Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Highlands  75.5 to 77.2   Invergordon falling but Inverness East rising quicker.

Inverness East Rural so it's only 28 cases in a low population. Highland's been stuck between 70 and 80 for about a week now, we were about 20 for most of the entire pandemic until this new variant kicked off.

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

According to the article above, modelling suggests we need ~85%(?) coverage with the vaccine to ensure R is kept low enough. 

Dont know how it works like that if the most vulnerable are jagged tho

There are some people who won’t be able to get the jag, I think the 85% possibly is the figure where enough people will have been done to protect those who cannot have it (I.e near herd immunity level). I don’t know for sure, but that would be my guess.

9 minutes ago, madwullie said:

According to the article above, modelling suggests we need ~85%(?) coverage with the vaccine to ensure R is kept low enough. 

Dont know how it works like that if the most vulnerable are jagged tho

Even with the massive reduction in serious illness and illness achieved with vaccination? Something’s not right. 

Is there any specific reason why East Renfrewshire’s number has gone back up to 180+? I’m sure it was at 150 odd only a week ago. 
Load of new cases in Neilston. Doubled there from circa 20 to 40. That easily drags overall upwards as percentage of total cases is near 25%
Then Arthurlie next door has a smaller but similar effect. Go east and south and in good shape.

31 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Source for the 99.8% figure? Good news if so. If so we really need a big jump next week at least 30k+ daily.

Sturgeon said at the start of the week that care homes were effectively done as they were unlikely to reach 100% due to different factors. 

Monday must see numbers rise to high 30 thousand or the government should be under serious pressure. 

Todays Headlines:    The BBC reporting is literally on fire today. Rumours Prof Leitch caught smoking in the attic.

INFECTIONS IN SCOTLAND HAVE more than HALVED.  Down 53.10%. Only 2 councils now over 200 cases per 100K   Importantly North Lanarkshire is now dropping faster than the Scottish average rate, and South Lanarkshire blasts below the 200 marker. No areas in Scotland over 1000 per 100k.  Another major city Aberdeen a handful of cases from going sub 100 per 100K.

Now accessed the other home nations for the cases per 100K latest and will document their daily progress.   These are a little behind the Scottish cases.  England  354.2 to 330.0  down 6.83%,   Wales  191.0 to 173.4 down 9.21% , Northern Ireland   262.2  to 247.6  down 5.48%,  all 3 dropping.  Wales in particular is dropping quickly and has indicated some possible relaxation from 22nd February. The Virus is now clearly under control nationwide. The English still starting their drops from massively higher levels.

For interest of the bigger European countries Portugal 878 having a torrid time and this may go over 1,000,  Spain 527 dropping , Czech 442 are the big hitters.  

Scotland peaked at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan    
From 21st to 27th January we were down to 144.0
Todays figure for 22nd Jan to 28th Jan is  141.6     Another smaller single Day drop of 1.66%. Likely to be some slowing down now and possibly the odd day of increase. Hopefully not timed around Tuesdays Scotgov statement. Infections have dropped every day (now TWENTY FOUR days in a row) since the aforementioned peak.  Total drop is now 53.10%
Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview
North Lanarkshire  249.0  to 234.6 Down a very good 5.78%
Glasgow City  222.1 to 221.4
North Ayrshire 194.4 to 193.7
South Lanarkshire  204.7 to 191.9 Down a great 6.25% and through the 200 barrier.
East Ayrshire 184.4 to 183.6
East Renfrewshire   171.7t o 181.1
Renfrewshire 177.6 to 180.9 
Clackmannanshire  182.4 to 176.6
West Dunbartonshire  178.8 to 177.7 
East Dunbartonshire  164.8 to 168.4  
Falkirk  166.0 to 162.2
Dumfries & Galloway  151.0 to 143.1  Langholm & Eskdale below 1000 at last 
Inverclyde   137.5 to 140.1 
South Ayrshire  135.9 to 139.4
West Lothian  125.6 to 136.5
Stirling 135.9 to 133.7
Angus   145.4 to 134.3  Great 20% drop in 2 days.
Midlothian  119.0 to 119.0
Perth & Kinross  100.7 to 117.8  The bad boys of the day with a rise of 21 cases alone at the Western Edge. This is the posh end of Fermer Toon. Perhaps someone in Perth can report what is going on ?
Moray    116.9 to 111.7
Dundee City  109.2 to 109.8  
Aberdeen City   117.6 to 100.1  Huge drop of 17.5%  Danestone drops from 1287 to 454 cases per 100K in 1 day.  100 barrier imminent ?
Scottish  Borders   97.8 to 87.4  Another great 10% drop
Fife  85.4 to 83.3
 City Of Edinburgh  83.6 to 79.8   Still dropping quickly almost unbelievable. Huge areas reported virtually covid free
Aberdeenshire   80.4 to 78.9  
Highlands  75.5 to 77.2   Invergordon falling but Inverness East rising quicker.
East Lothian   74.7 to 72.8 
Argyll & Bute   69.9 to 68.7
Western Isles    44.9 to 67.4   Clearly with the 18 cases active the whole of Scotland should stay in Lockdown mmmm
Orkney Island   35.9 to 26.9  Take that Jean
Shetland Islands  17.5 to 8.7  And that you profiteer of doom.

