Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Hancock has given about 4 different parts of the year when things will be better and folk still cling on to anything he says...it will be pretty funny tbh when in july he will be telling us that it will be better at xmas and everybody gets all excited again 

While this is true for whatever was said last year, we now have several highly effective vaccines going into millions of arms, so I think they should be held to account on things being better from this summer onwards. I doubt many people truly expected things to be different before the end of this winter. That is changing with the vaccine deployment.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

While this is true for whatever was said last year, we now have several highly effective vaccines going into millions of arms, so I think they should be held to account on things being better from this summer onwards. I doubt many people truly expected things to be different before the end of this winter. That is changing with the vaccine deployment.

He has already said easter this year and now its changed to summer.Trust me im as desperate as anybody to get away but getting excited about hancock predictions isnt the way forward 

Are we looking at death and hospitalisation numbers dropping off a decent amount in the next fortnight? Case numbers looking much better than they did a month ago.

Sounds like we will be shut in the house for February but getting some things open in March.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Are we looking at death and hospitalisation numbers dropping off a decent amount in the next fortnight? Case numbers looking much better than they did a month ago.

Sounds like we will be shut in the house for February but getting some things open in March.

Sounds exactly right. 

1 minute ago, doulikefish said:

He has already said easter this year and now its changed to summer.Trust me im as desperate as anybody to get away but getting excited about hancock predictions isnt the way forward 

Exactly. Hanging on the words of whatever the government says is totally mental when everything they say changes on a daily basis. 

So, careful and gradual easing of restrictions possibly at the start of March.

Any predictions?

I reckon the level system will get binned, so start of March will probably be schools and maybe non-essential retail.  I can't see it being a return to level 3, despite places like Edinburgh being in a constant decline of cases and already at level 2 numbers.  I'd love to be wrong, of course, but it just doesn't fit with this overly cautious tone from NS and the SG.

Glad there has been acknowledgement about the poor speed of vaccinations, and if they turn it around from here then I'll temper my criticisms of it.  Hopefully they have an impact to accelerate the decline of folk getting sick.  

Cases numbers definitely in the right direction. Hospitals and ICU numbers starting to shift and thankfully not where they were at the peak, but they are nevertheless high at the moment. Going down a lot more slowly, particularly ICU numbers. Maybe in a couple of weeks we'll start seeing some really positive progress there.  

I think that announcement is amongst the least surprising that we have seen. Struggling to think what might be reopened, however. Schools undoubtedly and perhaps some non-esential retail? You'd imagine restaurants and bars are gubbed for a while yet unfortunately. 

Edited by Michael W

Well, if Sturgeon doesn't set out plans for scrapping the pointless quarantine before the election, that's two SNP votes gone for good.
No one will be admitting uk nationals without quarantine by May, absolutely no chance so uk will be no different to anywhere else. That's a totally unrealistic timescale for unrestricted overseas travel

New frustration - the line one "we don't know if the vaccine stops transmission". First of all, if we're all vaccinated and it stops serious illness to the degree that we think it will, why does this matter? Secondly, it looks like the data coming from Israel suggests it does indeed help stop transmission, is this being monitored or are we just sitting about here waiting for our own data?

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 minutes ago, Elixir said:
Well, if Sturgeon doesn't set out plans for scrapping the pointless quarantine before the election, that's two SNP votes gone for good.

No one will be admitting uk nationals without quarantine by May, absolutely no chance so uk will be no different to anywhere else. That's a totally unrealistic timescale for unrestricted overseas travel

He's not asking for that. He's only asking for a plan.

So, careful and gradual easing of restrictions possibly at the start of March.
Any predictions?
I reckon the level system will get binned, so start of March will probably be schools and maybe non-essential retail.  I can't see it being a return to level 3, despite places like Edinburgh being in a constant decline of cases and already at level 2 numbers.  I'd love to be wrong, of course, but it just doesn't fit with this overly cautious tone from NS and the SG.
Glad there has been acknowledgement about the poor speed of vaccinations, and if they turn it around from here then I'll temper my criticisms of it.  Hopefully they have an impact to accelerate the decline of folk getting sick.  

I can see everywhere going down the tiers together rather than it being regionalised as it was before. Harsh on some areas but probably the easiest way to do things.

That's clearly what needs to happen - the good news is that they peaked on 18 January.

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

New frustration - the line one "we don't know if the vaccine stops transmission". First of all, if we're all vaccinated and it stops serious illness to the degree that we think it will, why does this matter? Secondly, it looks like the data coming from Israel suggests it does indeed help stop transmission, is this being monitored or are we just sitting about here waiting for our own data?

Probably has an impact on travel restrictions for a start i.e. being vaccinated won't necessarily give you the right to go about other countries.

Also closer to home they don't want people who are vaccinated now assuming they can't transmit the disease and breaking rules.

Like i mentioned earlier, NS "looking at" the vaccine numbers isn't going to magically speed anything up anytime soon.

Vaccine appointments up until at least the end of next week are already scheduled.

They have a stated target of 400k per week (a perfectly acceptable number), but the reality is they aren't planning on getting to that point until the end of February.

We've all seen the report, we all know there is a planned steady increase over the next 4 weeks. The question really is whether or not 8 weeks was an acceptable timeframe to achieve this target, whether or not it could have been achieved sooner, and if it could have been, why it wasn't.

Edited by Todd_is_God