Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Our local practice have announced they are receiving enough vaccine to jab all it's over 80s on Monday however the plan to only do injections over 2 specific days over the next week. Surgeries are not vaccinating evenly or even daily. Every surgery makes it's own plan.

The local practice was told it have to complete it's over 80s by next weekend. They will do but it will only feed into the daily figures on the 2 days it plans to inoculate on. Daily figures look to be a mistake to me. Weekly would have made far more sense and stopped all this pathetic mewling weeks before target days.
Tynierose might be able to give an answer.

Can GPs be complied to vaccinate more often?

Or are we relying on the goodwill of GPs?

23 hours ago, pandarilla said:
23 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:
My work has a policy that seems to be we don't care how little/much you do but if you arrive 1 Minute late then you're worse than Hitler.
They also have this crazy approach to people caught going away a few minutes early. As I say they don't actually ask how much you did in the middle part.

^^arrives 15 minutes late and leaves 15 minutes early

Ironically that would have helped.

If you turn up any time between 8 and 8.05 you were likely to be caught by the company lap dog who was waiting in patrol to catch them.

Turn up really late and you were more likely to sneak in unnoticed.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Our one has to close down for all other business when they do vaccinations, so more than a couple of days a week would mean serious collateral damage.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

GP’s arent being given clear information as to when they will receive supplies. This means that they can’t arrange vaccination clinics. Ive seen the wife in tears trying to make sense of this and it seems shared amongst the various gp social media groups she is in. They were actively going to vaccinate over weekends but they couldnt be promised the supplies to make it happen and were having to use the town hall so phoning to cancel and get reserves in was going to be impossible, but they’ve now been told they cant use the town hall and now have to find another venue at short notice and rearrange all those appointments as the health board has decided they are using it. Theres absolutely no clarity, email after email from the health board contradicting or over writing the last one even just an hour apart. They’ve not got a fucking clue and ive absolutely no doubt that it has cost lives through this last year. 

Saying we need to wait to see if they hit their February targets as we fall well below the required run rate is akin to a club needing 40 points for safety, losing their first 13 games of the season, and any criticism of their form being shut down by a bunch of happy clappers since the stated total is still arithmetically possible.

If you're looking at the numbers and thinking "we cannot possibly extrapolate this" then you're not thinking hard enough.

Freeman is an absolute disgrace.

Edited by Marshmallo

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Saying we need to wait to see if they hit their February targets as we fall well below the required run rate is akin to a club needing 40 points for safety, losing their first 13 games of the season, and any criticism of their form being shut down by a bunch of happy clappers since the stated total is still arithmetically possible.

If you're looking at the numbers and thinking "we cannot possibly extrapolate this" then you're not thinking hard enough.

Freeman is an absolute disgrace.

Ollie McBurnie likes this. ^^

26 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Daily figures look to be a mistake to me. Weekly would have made far more sense and stopped all this pathetic mewling weeks before target days.

Would the weekly figure for the past 7 days somehow look any less utterly shit?

15 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Ironically that would have helped.

If you turn up any time between 8 and 8.05 you were likely to be caught by the company lap dog who was waiting in patrol to catch them.

Turn up really late and you were more likely to sneak in unnoticed.

This happens in quite a few workplaces, in fact colleagues in my previous workplace used to be given a formal reprimand and then a warning for the next "late" offence, this quickly changed when I informed the senior management that I'd advised anyone who was likely to be even a few minutes late to just phone in and claim the full day sick as that way they'd avoid a warning and also be paid their full wage while being off.

As usual it was the power mad and half witted jumped up line managers who had dreamed up this "anyone late gets a warning" nonsense, but of course they had no authority and had never thought through the likely consequences of their idiotic scheme.

The result was that said Managers got their arses kicked, all minor timekeeping warnings were scrubbed and I got to act all smug.

I think setting out targets, when they are so many variables that can impact upon the ability to meet them, is a mistake. But the adversarial nature of politics and how the 4th estate go about their business meant that if they hadn't outlined targets the agenda would have been dominated by accusations of lack of transparency. 

I don't see why there would have been a problem in saying that the aim was to roll out the vaccine as quickly as humanly possible (there is no credible argument to suggest that isn't the aim) but acknowledging that various factors could potentially delay it. Treat us like grown ups please. We don't all see things in purely binary terms. 

