Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Those who are "less well off", i.e. living from pay to pay*, have had to make the choice between complying with precautions or feeding their kids. Not Hyperbole - the UKG is trumpeting their compassion at throwing the poor luxurious hampers to make up for free school meals not happening.

Don’t disagree at all but this acronym made me laugh. Just imagining Craig David and the Artful Dodger live-streaming charity giveaways.

28 minutes ago, 101 said:

Not only did the super rich and the well off f**k off they took their staff with them I've even seen in my local area mother's who are perfectly capable of cleaning their house have their cleaners out to tidy their house.

As for Asda it's the worst supermarket and no one should be going in there they treat their staff like shit. As for the "I don't give a shit brigade" you can't know their income or their social standing just by where they shop and what they look like.

Wealth is no guarantee of style.

image.thumb.png.008cf6ecc6cd37ae150eda838ad1f262.png

Obviously cant provide stats but experience has shown that the vast majority of rule breakers in Southside of Glasgow arent poor folks but mainly middle class students or recent graduates who think flat parties etc are allowed (but only for them) and speak with the horrific Glasgow Uni accents. 
Actually tend to find compliance amongst the less well off is actually quite good because many have vulnerable families etc and there would be no one left to care for them if they had to isolate, also goes for people in low income jobs who are terrified / cant afford to miss their work. Its quite a lazy stereotype to suggest that some kind of ‘underclass’ is to blame for rising numbers when in reality its not these people you read about breaking rules in the paper, remember Chuckles and Camel came north when ill with covid and some Lord on Rothesay was recently charged with breaking travel rules. But what the elites want you to think is its all the poor’s fault. 

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

Just because you grew up in a bad environment does not mean that you lose all agency over your own actions. Structural reasons are much, much more significant that any behavioural explanation anyway, but there's an underlying condescension to that argument which we should steer clear of as well. 

You certainly don't lose agency but the value you attach to doing the "right thing" or making "positive choices" is diminished.

That or the poor are a feckless subclass. Either/or.

18 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

'Aye but they might be still transmittin it tae others tho, the vaccine wisnae designed to stop that!111!!!!'

*Checks for the rampant smallpox and polio epidemics caused by their vaccines not being 'designed' to stop transmission either*

Obviously cant provide stats but experience has shown that the vast majority of rule breakers in Southside of Glasgow arent poor folks but mainly middle class students or recent graduates who think flat parties etc are allowed (but only for them) and speak with the horrific Glasgow Uni accents. 
Actually tend to find compliance amongst the less well off is actually quite good because many have vulnerable families etc and there would be no one left to care for them if they had to isolate, also goes for people in low income jobs who are terrified / cant afford to miss their work. Its quite a lazy stereotype to suggest that some kind of ‘underclass’ is to blame for rising numbers when in reality its not these people you read about breaking rules in the paper, remember Chuckles and Camel came north when ill with covid and some Lord on Rothesay was recently charged with breaking travel rules. But what the elites want you to think is its all the poor’s fault. 

My ma works in student accommodation and is damn near becoming The Joker with some of the shite they’ve encountered over the last year.

While it is bad how little a shit loads of them give about following restrictions in the halls it is also ridiculous that the unis opened the accommodation this year. Did anyone seriously expect people to turn up and pay 5 grand or whatever for the privilege of living in shitty flats and expect them not to go tonto when they were initially locked down, prevented from even going on campus and all the pubs and clubs have been shut? The unis and student accommodation knew fine well that they were fleecing a fortune for nothing near value and then acted shocked when folk decided to get regularly tanked up in their own gaffs.

24 minutes ago, virginton said:

Just because you grew up in a bad environment does not mean that you lose all agency over your own actions. Structural reasons are much, much more significant that any behavioural explanation anyway, but there's an underlying condescension to that argument which we should steer clear of as well. 

Perhaps. I was fortunate to be brought up in a situation where we were not wealthy but had a roof over my head and parents who disciplined, encouraged and provided a structured environment for me. I can’t even begin to envisage how I would be if I had grown up in an environment where I didn’t know where my parents were, what time my tea would be or if I would even get it, what time I was supposed to go to bed or have no help or encouragement with schoolwork. And that’s the point, I can’t ever put myself in that frame of mind because I never experienced it. I can make assumptions but they will be from the viewpoint of never having been that unlucky. 

Of course you could sort yourself out from a young age but the odds of being able to do that are so much slimmer.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Most of the points above are completely valid, but the one above has been widely accepted of late when it seems to be conflating two distinct issues. SSP is of course far too low in general (and needs to be raised for all sickness, not just some temporary special uplift for Covid cases) but how what proportion of those you cite above are really unable to self-isolate for two weeks because of the absolute destitution it would result in?

The piss-poor self-isolating figures for travellers swanning back into the country from abroad, as well as test and trace or the mass testing exercise suggest that there is also a large, and probably much larger section of the population - of all income/class categories - who regard the relative cost of complying with public health measures as being not for them Clive. This should not be considered a valid explanation at all and dealt with instead by a trusty truncheon to the face. 

Yeah I agree to an extent. 

