer either, who knows, even if we come out of this at the other end, it may become the normal that only the richest in society will be able to travel abroad, especially when factoring in the additional costs of  compulsory testing and certification not to mention possible quarantining plus of course the ETIAS visa waiver scheme from 2022.

Whatever happens, it's increasingly looking likely that the days of the long weekend to Krakow or Riga or the 3 nights golf break to the Algarve / Costa Del Sol will unfortunately be a thing of the past.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

As you say, there's Airport security staff, baggage handlers and ground crew, caterers and retail staff and that's before we even start on the Airline staff, travel agents and call centre staff.

Norwegian are already in a very precarious position and Jet2, Easyjet, Wizz and Ryanair can't sustain these levels of losses much longer either, who knows, even if we come out of this at the other end, it may become the normal that only the richest in society will be able to travel abroad, especially when factoring in the additional costs of  compulsory testing and certification not to mention possible quarantining plus of course the ETIAS visa waiver scheme from 2022.

Whatever happens, it's increasingly looking likely that the days of the long weekend to Krakow or Riga or the 3 nights golf break to the Algarve / Costa Del Sol will unfortunately be a thing of the past.

I don't buy into that. I think we'll bounce back stronger than ever before, the demand for foreign breaks will go through the roof as people decide not to take things for granted anymore.  Wizz for example continue to announce new routes, Ryanair are actually in a decent financial position as are easyJet, although as you imply, the summer season will be critical to them.   It may take a wee while for all routes to re-appear, but appear they will.

Edited by Burnieman

8 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Agree, that's why I see it as a return to managed travel corridors with countries where they are vaccinating at an acceptable rate and new infection numbers are low.

If the EU open up internally as a bloc, then that also presents an opportunity.

However, we need detail, not an open ended ban.

This is what I hoped / expected would happen, however after listening to NS today, I'm really no longer so sure.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

I don't buy into that. I think we'll bounce back stronger than ever before, the demand for foreign breaks will go through the roof as people decide not to take things for granted anymore.  Wizz for example continue to announce new routes, Ryanair are actually in a decent financial position as are easyJet, although as you imply, the summer season will be critical to them.   It may take a wee while for all routes to re-appear, but appear they will.

If we were to return to something like "normal", then Yes, I'd totally agree, however the added problems / costs of testing, quarantining, Etias etc all adds up to defeat the business model of the cheap weekend to Eastern Europe.

In a normal year, I'd probably go between 7 - 10 breaks per year but these would be mostly 3 to 5 days and include inter country / cross country travel, however in the "new norm" I just couldn't even contemplate this with the added hassle and costs involved and I'd most likely need to look at 2x14 nts breaks.

Over and above this, the Brexit situation further complicates matters with travelling around Europe.

Being honest, I'm finding it all rather bloody depressing !!