Coronavirus (COVID-19)

53 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
You are right, but i've got zero confidence that, even in the scenario you describe, the SG will adopt such a laissez faire attitude.
I've got every confidence we will be among the, if not the, last (certainly in Europe) to be restriction free, and will not make this move until after England do so.

Given the vaccination supply issues now surfacing in the EU with both AZ and Pfizer, the UK will be vaccinated long before the majority of Europe. Spain's PM already publicly saying they will not be welcoming overseas tourists before September based on 70% coverage.

Yeah I saw that.

Internally, though, it would be straight out of the SG playbook for JL & NS to stand up and use examples of ongoing restrictions elsewhere as a reason to be cautious.

On that note as well, I wonder when the daily briefings will stop. Looking back on last summer now it was slightly bizarre to require a daily briefing to announce 4 new cases.

Derek Rae tweeting this morning that Uefa plan on going ahead with the Euros as planned, at least in terms of using multiple venues all over Europe, but that it looks likely to go ahead with no fans. Decision to be made by April at the earliest.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Derek Rae tweeting this morning that Uefa plan on going ahead with the Euros as planned, at least in terms of using multiple venues all over Europe, but that it looks likely to go ahead with no fans. Decision to be made by April at the earliest.

If the European club tournaments continued couldn't see any reason why the euros wouldn't

But yes, there will be no tartan army in Wembley unfortunately

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I actually can’t believe that we have had to wait 21 years to get to a tournament, and not only was the joy of making it there robbed from us by Covid, but actually going to the tournament will be too. 

Absolutely gutted at the way this has panned out. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m verging on wishing we hadn’t qualified as this is fucking miserable.

I actually can’t believe that we have had to wait 21 years to get to a tournament, and not only was the joy of making it there robbed from us by Covid, but actually going to the tournament will be too. 
Absolutely gutted at the way this has panned out. Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m verging on wishing we hadn’t qualified as this is fucking miserable.
I suppose on reflection I'm happy that we didn't fail as opposed to being happy we qualified. I was delighted for the players, Steve Clarke etc and it was an unbelievable lift in the aftermath, but I genuinely can't bear having to watch Scotland at a tournament from my living room. Especially with it being a fucking 25-minute drive away.

Behind closed doors is the worst possible option for pretty much anyone without a financial stake in the tournament, but it's what's gonna happen.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

She might be a virologist, but she's not an economist and she's certainly not a psychologist, as much as she seems to think a bit of sunshine will keep spirits up. Of course someone looking purely at how to stop a virus is going to say lockdown. I think everyone agrees the best way to supress a virus is to isolate but there comes a point when the economy needs restarted and we need to watch the population doesn't start topping themselves like Lemmings. Sridhar doesn't have a solution for the economy or peoples mental well being in the meantime. Both are becoming critical.

Don't worry, she's not.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
You are right, but i've got zero confidence that, even in the scenario you describe, the SG will adopt such a laissez faire attitude.
I've got every confidence we will be among the, if not the, last (certainly in Europe) to be restriction free, and will not make this move until after England do so.

Given the vaccination supply issues now surfacing in the EU with both AZ and Pfizer, the UK will be vaccinated long before the majority of Europe. Spain's PM already publicly saying they will not be welcoming overseas tourists before September based on 70% coverage.

Those comments have been rolled back on and flip flopped to late spring by their tourism minister.

Not that I'll be going to Spain this year, but I just hope to f**k the EU also get a handle on this as soon as possible.

Just as Sky News are airing broadcasts shaming one of the terminals at Heathrow for being busy, it turns out their crusty fat b*****d of a presenter is part of the 'problem'.

I wonder if it was like that when Kay Burley fucked off to Africa over Christmas and New Year as well, or for any of their other hypocritical presenters still getting to travel the globe.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

A certain irony that one of the last acts as a doctor by Richard Freeman who was the cycling Team Sky chief medic might well prove to have been giving Covid vaccinations yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/55774324

Having had a request for an adjournment rejected, he did not attend the virtual hearing as he was administering Covid vaccinations at a Lancashire clinic.

Watch out for a team of 85 year olds from Lancashire to do suspiciously well at this year's Tour de France.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

They had previously said a decision on 5 March. If true clearly giving it every chance.

21 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Can the whole thing. Just don't have any qualifying for Euro 2024. Would rather wait another three years to actually see games than have to watch the diluted, sterile shite we're going to get on the telly.

Even the joy of qualifying was muted by the fact that even if folk weren't at the games, we should have been in the pub or at friends' houses watching it with everyone. Instead I'm stuck watching it in the fucking spare room so I don't wake up the baby.

Shite times.

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Can the whole thing. Just don't have any qualifying for Euro 2024. Would rather wait another three years to actually see games than have to watch the diluted, sterile shite we're going to get on the telly.

For most of the the last 25 years I have watched Edinburgh City in the East of Scotland/Lowland League.

Empty stadiums devoid of atmosphere where you can hear the players swear at each other is just normal match attending to me.

If it assists you I find alcohol helps.

Boo hoo, Scotland has qualified for a tournament and it should be cancelled because I can’t go see it.

Me, me, me...

I am delighted we have qualified and I will be cheering on the national team from wherever I can.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've seen this sort of opinion a few times, but the tournament isn't just for the fans who attend games, it's for the players and the spectators at home too. Unlike club football, most of the fans wouldn't be at the games anyway, and the experience of watching a BCD game on the TV probably isn't going to be hugely different to watching a game with fans on the TV.

I am completely opposed to the idea that you ask a group of players to wait 3 years to play at a major tournament, by which time the likes of David Marshall, Craig Gordon and several other guys who have essentially spent their entire career building up to this won't be able to play, purely to satisfy people who think it's a bit shit to watch it at home.

Yeah, that's a fair point actually.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55779171

The government pretending that 'oh no, we're just interested in transparency by promoting an inconclusive study as DEADLY MUTATION EVIDENCE IS HERE via a live Downing Street media briefing and leak to the press pack is one of the most laughable claims in this entire farce. They were wilfully trying to mislead the public to enforce greater compliance and deflect blame from their own culpability.

Downing Street announcements about this issue should be automatically filed in the bin by this stage.

Edited by vikingTON

Just now, virginton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55779171

The government pretending that 'oh no, we're just interested in transparency by promoting an inconclusive study as DEADLY MUTATION EVIDENCE via a live Downing Street media briefing and leak to the press pack is one of the most laughable claims in this entire farce. They were wilfully trying to mislead the public to enforce greater compliance and deflect blame from their own culpability.

Downing Street announcements about this issue should be automatically filed in the bin by this stage.

All you posts should be filed in the bin.