Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Big Fifer said:

If it meant that fans could attend as normal, binning the Euros till 2022, given the world cup's in winter anyway, would probably be a good idea.

They could do that if they REALLY wanted. Would mean a whole lot of shuffling of the football calendar.

But I imagine they'll go for the easy option and go with behind closed doors this summer 

I don't get the point unless you have the crowds? They are stupidity expensive to host and to not get any money back from increased tourism seems like a stupid decision. I could get why the Olympic commission want them on but not the Government.
If Eurosports hadn't bought the bulk of the coverage there there would be no better sporting event to watch during lockdown.
Has it (mostly) been moved from the BBC? That's a bit shite.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The latest BBC morale boosting pick-me-up !

BBC News - Covid: Why won't vaccinating the vulnerable end lockdown?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55757369

They detail that 97% of deaths are in the priority groups if the same is true about hospitalisations then keeping a lockdown will be untenable.

Just now, 101 said:

I don't get the point unless you have the crowds? They are stupidity expensive to host and to not get any money back from increased tourism seems like a stupid decision. I could get why the Olympic commission want them on but not the Government.

If Eurosports hadn't bought the bulk of the coverage there there would be no better sporting event to watch during lockdown.

Of course, lost tourist revenue will be a big number but the revenue from sponsors and TV companies will also be significant - that's what the Japanese Govt. wants to get.  And, the bulk of the expenditure is on infrastructure and that has already been spent so they're committed.  If it doesn't go ahead in summer it never will so that's probably why they are desperate to go ahead to recoup some of their expenditure, or at least minimise losses.

It might be worth taking the risk of licking a door handle or two.
EsScGPkW4AQXLRI?format=jpg%26name=medium&key=0852b7ac61ef8eef4f07da0aac610406e5c013419428edd056310af9b28a4d4a
A brilliant way to massively boost testing numbers and keep the new infections sky high thus justifying restrictions for longer. They are not as daft as they look these Tories !

That would last a fortnight tops with infection rates as they are.

The incentive surely has to be to comply with restrictions thus avoiding catching the virus. That can be interpreted as "rewarding" people who catch it. Covid parties would be rife !!!

Just now, accies1874 said:
3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Has it (mostly) been moved from the BBC? That's a bit shite.

Yeh sure they have 200 hours of coverage and about 8 of that is the opening and closing ceremony and I'm sure I read at the time is in the gift of Eurosports to decide what the BBC get so unlikely to get things like 100m sprinting. Just means I become an expert on even more niche sports.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The incentive surely has to be to comply with restrictions thus avoiding catching the virus. That can be interpreted as "rewarding" people who catch it. Covid parties would be rife !!!

£500 reward v £10,000 fine...

Guy from the national care home association saying over 40% of care home deaths this week had received their 1st dose MORE than 21 days before contracting Covid. Surely that has to be total scaremongering ? He was claiming 52% efficacy based on care home infections more than 21 days after single dose. He's talking about residents vaccinated in December so chances are that's Pfizer vaccine too.

The BBC reporter not even questioning those statements which seem like nonsense. If true that is extremely bad news but the scientific world would surely be all over that if true.

BBC appears to be carrying an organised, sustained " Vaccine won't end lockdown " campaign. God only knows why.

Government diverting doses from English regions who have vaccinated highest levels to areas (London of course) where they are lagging, despite each board presumably being given their share based on population size.

Anyone who thinks they would not do the same to the other nations if they raced wildly ahead as we are hoping I think would be sadly mistaken.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:
£500 reward v £10,000 fine...

10k is multi offenders or organisers is it not and only if you get caught.

Yes, I know but the point still stands - the fine for attendees is £800.  IF you get caught as you say.

The rule of thumb is that Indian employees are great at following a defined script and utterly useless at thinking on their feet. Any role that requires a lot of expert judgement needs kept in the UK.

Sorry, have I just woken up in 1875? Who are Third Lanark playing this weekend?

53 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The rule of thumb is that Indian employees are great at following a defined script and utterly useless at thinking on their feet. Any role that requires a lot of expert judgement needs kept in the UK.

I'm sure you'd excel talking to another country in a foreign language about technical stuff while being paid peanuts right enough.

From my experience indians are more proficient with English than most locals. 

20 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Government diverting doses from English regions who have vaccinated highest levels to areas (London of course) where they are lagging, despite each board presumably being given their share based on population size.

Anyone who thinks they would not do the same to the other nations if they raced wildly ahead as we are hoping I think would be sadly mistaken.

Surprised it took them so long.  At the start of the roll-out London/SE was the worst affected area.  Fully expected them to say we’re keeping all the vaccine here for the moment lads, public health priorites and all that.

Levelling up 😂

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Right you are, Winston.