Coronavirus (COVID-19)

48 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Sure I remember somewhere the NFL Franchises letting fans in make them sign a waiver accepting that they will not present any legal claim if they catch Covid whilst attending the game.

How would they be able to differentiate if they got covid at the NFL game or Walmart? Surely they couldnt prove it was contacted at a stadium? 

As an aside I watched an NHL game a few days ago and there was some fans in attendance

Astrazeneca going to fall approx 60% below initial delivery promises to the EU according to reports due to an issue in their supply chain.

I guess this, as with Pfizer and their issues, again proves it's still too early for ScotGov or indeed UKG to confidently be able to commit to x amount of vaccines by x date any more than a few weeks down the line as I'd presume we are or already have going to face these issues too.

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

As much as it disappoints me, it doesnt suprise me that events like Glastonbury have been shelved and NS basically saying no big events will happen this summer. Everybody seems content to sit indoors and have no fun things like gigs, attending sports etc to look forward to. Folk are already writing off 2021 for anything like that, so really we could potentially be existing to work or watch Netflix for almost 2 years. What a depressing way to "live". Cant wait until a vaccine is out that will change things and allow us to do things like that again 🙄 🙄

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In honesty, we suspected that this year would be a bit in limbo as we waited on large swathes of society being vaccinated. 

I hate that we're in this shitty situation but I'm now looking with one eye at the point when restrictions are lifted... When they are, it must be with a degree of finality. There will be absolutely no appetite in a fully vaccinated population to tighten again whatsoever. 

I would accept no large events or gatherings this year but definitely not keeping the population locked down and businesses closed a fucking second longer than they have to be closed. There is a marked difference between no having 80000 folk at a weekend long music festival and preventing people from going to a pub, cinema or restaurant without restrictions, fear or guilt. 

Was going to say the same, big difference between having over 100k people in a field for a week with no social distancing, people from various parts of the UK and little sanitisation at a place like Glastonbury than 20 folk in a pub with protocols in place. The two are completely different.  No one expects everything to just open again instantly but we certainly shouldn't accept being locked in the house for another year either.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Including liability?

If so I wouldn't be comfortable with that as it would likely end in a lot of civil prosecutions my friend who died of Covid could probably have easily identified the person who gave him Covid but I think it's more bad luck that it proved fatal rather than someone's fault as they could be bankrupt by his loss of earnings.

As previously mentioned, this would be a dangerous precedent. I wonder if I or anyone on this forum has ever passed on influenza which has led to the death of some old biddy?

That isn't the way a rational individual should ever, or has ever, operated. And nor should a pragmatic society.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Tied to a tree for going for a walk.

:lol:

3 cases and 2 million tested. 

Every city to build quarantine camps.

This is like a horror film 

I do often wonder what would have happened if the initial outbreak occurred in a western democracy. I imagine we likely would have followed typical epidemic mitigation measures and been more akin to Sweden.

I remember how unthinkable it seemed at the time when they shut up shop in Wuhan, believing how such a measure would never happen here... Indeed, the media also ran with this. Yet here we are.

Edited by Elixir

3 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Was going to say the same, big difference between having over 100k people in a field for a week with no social distancing, people from various parts of the UK and little sanitisation at a place like Glastonbury than 20 folk in a pub with protocols in place. The two are completely different.  No one expects everything to just open again instantly but we certainly shouldn't accept being locked in the house for another year either.

There's also the reality that if you're trying to run a proper music festival - so not you Geoff Ellis - you really need to get your ducks in a row months in advance to make it run smoothly. There's no chance of having the guarantees in place to turn over a site to hold a festival like that at the moment.

The bigger question will be gigs in established venues. Artists can punt the dates back for now but the main restraining factor are restrictions on venues opening and the useless, social distancing nonsense. Once those are filed in the bin then you could restart fairly quickly, so long as the venues and industry itself has just about survived.

As much as i'd be disappointed if I can't go to TRNSMT this year, i've already got in my head that it'll be off.

I'll be incandescent though if I can't go to a pub or restaurant in the summer, without booking a 2 hour slot in advance, as I could do that last year when we didn't have a vaccine!

I'm also booked for Mexico in September. I've got absolutely no doubt that Mexico will be open for tourism then as they are open just now, but i'm not entirely convinced the UKGov / SG will let me go despite the fact i'll be vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As much as i'd be disappointed if I can't go to TRNSMT this year, i've already got in my head that it'll be off.

I'll be incandescent though if I can't go to a pub or restaurant in the summer, without booking a 2 hour slot in advance, as I could do that last year when we didn't have a vaccine!

I'm also booked for Mexico in September. I've got absolutely no doubt that Mexico will be open for tourism then as they are open just now, but i'm not entirely convinced the UKGov / SG will let me go despite the fact i'll be vaccinated.

Tbh I dont think they will stop it at that point because if they do we basically stand to have the collapse of the entire airline industry in the UK and associated businesses, there is no way they’ll get the money they need from the government to miss another summer season and survive. 

