Coronavirus (COVID-19)

49 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

In my line of work working from home isn't an option so I'm no expert here but surely if an employee was keen to work from home the company would realise by the work produced whether that employee is slacking or not?

If an employee is happy and the same level of work produced, that is a no brainer.

Because there’s an entire class of middle management who judge work output purely on the amount of time they see folk in the office. I work in tech where’s there’s relatively okay ways of measuring productivity and you still find a large percentage of managers and companies reluctant to have people work from home. 

48 minutes ago, super_carson said:

More cushty than working at Edinburgh Uni? She'll probably get a gig on GMB that amount she's on it just now...

Edinburgh Uni is a mid-level institution in the global pecking order. She's clearly gunning for a promotion or a chief government advisor role instead. 

3 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Because there’s an entire class of middle management who judge work output purely on the amount of time they see folk in the office. I work in tech where’s there’s relatively okay ways of measuring productivity and you still find a large percentage of managers and companies reluctant to have people work from home. 

It must be much easier pretending to be busy if you're in an office.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Snafu said:
I don't know about any conspiracy theories involving the BBC as I don't watch it at home, but as far as care homes go the NCA 'guy could be right as the first line of defence against the virus is your own immune system. A good number of these elderly would  have low immunity in the first place so the vaccine could only do so much. 
There's always a need to back up so called claims, have a look around and see if there are numbers to back it up, see if it is false.
Regardless of any campaign if there is any, the vaccination of the population of the UK will end the lockdowns and the high level restrictions in areas for this virus this year, there is no if or buts about it.

Surely Covid protection via the vaccine isn't influenced by your immune system. The vaccine efficacy has got to have a zero immunity baseline. No way Pfizer are going to claim (for example) 90% efficacy then put in brackets and small print (unless you are already elderly and have weakened natural immunity). Or is it the case that a 90% in my example is an average and in effect it's almost 100% in a healthy 35yo but way lower in a care home bound 85yo ?

It's the latter, an average. Vaccines variously train, prime or teach your immune system how to respond to a virus, so their efficacy depends entirely on the immune system. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Edinburgh Uni is a mid-level institution in the global pecking order. She's clearly gunning for a promotion or a chief government advisor role instead. 

I was more referring to the fact the staff there don't seem to do much work, certainly that was my experience when I was there.  God help us all if she was an chief government role, mind you.  

BBC reporting that recent research shows about 90% of people said they'd be very likely or likely to have the vaccine if offered. Up about 10% from when same question asked in December. Bad news for anti vaxxers.

Looks like they are going to extend the deadline for SQA estimates until 26 June (as opposed to 28 May now). Also will be no external SQA moderation - no work to be sent in but still expected to do authority moderation - SQA may still ask for evidence if average grades are above the norm.

I'd expect that most schools will be spending the second half of April and most of May carrying out assessments.

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

As the saying goes "there are two types of music fans, those that like Van Morrison, and those that have met him."

I've seen him three times and even though the music was great, he really did give off a vibe that he was doing it as part of some Community Service. One grumpy fúcker.

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

More cushty than working at Edinburgh Uni? She'll probably get a gig on GMB that amount she's on it just now...

Some of these clownshoe advisers will be on shows like Strictly in the years to come, mark my words.

Whats the betting the news outlets completely ignore this, after wetting themselves with excitement over the news that a vaccine, which has been said to take three weeks to work, didn't appear to be massively effective after one week?

Edited by Todd_is_God

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

Aye in a few years time she will (still) be doing something meaningful and you will still be battering away on your keyboard like the sad fùck you are.

Life is harsh.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

9 land borders seems like a tough ask to get to Zero Covid. Will be interesting if her sympathetic view turns into reality.

To compare the answer to #NoCovid Health Minister Jens Spahn just said: "We're not an island!" #BPK

Sounds like Merkel is just trying not to stir anything. She'll be out on her ear soon anyway.

Some nut job on BBC at the moment espousing elimination as a strategy.  No idea who she is.
also saying schools should be shut.
She seemed to be suggesting the UKG was moving in that direction through talk of totally closing all borders as part of a new tightening of measures. !!!