Edited by John MacLean

I think setting out targets, when they are so many variables that can impact upon the ability to meet them, is a mistake. But the adversarial nature of politics and how the 4th estate go about their business meant that if they hadn't outlined targets the agenda would have been dominated by accusations of lack of transparency. 
I don't see why there would have been a problem in saying that the aim was to roll out the vaccine as quickly as humanly possible (there is no credible argument to suggest that isn't the aim) but acknowledging that various factors could potentially delay it. Treat us like grown ups please. We don't all see things in purely binary terms. 

This

The fact it's now a "race" be that within England, within the nations of the UK or worldwide is farcical. Israel being miles "ahead" when they are ignoring a huge chunk of their population simply highlights this.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This happens in quite a few workplaces, in fact colleagues in my previous workplace used to be given a formal reprimand and then a warning for the next "late" offence, this quickly changed when I informed the senior management that I'd advised anyone who was likely to be even a few minutes late to just phone in and claim the full day sick as that way they'd avoid a warning and also be paid their full wage while being off.

As usual it was the power mad and half witted jumped up line managers who had dreamed up this "anyone late gets a warning" nonsense, but of course they had no authority and had never thought through the likely consequences of their idiotic scheme.

The result was that said Managers got their arses kicked, all minor timekeeping warnings were scrubbed and I got to act all smug.

Should this be filed under under D for Didnae  or H for Happen?

16 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

I like how in your account the fault lies with the shameful press and 'adversarial' politicians for demanding targets as part of the political culture; as if the entire vaccine rollout statement in November wasn't designed for political benefit by the SG as well. Nobody put a gun to Freeman's head and told her to claim that they'd vaccinate 1 million people by the end of January. That's what she said and that's what she ought to be held accountable to. 

The SNP government as much as its Westminster counterpart is all for setting and pointing to targets that it can easily hit. They do not deserve sympathy then for making an arse of it instead and their subsequent attempts to shift the goalposts should be called out. 

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

This

The fact it's now a "race" be that within England, within the nations of the UK or worldwide is farcical. Israel being miles "ahead" when they are ignoring a huge chunk of their population simply highlights this.

The only people obsessed with a 'race with England' are SG fanboys peddling their 'aye but care homes' myth. I'm more interested in why the SG has fallen well short of The Failed Statelet's numbers on all fronts. It's hardly worth even dignifying that mewling about Israel. 

And given that the population are being told to sit in their fucking homes indefinitely while the government chucks endless piles of money on a bonfire to pay for lockdown support, it absolutely should be a race to full vaccination. A single day fewer of this horseshit is worth any minister losing their job in the process because they weren't focused on that goal. 

This has f**k all to do with adversarial politics. This is a group of people who have, quite literally, the key to mitigating an infectious disease to an appropriately low level, such that they can withdraw the emergency powers they have implemented, rendering daily life, livelihoods, health and education et cetera utterly fucking wrecked.  

As much as they needed to be implemented quickly, so they need to be removed, and the idea that folk can't rise above politics to question the people responsible about whether they could be doing more is laughably, and also embarrassingly, insulting.

I've said this before but it is not, and should not, be a case of making comparisons with England as if it is simply a case of being better than them.  That's lazy, simplistic and represents everything that is wrong with the Nationalist cause - and I say that as a Nationalist.  

I don't care what is happening in England, I'm not English and I don't live there.  They are doing things in a different way, have different demographics, infrastructure etc. 

I want to know that the SG are doing all that they can to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible.  I get why we are doing care homes first, and I get that this can take more time.  But if there is enough of the vaccine to simultaneously vaccinate other groups while the care home are worked through then that should happen - dragging our feet while the rest of the population suffer is not acceptable.  This is the acid test for the Scottish Government now.  Lockdown can be painted as a tough decision made by strong leadership, but that's far easier when it's the only option open to you.  Now we have a vaccine that - to whatever extent - can limit the loss of life and accelerate an end to this never-ending nightmare, it is the responsibility of government to do deliver that vaccine as quickly and as efficiently as possible and we should be demanding this of our government.  

This is what Freeman actually said on 19 November:

"Our planning assumption is that, for vaccinators and support staff, we will need over 2,000 by the end of January so that, vaccine availability and delivery schedules yet to be confirmed, we will be able to vaccinate around a million people by that time."

I have looked far and wide and yet to find a target that was set as a million that wasn't subject to vaccine availability and delivery schedules.

Can anyone find a quote or document that says otherwise?

Newspaper headlines (as in this one from that day's Courier) don't actually match up to the actualite of their articles.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/1745509/covid-vaccine-1m-scots-to-get-jab-by-end-of-january-as-drive-for-2000-medical-staff-begins/