40 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Absolutely this. Providing it's legal, i'm going.

I doubt it will be illegal to travel the mass gathering at Trafalgar Square normally has enough soap in it to mean it's the cleanest place in London.

21 minutes ago, Elixir said:

As previously mentioned, this would be a dangerous precedent. I wonder if I or anyone on this forum has ever passed on influenza which has led to the death of some old biddy?

That isn't the way a rational individual should ever, or has ever, operated. And nor should a pragmatic society

I agree but I don't think personal responsibility is actually that good a phrase or an idea when it comes to something that will do very little to most people. Maybe personal responsibility and govt advice on high risk groups but I can't see personal responsibility working if the vaccine isn't the golden bullet. For instance if I tested positive of Covid and went to see my pals, all in their early 20s it is of course my choice and I have weighted up the decision but I don't think it's the safe decision or the one I would make and I'm not sure enough people would sit at home for 10 days whilst it, hopefully, passed.

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Tbh I dont think they will stop it at that point because if they do we basically stand to have the collapse of the entire airline industry in the UK and associated businesses, there is no way they’ll get the money they need from the government to miss another summer season and survive. 

I don't know. On one hand you have a valid point. But on the other it would make a complete mockery of whatever restrictions they have in place at the time to allow people to fly to places where the likes of Coco Bongo are open, yet at the same time restrict the numbers here that can attend outdoor venues like racetracks and stadia.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

I don't know. On one hand you have a valid point. But on the other it would make a complete mockery of whatever restrictions they have in place at the time to allow people to fly to places where the likes of Coco Bongo are open, yet at the same time restrict the numbers here that can attend outdoor venues like racetracks and stadia.

If we have the requisite proportion of the population vaccinated and hospital admissions and transmission are down as the israeli model predicts then we absolutely should be restriction free. That doesnt mean we dont carefully monitor it and even consider testing, but we cant go on like this. The fact the sage advisors the government actually seems to trust are suggesting we will be treating it endemically soon does fill me with hope. The approval of the J&J vaccine will also speed up the ability to power through the population also. 

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

I doubt it will be illegal to travel the mass gathering at Trafalgar Square normally has enough soap in it to mean it's the cleanest place in London.

I agree but I don't think personal responsibility is actually that good a phrase or an idea when it comes to something that will do very little to most people. Maybe personal responsibility and govt advice on high risk groups but I can't see personal responsibility working if the vaccine isn't the golden bullet. For instance if I tested positive of Covid and went to see my pals, all in their early 20s it is of course my choice and I have weighted up the decision but I don't think it's the safe decision or the one I would make and I'm not sure enough people would sit at home for 10 days whilst it, hopefully, passed.

Once the vaccine is bedded in, the only reason you should test positive for Covid is because you are ill enough to be in hospital, or at least require medical assistance. Like we do with flu.

Post vaccine roll out we cannot continue to test, trace and isolate everyone with symptoms mild enough to be still out galavanting.

By all means stay home and off work if you are ill. But there will be no routine testing like there is now.

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If we have the requisite proportion of the population vaccinated and hospital admissions and transmission are down as the israeli model predicts then we absolutely should be restriction free. That doesnt mean we dont carefully monitor it and even consider testing, but we cant go on like this. The fact the sage advisors the government actually seems to trust are suggesting we will be treating it endemically soon does fill me with hope. The approval of the J&J vaccine will also speed up the ability to power through the population also. 

You are right, but i've got zero confidence that, even in the scenario you describe, the SG will adopt such a laissez faire attitude.

I've got every confidence we will be among the, if not the, last (certainly in Europe) to be restriction free, and will not make this move until after England do so.

Edited by Todd_is_God

43 minutes ago, Elixir said:

That isn't the way a rational individual should ever, or has ever, operated. And nor should a pragmatic society.

I do often wonder what would have happened if the initial outbreak occurred in a western democracy. I imagine we likely would have followed typical epidemic mitigation measures and been more akin to Sweden.

I remember how unthinkable it seemed at the time when they shut up shop in Wuhan, believing how such a measure would never happen here... Indeed, the media also ran with this. Yet here we are.

Ferguson pretty much said he hit a semi when the Italians locked down Bergamo and realised they could get away with it here too.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

My work has a policy that seems to be we don't care how little/much you do but if you arrive 1 Minute late then you're worse than Hitler.

They also have this crazy approach to people caught going away a few minutes early. As I say they don't actually ask how much you did in the middle part.

worked in a place like this before. If you left on time it was frowned upon and would always draw comments to make you feel guilty. Most people would do a good 30/40 minutes longer than necessary. Some people would sit there until 6pm having come in at 8. I was a villain for leaving on time despite being early. 

Thank f**k those days are over.

Edited by red23

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'm gonna write an award-winning screenplay which is basically The Last of Us but also Janey Godley became a governing tyrant thanks to the apocalypse

If I live to see this happen the last thing I do before killing myself will be to hunt you down and hand you to Janey myself to be her companion.