Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp

I don't detect much in the way of good news at the beginning of ...ho hum...another week.

Every single indicator seems to be pointing both towards an extended lockdown...possibly well into the summer, and the growing feeling that nobody in authority really has any kind of fucking clue of how we're going to ever going to come out of this.

Incidentally there is massive volumes of copium being consumed on this thread and everywhere regarding the pandemic and specifically the vaccine rollout.

People bawling about not turning it into a race because their favoured government don’t seem to be doing as well.  People desperately speculating that the evil other side are doing evil stuff and that explains it all. 

Tell that to the 200 upper crust tossers who attended that "rich kids" party in Kensington on Friday night.
Multiple warnings, assaults on the police, yet strangely no arrests were made ??
I wonder why....
Apart from that, the ones who seem to be breaking most rules in my area are the large groups of middle class hill walkers who appear to be ignoring both the travel directive and then the amount of people they can mix with along with no social distancing.
There's no doubt many of the super rich have been massive dicks during this, and deciding to f**k off to wherever they can to avoid it.

And yes, there's an element of 'making your own rules' that applies to lots of people.

But denying that there's problem with a load of arseholes who are the drugs of society is just weird. It's like doing argumentative gymnastics to hide the issue.

My local asda is a good indicator, as it's in a shitty area, and the 'i don't give a f**k brigade' can be seen fairly regularly.

Interesting that of the supermarkets that said they would enforce mask wearing, asda was the biggest one that refused.

Will stop my post splurge but far from being pleased about the UK being so far ahead in terms of vaccinations than our closest neighbours it’s actually starting to worry me a bit. If we manage to get 50% and more done we might need restrictions if the EU are much further behind. Same with the USA, even Bidens new targets are pretty modest.

Another concern is that I’m not sure the UK Government will do the necessary if we are in a situation where stopping flights and arrivals from these places.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Will stop my post splurge but far from being pleased about the UK being so far ahead in terms of vaccinations than our closest neighbours it’s actually starting to worry me a bit. If we manage to get 50% and more done we might need restrictions if the EU are much further behind. Same with the USA, even Bidens new targets are pretty modest.

Another concern is that I’m not sure the UK Government will do the necessary if we are in a situation where stopping flights and arrivals from these places.

And the gloating really doesn't help, I think the Government should be telling people now that all travel corridors are unlikely to be back by June/July/August. I can't see travel to South American countries especially being back this year without quarantine.

18 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Any one of them has the potential to be far worse than we have already experienced.

Also have the potential to be less harmful than already experienced, so aye, we can firmly file this in the "fear mongering to be ignored" bin that Matt Hancock is fast filling up.

23 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's no doubt many of the super rich have been massive dicks during this, and deciding to f**k off to wherever they can to avoid it.

And yes, there's an element of 'making your own rules' that applies to lots of people.

But denying that there's problem with a load of arseholes who are the drugs of society is just weird. It's like doing argumentative gymnastics to hide the issue.

My local asda is a good indicator, as it's in a shitty area, and the 'i don't give a f**k brigade' can be seen fairly regularly.

Interesting that of the supermarkets that said they would enforce mask wearing, asda was the biggest one that refused.

Maybe trying to blame things on the “dregs” of society is the issue then. You sound like Boris Johnson. 

22 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Incidentally there is massive volumes of copium being consumed on this thread and everywhere regarding the pandemic and specifically the vaccine rollout.

People bawling about not turning it into a race because their favoured government don’t seem to be doing as well.  People desperately speculating that the evil other side are doing evil stuff and that explains it all. 

I suspect with mass vaccinations now rolling out the tension about getting out of this is at the peak of the entire pandemic.

Like running a marathon and in the last few miles realising your body is absolutely fucked and you'd just give anything for it to end, when in reality you need to just keep the heid and see out the last remaining miles, as painful as they are.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I suspect with mass vaccinations now rolling out the tension about getting out of this is at the peak of the entire pandemic.

Like running a marathon and in the last few miles realising your body is absolutely fucked and you'd just give anything for it to end, when in reality you need to just keep the heid and see out the last remaining miles, as painful as they are.

I've never ran a marathon, but at least you know where the finish line is. With this it feels like the government are constantly waiting until the finish line is in sight in the distance, then moving it further away.

40 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't detect much in the way of good news at the beginning of ...ho hum...another week.

Every single indicator seems to be pointing both towards an extended lockdown...possibly well into the summer, and the growing feeling that nobody in authority really has any kind of fucking clue of how we're going to ever going to come out of this.

There's a really big shift in tone and language being used in England. Remarkably different from Lockdown #1. Seems a bit like they got they're fingers burnt are now heading towards being ultra cautious this time round (although may come under pressure from Tory backbenchers)

Scotland's numbers don't seem to support such ultra caution, but after what we went through last summer, the likelihood of NS opening anything up before England seems to be remote. 

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've never ran a marathon, but at least you know where the finish line is. With this it feels like the government are constantly waiting until the finish line is in sight in the distance, then moving it further away.

I think it's the virus doing that, every time we think it's over like you did in the summer, it comes back and bites us in the arse. At least we have the vaccine now.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think it's the virus doing that, every time we think it's over like you did in the summer, it comes back and bites us in the arse. At least we have the vaccine now.

And yet, arguably, that finish line feels further away than when we didn't.

Going with “dregs of society” seems like a big classist dog whistle way to frame this.

I haven’t a clue about the rates of infection but is it more prevalent in poorer sections of the population and is a lack of following the rules the most effective explainer for this? I had the impression that big spikes were coming from specific workplaces which suggests a problem with workplace regulations. Even where I work there’s been two separate out breaks in other offices which either means our regulations are shite or everyone is off gallivanting and we’re being more sensible.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

What a clown