Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Did the UK government demand that this happened? Maybe it did, but I don't recall it. I also accept that August should be enough time to sort of the issues, but then we were still having those issues seemingly and had agreed three months prior. 

Also a fair point to make in that the EU still hasn't actually approved the vaccine. I assume that it is about to, or else this would be much less of a pressing issue. 

Do agree it isn't a UK/EU thing - it's purely an EU thing in this regard and it is monumentally unhelpful. There are no winners here whatever the eventual outcome. 

Rumoured to be Friday

3 hours ago, virginton said:

I don't see why it wouldn't. Case rates are dropping steadily (plummeting UK-wide) and as more vulnerable groups are vaccinated then the proportion of new cases being shunted into an ICU a few weeks down the line will drop as well. Hospitals would still be extremely busy but so long as they aren't breaching capacity then that's not going to stop it.

The smart play is to recognise that the infection factories should not reopen this side of Easter and use those five weeks to suppress community transmission much more significantly. This would also allow us to open up the general economy on a local authority basis much more quickly. But the government will put 'the weans!!!111!!!'* first, R will increase to near 1 as a result and we'll get months of braying lectures from the SG about 'stubbornly high case rates' as if they're not responsible for that problem.

Reveal hidden contents

electoral influence of the snippy parent brigade

While I agree with all you say above I genuinely think there will be a 2 to 3 week slippage on that date, take it close to Easter and then the schools will go back

I will be delighted If im proved wrong.

As I drove to our game tonight I heard a bit of the press conference and they seemed to be at least setting out what they would look at between now and when the schools do go back.

Travelling is quite literally one of the most fulfilling experiences you can partake in. It is in the very essence of human beings to want to explore. It is ultimately the reason why we have put men on the moon. Experiencing new cultures enriches you and helps to prevent ignorant fervour.

I cannot wait until I'm next sitting in the airport having a pre-flight drink, where a place I haven't seen before awaits.

It'll be interesting to see whether this road map that they're producing mid-late Feb is indeed a road map to actual normality or if it's a road map to a tier system. I fear it is going to end up being the latter, which is extremely concerning. 

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Travelling is quite literally one of the most fulfilling experiences you can partake in. It is in the very essence of human beings to want to explore. It is ultimately the reason why we have put men on the moon. Experiencing new cultures enriches you and helps to prevent ignorant fervour.

I cannot wait until I'm next sitting in the airport having a pre-flight drink, where a place I haven't seen before awaits.

I like going places too but that is birthday caird pish

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't disagree with this, but I don't think NS is on the same page.

Hospitality may very well be open in mid-summer rather than closed, but more than likely at such a sanitised level (early closing, pre-booking required, table service, group size limits, no live music / singing, etc) that it may as well be closed.

Yeah, the folk thinking that if we destroy international travel, tourism, and aviation, it will mean 'back to normal' domestically, are living in a dream world. Even despite the vaccine uptake, I think this summer is still going to have the same sanitised experience when going to bars and restaurants, attractions, etc. Absolutely soul destroying.

10 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Did the UK government demand that this happened? Maybe it did, but I don't recall it. I also accept that August should be enough time to sort of the issues, but then we were still having those issues seemingly and had agreed three months prior. 

Also a fair point to make in that the EU still hasn't actually approved the vaccine. I assume that it is about to, or else this would be much less of a pressing issue. 

Do agree it isn't a UK/EU thing - it's purely an EU thing in this regard and it is monumentally unhelpful. There are no winners here whatever the eventual outcome. 

To be fair, my initial post was really only a complaint that Laura K is calling this “our” vaccine. It might be made by a UK company but isn’t ours. Especially not when we sell it to others.

1 hour ago, true_rover said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:
That's exactly what I meant when I said a program of perpetual vaccination.

And why is that a problem? People get a flu jab every year.

Not the entire population, though.

4 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

It'll be interesting to see whether this road map that they're producing mid-late Feb is indeed a road map to actual normality or if it's a road map to a tier system. I fear it is going to end up being the latter, which is extremely concerning. 

The tier system would be better tbh, because it’s likely they can bring that in much sooner than a full reopening of things. That Boris is talking about schools reopening is possibly the start of gradual loosening of restrictions.

6 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Yeah, the folk thinking that if we destroy international travel, tourism, and aviation, it will mean 'back to normal' domestically, are living in a dream world. Even despite the vaccine uptake, I think this summer is still going to have the same sanitised experience when going to bars and restaurants, attractions, etc. Absolutely soul destroying.

Its not really living. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The entire population doesn't actually need vaccinated from the current variant of Covid. 

Stop making good points about the actual facts here. As soon as the most vulnerable are jagged there is no excuse. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

To be fair, my initial post was really only a complaint that Laura K is calling this “our” vaccine. It might be made by a UK company but isn’t ours. Especially not when we sell it to others.

She’s playing to the gallery.  

Out of interest what would you call a product made in Britain by a British company that has a contractual obligation to deliver to the British government?

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Correct. It is not and never has been an either/or choice between normality and freedom of movement and if the same zero Covid psychos have the government's ear then they'll be keeping shan social distancing here 'just in case' for the rest of the year. 

Just now, Left Back said:

She’s playing to the gallery.  

Out of interest what would you call a product made in Britain by a British company that has a contractual obligation to deliver to the British government?

It's made in Britain by a global multinational corporation, not by the British state. There's therefore absolutely zero claim to ownership on behalf of the plucky British people. 

Personally i'm finding it very hard to stomach the flip from

"don't be selfish, covid probably won't hurt you, but you might give it to and kill a vulnerable person"

to

"once we've protected the vulnerable, we aren't sure if they can give it to you" 

And I think i'm perfectly entitled to be angry about that.