Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Elixir said:

Nobody hates the fucking Tories more than me, but I'm sick of politics becoming intertwined with vaccinations., so I'm going to try not to do it.

If they're able to do this, or get there or there abouts, that will be fantastic. Let's hope that they can.

If Scotland is a week or two behind, I also don't give a shit. The sooner the whole of the UK reaches a high vaccination percentage, the sooner we can all begin to have our lives back. 

Go for it. 

Nobody hates the fucking Tories more than me, but I'm sick of politics becoming intertwined with vaccinations., so I'm going to try not to do it.
If they're able to do this, or get there or there abouts, that will be fantastic. Let's hope that they can.
If Scotland is a week or two behind, I also don't give a shit. The sooner the whole of the UK reaches a high vaccination percentage, the sooner we can all begin to have our lives back. 
Go for it. 
I hope they get it because as you say, we'll be there.

But 12 weeks to turn the corner, normal by November, normal by Christmas etc etc means I fail to believe anything these government sources say.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

They've absolutely done NS like a kipper here tbf. Gave her the opportunity to almost gleefully boast about how much better the SG had done because we'd actually administered, not simply offered, the jags, only to immediately clamp her.

Ruth Davidson will have an absolute field day with her tomorrow on this, so she'd better hope today's numbers are around 40k plus.

It's a move NS herself would be proud of tbh.

I struggle to believe Johnson is even able to play actual draughts, let alone the 8 or 9D version of chess  you're crediting to him here. 

Fantastic news if that many people have been vaccinated in that period of time, a real incredible effort considering they were lagging heavily behind our seemingly insurmountable  figures for so long, and we should see the grim numbers of deaths start to drop v quickly down south in care homes, probably trailing us by a bit which is brilliant for everyone 👍 

But I will not be the slightest but surprised if it transpires that there's some more to come out about this - some twisting of the figures, or the definitions, or care homes going Wtf? 

Absolutely no reason if what they meant was "we've jagged everyone we could," that they had to specifically use the word offered, and when asked about it, didn't say yeah mate we've jagged absolutely everyone we could. Zero need for smoke and mirrors imo and obfuscation, unless the aim was to get one up on the Scots because of talk of Indyref, in which case, sigh. 

And now a Whitehall source suggests every could be offered a jag by some surprisingly near by date. Again, amazing stuff, would genuinely love to see it, but why are we using the word offered again - is this the new terminology that means literally vaccinated everyone we possibly could, because iirc that's not what offered means.

They've shown time and again they're willing to use weasel words to turn this whole thing into a PR exercise, and I see no reason at all why that gameplan would suddenly have changed. 

I don't much trust the snp, but I trust them even less. They have used exactly the same  methods from day 1 too many examples to mention, but eg counting tests twice, counting tests sent in the post as tests completed etc etc of massaging the figures to make them look better than they are. 

Edited by madwullie

Go for it. 
I agree that comparisons with England (or anywhere else for that matter) are irrelevant - beit for vaccines, testing, R numbers, infection rates or deaths. What matters is what happens here - nothing more.

However, I don't think it's helped though that we have a UK government who are more interested in headline grabbing and who have a history of being economical with the actualite. The truth becomes somewhat blurred.

41 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I agree that comparisons with England (or anywhere else for that matter) are irrelevant - beit for vaccines, testing, R numbers, infection rates or deaths. What matters is what happens here - nothing more.

How do you determine whether policies to deal with a global pandemic have been a success if not by comparing with other governments in other countries? What is your benchmark for all of the above numbers?

The plain reality of the matter is that people aren't interested in comparisons right now because the SG is failing abysmally in nearly all of them. 

Edited by vikingTON

4 hours ago, DMCs said:

Vaccines bringing down cases and hospitalizations in Israel:

It's shit like that that should shame Sturgeon with her 9000 in a day, the quicker they all get done the better, she's not got the slightest eye on this due to her focusing solely on a made up target. 

Boris and Co are going to dig themselves out of the shit they helped create whilst Sturgeon' arrogance is going to undo any gains she made. 

Quicker she's punted the better. 

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It's shit like that that should shame Sturgeon with her 9000 in a day, the quicker they all get done the better, she's not got the slightest eye on this due to her focusing solely on a made up target. 

Boris and Co are going to dig themselves out of the shit they helped create whilst Sturgeon' arrogance is going to undo any gains she made. 

Quicker she's punted the better. 

I wouldn’t agree that Boris and co will dig themselves out of the shit.  This will be over before they can be held accountable even if the vaccination programme turns to ratshit and it takes until next year to vaccinate everyone they’re responsible for (I hope that doesn’t happen and they do get everyone vaccinated by May as reported today).  They will have a long time to spin it before the next general election though and the ineffective opposition will make a mess of calling them out.  Net result is the same unfortunately, they’ll get away with it.

as has been stated on here many times the SNP has such a loyal following it would be practically impossible for her to turn the electorate against her before she achieves her next goal.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

People on here are genuinely angry that vulnerable people in England are protected against a potentially deadly virus, but "it's not a race".

Well they don’t actually care about vulnerable people or they would want zero covid.

They just want their local pub to get pished and then be able to go to Benidorm to get pished.

How do you determine whether policies to deal with a global pandemic have been a success if not by comparing with other governments in other countries? What is your benchmark for all of the above numbers?
The plain reality of the matter is that people aren't interested in comparisons right now because the SG is failing abysmally in nearly all of them. 
Found your head?

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Hopefully there's some serious pressure now and this does start to ramp up with these mass vaccination centres as promised. Otherwise it's an enormous failure on the Scottish government's part.

It's ok, though. It's on NS's mind...

Here's the thing, though. Vaccine letters are sent out a couple of weeks beforehand, therefore it should be readily available for the SG to view daily forecasts on how many vaccines are scheduled for each day. These are appointment only clinics - you can't just drop in.

It should not take for it to come to Monday morning for NS to become aware of the ridiculously low Sunday number.

It's too late now to rectify that in time for next Sunday, so if there are a stupidly low number scheduled again next Sunday, then I imagine the same question will be asked again.

I assume also that there are an average of around 40k per day scheduled over the next two weeks for NS to say they are on track. If there are not then it's a blatent lie.

5 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

11 people so far tested positive with the South African strain of the virus.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-covid-19-news-south-africa-variant-found-in-eight-areas-in-england/

As someone mentioned earlier they really seem to be shitting themselves over this one. Will be really surprised if they can contain the outbreak

If what I heard on 5 live today is correct they only analyse around 5% of cases thus if 11 of the positive tests are of this variant then it probably means another 209 people possibly have it and could be spreading it, hence the mass testing of the local areas. 

7 hours ago, madwullie said:

And now a Whitehall source suggests every could be offered a jag by some surprisingly near by date. Again, amazing stuff, would genuinely love to see it, but why are we using the word offered again - is this the new terminology that means literally vaccinated everyone we possibly could, because iirc that's not what offered means.

The offered patter is surely to account for the people who have been reached by the vaccine program but refused the offer of vaccination?