Coronavirus (COVID-19)

NS at today's briefing - She says her honest answer to the question "will large-scale events go ahead by summer?" is: No.
I hope this was followed with "When?"
I wasn't watching today, but surely that would be the obvious follow up question
What's the point . No one knows and no one in authority will speculate for fear of being jumped upon if it doesn't come to pass as is perfectly illustrated over the proceeding couple if pages.

Given the cancellations this week it was yet another stupid question. These events clearly are not happening as the organisers of Glastonbury etc have clearly demonstrated.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Being in line with the UK Gov is not the success you are so desperate to proclaim it is, if that means doing less than we could have done.

Well, if they only have 560,000 odd doses then that pretty much adds up to groups 1 and 2, doesn't it?

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The Welsh are deliberately throttling the roll out. Why is it so wild, just because they say they aren't, that the SG might be doing the same?

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what do the Scottish or Welsh governments achieve by slowing down the roll out of the vaccine? Like what is the motive for doing that?

The Welsh are deliberately throttling the roll out. Why is it so wild, just because they say they aren't, that the SG might be doing the same?
They appear to be under the impression Pfizer supply is about to dry up and openly (wrongly in most folks eyes mine included) decided on the back of that info to "eek out" what they had rather than proceed as planned then have the vaccinators sitting doing nothing.

Totally different scenario it was their announced policy

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what do the Scottish or Welsh governments achieve by slowing down the roll out of the vaccine? Like what is the motive for doing that?

Welsh FM said that it’s to stop them from giving out loads of jags only to then be left with not enough.

It’s a batshit mental approach.

2 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Hence why I said "If their numbers and planning have been based on information provided by Westminster which have then subsequently been changed, then the focus shifts south of the border".

If Westminster have altered the supply of vaccines to Scotland, I wouldnt think the SNP would be particularly quiet about that, nor would I expect them to be.

Correct.

And as they haven't said anything about that in the 9 days since publishing that document, we can assume that not only were the figures accurate at the time, they are still accurate now.

RD mentioned the SG recieving over 700k doses already just the other day, and NS did not refute this. Regardless of the unknown quantity the 1m target was pulled from, the supply, as per that table, is on track. Scotland will have recieved over 1.2m doses by the end of January. More than enough to administer 1m.

The SG simply weren't sufficiently prepared.

What's the point . No one knows and no one in authority will speculate for fear of being jumped upon if it doesn't come to pass as is perfectly illustrated over the proceeding couple if pages.

Given the cancellations this week it was yet another stupid question. These events clearly are not happening as the organisers of Glastonbury etc have clearly demonstrated.

I’ve a feeling most organisers were waiting for the first cancelled event before the floodgates opened.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Seems a realistic take.

Of course it is. There are 4 other human coronaviruses still around from over 100 years ago. No reason to expect this one to not join them.

It's why "zero covid" fantasists need sidelined.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Correct.

And as they haven't said anything about that in the 9 days since publishing that document, we can assume that not only were the figures accurate at the time, they are still accurate now.

RD mentioned the SG recieving over 700k doses already just the other day, and NS did not refute this. Regardless of the unknown quantity the 1m target was pulled from, the supply, as per that table, is on track. Scotland will have recieved over 1.2m doses by the end of January. More than enough to administer 1m.

The SG simply weren't sufficiently prepared.

So the plan is to vaccinate with first dose somewhere between 1.1 and 1.2 million by middle of February. Is the argument then that the two weeks difference between using 1.2 million doses by January 31st and doing so by February 14th somehow critical?

29 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

They appear to be under the impression Pfizer supply is about to dry up and openly (wrongly in most folks eyes mine included) decided on the back of that info to "eek out" what they had rather than proceed as planned then have the vaccinators sitting doing nothing.

Totally different scenario it was their announced policy

20210122_134043.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, renton said:

So the plan is to vaccinate with first dose somewhere between 1.1 and 1.2 million by middle of February. Is the argument then that the two weeks difference between using 1.2 million doses by January 31st and doing so by February 14th somehow critical?

It's not that it's critical. But when you have a government preaching for 10 months not to do x, y and z to save lives, and standing at the podium each day chastising anyone who broke their rules, it's fair to point out that them going slower than they could do will literally cost lives.

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

95% of care home residents jagged, 80% of care home staff. Surely to f**k the pace should be picking up now in line with the rest of the U.K?

No excuses now.

Based on the data here, the daily rate of vaccination in Scotland right now is roughly the same as in England (on a per capita basis). Hopefully this will see our pace pick up beyond theirs now given that we have done what are supposed to be the most difficult ones.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I think after approaching a year, and three (hopefully soon to be four) vaccines on the go, people could do with some hope and optimism in life.

More shite - apparently this was always going to be the case to be locked down until summer.

It's fucking January.

We were told that opening for 5 days over Xmas would 'lead to 4 weeks lockdown' and now apparently that was reduced to 1 day opening which is leading to around 5-6 months.

image.thumb.png.986cfa7163938d0c1d37e6a1588f9e0b.png

Once the NHS is no longer at critical levels, this chatter needs to get in the fucking bin. 

These 'zero covid at all costs' fuckers should not be given airtime.

I’ve a feeling most organisers were waiting for the first cancelled event before the floodgates opened.
I'm no expert, in fact I know nothing about how big events are planned and how they are insured but I'm wondering if there is an issue at the moment securing any kind of insurance for cancellations due to Covid. You would imagine insurance companies wouldn't be touching them with a barge pole

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's not that it's critical. But when you have a government preaching for 10 months not to do x, y and z to save lives, and standing at the podium each day chastising anyone who broke their rules, it's fair to point out that them going slower than they could do will literally cost lives.

But you'd also agree that the supply chain would demand that stock arriving to Scotland would have to precede vaccinations in Scotland by at least a minimum of the time required to get it from a warehouse into the hands of a vaccinator, right?

So our unexplained delay between having 1.2 million shots and using 1.2 million shots is now less than two weeks, right?

Edited by renton

On 13/01/2021 at 13:09, Marshmallo said:

Chuckling to myself at the thought I'll be sitting at this desk in my living room in October 2021 having never been more than 5 miles from my flat while the usual suspects continue to post "but supply"

Well said kid