Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I haven't checked so I don't know, but what are total all cause mortality figures like for the UK in 2020 vs the likes of Europe, the US etc?
It's obvious our response was not good, but with everyone counting what constitues a Covid death differently, looking at that number alone won't be a fair comparison to determine just how bad it was.
I don't often agree with you but you are right here. It's also a reality that the way excess deaths is calculated is different from country as well.

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Conservative Covid recovery group have said that if the vaccination targets are met then lockdown should be lifted three weeks later. Current target is for February 15th which going by this groups targets would see measures loosened on March 8th.

This group is a group of backbench Tory MPs rather than any official government or political body.

It really has been a bizarre time when I have felt more aligned with Conservative Brexiteers at least appearing to fight to return our civil liberties, rather than so-called 'progressives', for quite some time now in this pandemic.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Easter ? The article say 5 March.

"might" last till Easter.

But ministers were also told that restrictions may have to remain in place until after the Easter holidays.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Aye, a few more months of folk locked up in their homes and a huge swathe of the economy totally buggered won't do any harm at all. This acceptance that we will need to be in full lockdown until April/May is absolutely ludicrous.
We're in lockdown because the hospitals are fucked. We've been told that isn't going to improve for several weeks which takes us well into February. Slow improvement from there will hopefully see us starting to open up by the middle of March/beginning of April. To open up any sooner would be ludicrous

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It really has been a bizarre time when I have felt more aligned with Conservative Brexiteers at least appearing to fight to return our civil liberties, rather than so-called 'progressives', for quite some time now in this pandemic.

Get out and guard some statues to take your mind off of it

28 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's part of their overall "small government" agenda.

We're in lockdown because the hospitals are fucked. We've been told that isn't going to improve for several weeks which takes us well into February. Slow improvement from there will hopefully see us starting to open up by the middle of March/beginning of April. To open up any sooner would be ludicrous
This is all very well to be cautious and slowly open things up but unless the support for small business and their employees improves then its going to come at a greater cost. A month here or there may not seem much but you have businesses that have either been closed or running at vastly reduced levels for 14 months by the time the end of April comes around.

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

I don't really have a clue what plan b should be, nor do I think everyone should be kept under restrictions forever. I think that these scientists, advisors etc are pretty much like most of us, they're pinning their hopes on the vaccines working as planned, and beyond that, they'll keep doing what they've being doing up until now, reacting and scrambling about because the whole point is no one knows of a quick & easy answer of how to fix it. The fact they basically sat all summer and warned of a possible second wave in winter and did nothing but wait for vaccines is a perfect example of that.

We may well end up with vaccinations every year while the pandemic runs its course and  have no choice but to live with a certain amount of illness & death from it until it does. Hopefully not, and the vaccines will work and like you say, we'll  be left with something that is at least no more deadly than the flu. But the point is, how can you or anyone else on here, some random people on a football forum, be so absolutely certain about what is going to happen?

Why would vaccines not "work as planned"? They have passed all required clinical trials.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Northern Ireland have vaccinated 80% of care home residents.

Edited to add - that is Northern Ireland have given 80%of their care home residents both doses of the Pfizer vaccine.

Just chasin headlines like bojo think Nic doing a great job with the yoon seethe 😂🤣😂🤣🙈🙉🙊🙈🙉🙊😹😹😭😭😭😭😂

This is all very well to be cautious and slowly open things up but unless the support for small business and their employees improves then its going to come at a greater cost. A month here or there may not seem much but you have businesses that have either been closed or running at vastly reduced levels for 14 months by the time the end of April comes around.
Unless more hospitals are built over the coming weeks we don't have much choice. The ICU's are already over run and staff are at breaking point. I would recommend watching BBC 6 o'clock news this week if you haven't already done so. They've been running daily reports from ICU's.

Unfortunately the economy is already gubbed and we will be paying the price for a generation. I have every sympathy for small businesses and those people who have lost there jobs (I was very nearly one of them at the start of the last lockdown and may still be) but until hospital admissions reduce to a manageable level the only tool we have is restrictions.

21 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Why would vaccines not "work as planned"? They have passed all required clinical trials.

We don't know how long they will work for, or if they will stop transmission. Neither of those is measured in trials.

Anything else involves standard virus behaviour of it constantly varying and mutating which could make vaccines less effective. We'd just need to keep adapting the vaccines to keep ahead of it though. Stéphane Bancel, head of Moderna said just recently "We are going to live with this virus, we think, forever." But then he would say that, as his company will make an awful lot of money if that happens.

Speaking of which, the vaccine roll-out gives the UK Gov another chance to award yet another huge contract to a firm with ties to the Tories.

Tory donor Lord Ashcroft’s outsourcing firm lands £350m vaccination contract

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/revealed-tory-donor-lord-ashcrofts-outsourcing-firm-given-350m-vaccination-contract/

6 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Unfortunately the economy is already gubbed and we will be paying the price for a generation. 

Nowhere near as gubbed or as large a price we'll be paying for extended lockdowns in 2021 as well. Furlough does not remove all operating costs and businesses are failing every week.

The damage to the economy is therefore not some sunk cost that we can now just write off: that element is only going to get worse and not better any time soon. Which is why when restrictions are lifted they should be done promptly and with none of this zero Covid drivel poisoning the well.

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It might be worth taking the risk of licking a door handle or two.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsScGPkW4AQXLRI?format=jpg&name=medium

This is the sensible way to ensure compliance is at least possible for those people in unsecure employment. Only a year late.