I’m going to take a stab in the dark and presume that Ochil nursing home may have an outbreak.

34 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Has it not been sitting at 90% for a while?  Seem to recall that figure at least a week ago, possibly longer.

I’m not sure, this is the first week I’ve looked at the figures. They are now doing the over 80s and letters are out to the over 70’s (my dad got his thankfully) so perhaps 90% is as close as they can get (there may be medical reasons for some people not being able to get it, this not getting to 100%).

33 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Good news on infections falling. Deaths going down too. Lockdown is absolutely working. 

They are going down in Sweden too, though, which isn't in lockdown.

I appreciate it is impossible to prove or disprove this statement, but...

Correlation =/= causation

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

I wonder if we’re now allowed to question why our vaccine numbers are so shite without getting the “but care homes!!! Don’t you read????!!!” response.

Probably this time next week once the mass vaccination centre's in Edinburgh and Aberdeen open tomorrow.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/edinburgh-and-aberdeen-mass-vaccination-centres-to-open

Just having a glance at this. The "mass vaccination centres" in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen have a combined max-capacity of 97,000 a week so approximately 14,000 a day. Given Glasgow has already been open (operating at around 1000-5000 a day according to the above), I am not convinced that from tomorrow we'll see an enormous ramp up that we all want.

2 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

My granpa is 82 and my gran is 79. The GP was at their house the other day to give them both the flu jag while my granpa also got the Covid vaccine. My gran, meanwhile, has to wait until next week for her Covid jag.

I know they technically come under different groups but in instances like that it would surely just have been quicker and easier to give the vaccine to both of them at the same time?

You'd think that. @welshbairn was in a similar situation.

Freeman is too busy thinking up how to keep the foreigners from bringing in hypothetical new variants than getting the vaccine into old duffers, which she has already had months to plan for.

24 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/edinburgh-and-aberdeen-mass-vaccination-centres-to-open

Just having a glance at this. The "mass vaccination centres" in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen have a combined max-capacity of 97,000 a week so approximately 14,000 a day. Given Glasgow has already been open (operating at around 1000-5000 a day according to the above), I am not convinced that from tomorrow we'll see an enormous ramp up that we all want.

Bare in mind all the local ones too. Not just the giant ones. The list for the Glasgow area alone had something like 20 in various sports halls etc. I appreciate that they won't all be running full tilt every day but should be able to produce a fairly substantial jump. 

Can't remember what the removed timetable showed but was it not around 50k a day from 1st Feb?

600,000 vaccinations yesterday alone, in the UK. More than Scotland has mustered in total.
Further exposing the utter shambles and incompetence on offer up here. Not sure about the too wee, too poor bit, but they’re certainly too stupid. 
I think some people are just taking pot shots for their own political ends. It's been explained why the roll out has been relatively slow so far, and it's a reasonable explanation.

If however the rate shows no tangible improvement in the next week to 10 days then batter in.

Edinburgh and Aberdeen mass centres open tomorrow, Bathgate mass centre opens in 2 weeks time. I think there are also drive through centres opening soon.