Purely anecdotal obvs but I heard someone on the radio who worked for iirc morrisons, who had symptoms, went for a test, came back negative but had nonetheless been told to self isate for a number of days. Told their work etc, and ultimately they were off for 5 working days. Payday came, and they were a week down on their wage. Pretty grim if you've got rent, bills, car, council tax etc to cover, especially (like most people but particularly those in low paid jobs) you're surviving from one paypacket to the next, and you do what you're supposed to do and more or less get punished for it. 

We absolutely need to be "paying" those who need to self-isolate / quarantine but at the same time be mercilessly checking up on them to make sure they are actually doing it. 

Another survey I saw on twitter yesterday (which may have been published a week or so ago) showed that people (claimed to) follow most restrictions pretty strictly, *apart from* isolating for the correct length of time after testing positive / being exposed. Pretty pointless relentlessly masking up, dinghying all social contact, staying within 5 miles of home etc, if even on being exposed to the virus you can only be fucked sitting in the house for 3 or 4 days before you decide to pop out to the shops / go a wander for some fresh air etc. 

Again, only solution I can see is to *properly* check up on those who are meant to be isolating, short of making it compulsory to have a tracking app installed on their phone etc 

Edited by madwullie

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

Most of the points above are completely valid, but the one above has been widely accepted of late when it seems to be conflating two distinct issues. SSP is of course far too low in general (and needs to be raised for all sickness, not just some temporary special uplift for Covid cases) but how what proportion of those you cite above are really unable to self-isolate for two weeks because of the absolute destitution it would result in?

The piss-poor self-isolating figures for travellers swanning back into the country from abroad, as well as test and trace or the mass testing exercise suggest that there is also a large, and probably much larger section of the population - of all income/class categories - who regard the relative cost of complying with public health measures as being not for them Clive. This should not be considered a valid explanation at all and dealt with instead by a trusty truncheon to the face. 

What, like

A. many people employed full-time living a precipitous existence and having to choose between isolating and eating, and

B. Well-off travellers deciding to ignore rules they find inconvenient?

You, of course,  want to know what proportion are unable to self-isolate. Because these are the less well-off, the "not our kind, darling", the "underclass". You raise their SSP, they'll just spend it on crack and whores. Scum, in't they?

Have a look at the number of food banks. Have a look at the necessity to feed kids when schools are closed. This might give you some idea of the scale of the problem.

Or, you could sit in your mum's basement, telling all and sundry how those having to deal with this are failing, while offering *checks notes* absolutely fúck all in the way of positive suggestions. Well Done, Sonny - you win the Internet.

56 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

This. There are so many factors that go into which areas see higher or lower transmission rates. Human behaviour is a massive one but unpicking that from all the others would be an incredibly difficult task. It's possible, or even probable that poorer sections of society are statistically a bit more likely to ignore the rules overall but like everything, there's very good reason for that. You'll find lower levels of education, lower levels of engagement with sources of news and society in general, fewer options to keep entertained at home, and probably a far lower feeling of having a 'stake' in society in general. These aren't symptoms of the type of people they are, they're symptoms of the disgusting levels of inequality in our society.

This. So much this.

There's no doubt many of the super rich have been massive dicks during this, and deciding to f**k off to wherever they can to avoid it.

And yes, there's an element of 'making your own rules' that applies to lots of people.

But denying that there's problem with a load of arseholes who are the drugs of society is just weird. It's like doing argumentative gymnastics to hide the issue.

My local asda is a good indicator, as it's in a shitty area, and the 'i don't give a f**k brigade' can be seen fairly regularly.

Interesting that of the supermarkets that said they would enforce mask wearing, asda was the biggest one that refused.
One of the worst posts I've seen in a while.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

These fucking morons saying the vaccines don't stop transmission need fired into the sun.  How can you transmit a virus you don't fucking have?

The way I understand it, being immune doesn't mean you can't ever technically become infected. It basically means if you do get infected, your immune system will likely nuke the fucker before you ever notice it or pass it on.

But aye, I don't think the Helen Lovejoying is particularly useful. They should say it makes transmission vastly less likely.

I liked that explanation of the covid vaccine using the term 'asshole protein' the best.

So then, a COVID virus enters your body.

Your body has never seen the virus before. BUT it’s seen that protein that’s on the outside of the virus. Your memory cells say “you’ve got to be kidding me, THIS asshole again? Get the f**k out of here!”

Your body’s own ‘natural immune system’ quickly and efficiently launches an all-out war, using the template it has from when it destroyed the asshole protein last time. It destroys the virus before it can take hold, replicate, and make you sick.

Congratulations! Now, you’re immune to COVID! You’ve got the blueprints to defeat it as soon as it enters your body.

Edited by GiGi

5 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Only 11k yesterday.

Heads about to go all over this thread.

Eeech. NS still seems confident of hitting the February target though, I suspect numbers will really take off with the publishing of this new statistical dashboard she spoke about.

My Papa finally got his appointment for Friday, which is a massive relief. I'm hopeful that we'll see a huge spiking in vaccination numbers this week. Of the people classed as vulnerable that are directly in me/my girlfriend's family - he's the last one to get it. That'll be four over 80s, one under 80 and one NHS worker (with underlying conditions) across three different health boards (GGC, Tayside and Highland).