Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Reports in Germany that they will only approve AZ vaccine for under 65s as the data apparently shows only 8(eight)% efficacy in the older age groups.

Surely that can't be right, it would surely have came out over here before now if that were the case?

Source for this?

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We need some sort of deterrent. maybe a public flogging or caning is the answer or even a community payback order, but something needs done or people just ignore the rules as many are now doing.

Most people are following the rules, the numbers are drastically reducing. 

In your other scenario, people holding numerous parties etc - they will be reported to court and options such as CPO would possibly then be open. 

There isn’t really an issue here. 

10 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Reports in Germany that they will only approve AZ vaccine for under 65s as the data apparently shows only 8(eight)% efficacy in the older age groups.

Surely that can't be right, it would surely have came out over here before now if that were the case?

Seen that German link but a lot of replies calling it fake news.

https://www.handelsblatt.com/politik/deutschland/pandemie-bekaempfung-rueckschlag-bei-corona-impfstoff-astra-zeneca-vakzin-wirkt-bei-senioren-wohl-kaum/26849788.html?ticket=ST-10553918-HWDcJNH6keDmV6Bmhzuo-ap3

Edited by dirty dingus

26 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Just to address the similar point in these posts (and because i hate to see marshmallo baffled any more than he normal is) ...

I try hard not to judge folk, and certainly don't think I'm better than the average punter.

But if you're going to pretend that there's not an element of scummery in our society then i honestly don't know how to respond.

f**k knows where you're living. I live in Dundee, a city with huge problems of deprivation. I don't live in one of the wealthy pockets of the city, and therefore encounter these folk from time to time (usually at the chemist or the shops - but also through work).

The problems facing these families are numerous and complex, and can only be solved by a massive increase in government funding (something that i support but that all main parties run away from) - but as far as i can see their actions during this pandemic are part of the problem with community transmission.

Dig up, stupid!

We'll know for sure if this is true if/when the EMA approves AstraZeneca at the end of the month.

Worth noting though that the EU and Germany are getting intense criticism for the slow pace of the vaccine rollout, and they're seriously fucked off at AstraZeneca at the moment because AstraZeneca are saying their supply to the EU through March is going to drop at least 60%. Talk of court cases and everything.

There's a chance that some of this may be politics.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

And there we go. Good news about the results in Israel immediately followed up with shite news about the AZ vaccine.

If this newspaper report is right, it means most of the scientific community is wrong, which... feels unlikely, IMO!

Lets wait and see what comes out of it. Certainly no reason to take this as gospel at the moment. Especially given the context of the German government's relationship with AZ.

The trial data is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulatory-approval-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca/information-for-healthcare-professionals-on-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca#clinical-particulars

There is nothing in there that suggests that vaccine has an efficacy of only 8% in over 65s. If someone has this information then they should damn well publish it, or else we (and other countries too) are wasting our time giving it to over 65s. Basically going off anonymous briefings here. 

There were 2 cases of Covid in the over 65s that received the vaccine. Unfortunately there were also only 665 participants that received it, which seems to be a pretty significant demographic flaw. Indeed the attached link says there is insufficient data to assess efficacy. 

54 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The trial data is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulatory-approval-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca/information-for-healthcare-professionals-on-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca#clinical-particulars

There is nothing in there that suggests that vaccine has an efficacy of only 8% in over 65s. If someone has this information then they should damn well publish it, or else we (and other countries too) are wasting our time giving it to over 65s. Basically going off anonymous briefings here. 

There were 2 cases of Covid in the over 65s that received the vaccine. Unfortunately there were also only 665 participants that received it, which seems to be a pretty significant demographic flaw. Indeed the attached link says there is insufficient data to assess efficacy. 

Would make a load more sense if it turned out that they wanted more data for over 65’s before approving.

Remember this time last week there was similar nonsense about Pfizer only being 33% effective, which was later clarified and a week later those stats are brilliant.