Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, s_dog said:

I figured holidays in the UK are going to be hard to find or expensive, so have already booked time off work to watch as many games as possible on TV. Won't be as good if there are no fans, or restricted numbers, but hoping the very worst that will happen is they'll play all the games in one country, with limited numbers at the stadiums.  Its still utter shite for anyone that's bought a ticket and might not get to go to a game though. 

Euro 2020: Uefa 'thinking about' switching tournament to one country

UK holidays are an absolute rip off. 

I saw somewhere this morning that Fringe organisers are hopefully the festival will go ahead in some form this summer.

Will be interesting if it does, certainly can't see things like packed indoor gigs but I wonder if we might see some sort of outdoor type performances.

I can see things like George and Bristo Square being maybe allowed under reduced capacity, seeing as they are outdoors, but gigs may be wishful thinking given the SG track record.

That all said, I enjoyed being able to go for a walk in the town last summer without being acosted by performing arts students from down south trying to persuade me to go see some god awful show.

43 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

So you don't honestly believe there's any merit in what he is saying? I certainly do.

There are doctors from Public Health England and the Pandemic Modelling group coming out this morning and saying that trying to understand the fatality rate of a variant is understandable but in their opinion, is far too preliminary to present to the wider public as fact or even something to speculate upon. It doesn't take a behavioural analyst to see that even Whitty and Valance who flanked Johnson yesterday were particularly uncomfortable with conveying this data as anything more than purely speculative at this point in proceedings and trying to downplay the sensationalist side of it.

Yet here we are with it being the leading line of a nationwide update. What other reason for this would there be to present this in such a manner without the actual facts, other than to try and reinforce adherence?

To be fair it is very easy to see why there's a huge amount of suspicion about this, but at the same time is there not a counter argument that if the data does confirm there is higher mortality, and they hadn't said anything about it, they'd be accused of trying to cover it up? Was it you who posted previously about the 24-hr nature of news coverage nowadays making things more difficult in some ways?

It's crazy, in the past week alone we've had good news from Pfizer vaccine in Israel, not so good news from Pfizer vaccine in Israel, to early to say much about vaccine in Israel. Now we're seeing pretty much the same for this variant in the UK. We've had a few weeks of its more transmissible, we're not sure how much but we don't think its more deadly, to its definitely more transmissible and is the dominant variant here in the UK, then all of a sudden, it's possibly more deadly, no wait it's too early to say. 

FFS, I'm glad I'm not an anxious person, because this must be a nightmare for anyone who is. I've some friends who have just stopped watching any news or reading anything about it and I never really understood the need to go as far as that, but I am beginning to understand why now. 

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

UK holidays are an absolute rip off. 

You are 100% correct. Can you imagine how much more of a rip-off they will be this year? So I'm staying at home and watching the football instead. It it's cancelled, I'll probably.... f**k probably find a tall building to jump off. 

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I saw somewhere this morning that Fringe organisers are hopefully the festival will go ahead in some form this summer.

Absolutely no way should the Edinburgh festival be allowed to go ahead.

This is  not a COVID related post. 

Re Euros 

I don't agree with flying teams all over the place with no fans but I would imagine the selling of sponsorship packages in those stadia are still part of UEFAs considerations 

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Not to mention the alluring appeal of two weeks in the balmy Skegness sunshine. jose.png

Mate, absolutely, the money you pay for these places you can easily get a better holiday in the sun. I get the appeal of a holiday in the highlands if you’re into outdoor sports etc but for me its not somewhere i’d be able to afford to visit for 2 weeks and guarantee a good deal and good weather. 

23 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Possible, maybe because as far as we go in Scotland do we take a risk allowing the tourists back during the summer?

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So long as they are vaccinated and there is evidence of reduced transmission from said vaccines then yes, we should. 

Pretty much what ICR says. Providing there is evidence that the vaccine works as it is meant to, and there is evidence it reduces transmission too, there is really no reason why a vaccinated person could not travel.

If it turns out it is less effective at reducing transmission, then it becomes an issue for individual governments to determine what percentage of their population needs to vaccinated before allowing quarantine free international travel again.

That also, perhaps more crucially, seems to be the views of both Chris Whitty and Jacinda Ardern.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Could someone else not have unlocked them in the morning?

This was about 25 years ago.  The person concerned has now retired and the company in question no longer exists.

Nonetheless if somebody mentions this problem to me any time soon, I will be more than happy to pass on your suggestion.

You are 100% correct. Can you imagine how much more of a rip-off they will be this year? So I'm staying at home and watching the football instead. It it's cancelled, I'll probably.... f**k probably find a tall building to jump off. 
In October, after our holiday to Turkey was cancelled, I looked to see what we could get - it was cheaper having 4 days away in Rome than 2 days away in Scotland.

Assuming the tournament is BCD then playing it across Europe is a massive waste of money, but from a virus point of view I’m not sure it makes a massive difference. As long as each team has their 23 players plus coaches, back room staff, physios, team chefs etc held in a bio secure bubble and tested beforehand, then flying across Europe and staying in different self-contained hotels shouldn’t be a major issue.

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, s_dog said:

In October, after our holiday to Turkey was cancelled, I looked to see what we could get - it was cheaper having 4 days away in Rome than 2 days away in Scotland.

We had the chance to either have 3 nights in Rome or 3 nights in a caravan in Northumberland, roughly similar prices but the wife didnt fancy the hassle of flying (and made me drive down south). We’d been at the caravan park for two hours before she apologised and admitted we should have gone to Rome. Spent a fucking fortune on shite food, shite weather, shite caravan and the ‘friendly’ customer service. 

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

This was about 25 years ago.  The person concerned has now retired and the company in question no longer exists.

Nonetheless if somebody mentions this problem to me any time soon, I will be more than happy to pass on your suggestion.

I'm not surprised if they couldn't organise getting their gates unlocked.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've seen this sort of opinion a few times, but the tournament isn't just for the fans who attend games, it's for the players and the spectators at home too. Unlike club football, most of the fans wouldn't be at the games anyway, and (1) the experience of watching a BCD game on the TV probably isn't going to be hugely different to watching a game with fans on the TV.

(2)I am completely opposed to the idea that you ask a group of players to wait 3 years to play at a major tournament, by which time the likes of David Marshall, Craig Gordon and several other guys who have essentially spent their entire career building up to this won't be able to play, (3) purely to satisfy people who think it's a bit shit to watch it at home.

1) I completely disagree with this - especially for a tournament. I think games can often have an eerie atmosphere when BCD (particularly in huge stadiums), crowds can mask a poor game, celebrations etc are way worse BCD, things like last-minute winners, clinging onto a lead, thumping tackles, shocks and embarrassing results are all so much worse with no fans in the grounds. Maybe it's just me but watching a game without fans on TV is a much worse, more boring and less emotive experience. 

One of the best things about tournaments - albeit less so the Euros - is seeing all the different cultures in the stadiums, fan parks etc which won't happen with no fans. 

2) This is a fair point and it would be incredibly shite if someone like David Marshall had retired, became dreadful or something, and there would be a greater disconnect between the qualification and tournament itself were it to be delayed. 

3) Your final point is stupidly dismissive and I wouldn't have been surprised if Granny Danger wrote it. I don't think "it's a bit shit to watch it at home"; it really depresses me that something that I've waited my entire life for will be reduced to just another few games on the TV. What will the difference be between our triple headers in October and November and the tournament itself? Having something that probably would've been one of the best experiences of many of our lives become the football equivalent of Love Island or I'm A Celebrity isn't "a bit shit".