Coronavirus (COVID-19)

sorry to be mister doom but be careful what you wish for,  the post covid business world could be the most cut throat ever seen, if a job can be done from another country then it can be done by someone from another country,  there are over a 100 million people in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean who speak English as either their first language or are 100% fluent in it and they are well educated .  cash strapped companies may end up decided to outsource many or all of there operation that do not require a physical presence at the worksite in the uk or wherever else. I can't for the life of me think why big bad companys will suddenly just let their first world staff swan about like gap year students when they could have 5 Indians working 12 hour days for the same price.  maybe some will who knows, I think yes are dreamin!

People who make comments like this have clearly never managed a team in India before.

What I’d like hear from the Government is how they intend to implement the “Roadmap “ out of this situation. I don’t mean on such and such date we drop a level but once we reach a certain level of inoculations, infections and most importantly number of cases in hospitals then we can move down. If the government is honest about all these figures people can see that things are improving and getting closer to a more normal life, give the people a big carrot and they’ll follow.

Edited by budmiester1

People who make comments like this have clearly never managed a team in India before.

Are you bobby williamson?

The HR department where i work have been WFH since march. They work only on computers, they do only what they’re rules a guideline templates say they can do. They work from a script if you call them to resolve an issue. If you need them to deviate from protocol it takes senior management to get involved.
Other than racist people demanding to “ speak to someone in England please” what’s the difference?

59 minutes ago, superbigal said:

This is apparently the truth behind Pfizer delays.  Not very nice of them if 100% true.

Pfizer scaled back vaccine supply after learning about ‘bonus doses’

Pharmaceutical company Pfizer reduced the number of deliveries after hearing that a sixth “bonus dose” could be extracted from a vial, according to Belgium’s federal vaccine task force.

Last weekend, Pfizer announced that it wanted to scale up and would therefore temporarily be able to supply fewer vaccines, but that was not the only reason for the sudden delay of the vaccinations among hospital staff, of which the government was informed on Tuesday afternoon.

The reduction in supply is linked to the fact that six doses can now be taken from a Pfizer vial instead of five, according to Sabine Stordeur (UCL) of the federal vaccination task force.

She told Le Soir that the contract between Pfizer and Belgium is calculated on the number of doses, and not on the number of vials.

This means that now that the company is aware of the fact that Belgium – and other countries as well – could almost consistently get six doses, it scaled back deliveries.

“Coming from 92 plateaus with 195 vials, we are now down to 76 plateaus,” Stordeur said. “We knew that there was a chance that they would adjust that. And they did. It is still a commercial company. It was a mistake to think we could win a dose this way.”

“We were counting the vials, but Pfizer counted the doses according to the contract,” Caroline Leys, spokesperson for the task force, confirmed to De Standaard.

Belgian virologist Marc Van Ranst also reacted to the news on Twitter, asking if he could think that the reduced delivery was “not very decent” of the company.

In the meantime, the federal medicines agency FAMHP has also indicated that Pfizer has officially changed the information on the package to say that six rather than five doses can be taken from a vial.

“That applies to the whole of Europe, those reports have been adapted,” said spokesperson Ann Eeckhout. “This is nothing new for us, but it does have an impact on the communication of the figures. That is precisely why we communicate in the number of doses supplied and not in vials. At least we were able to take advantage of the six doses instead of five for a short time.”

This is when you need a Jack Ma style wee holiday for some corporate execs to give them time to "think and study".

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Yeah I'm not saying he's not been hysterical. He has. But this snobbery towards people genuinely well qualified on their fields has really got my goat during this whole pandemic. 

And basically what people do is rely on some expert's opinion of some other expert 🤷‍♂️ I'm sure I could find an article or two slagging off the guy above, but for whatever reason you've chosen to accept what he says as gospel. Fair enough, but it's a bit far for you to call someone qualified in epidemiology who studied at, and was employed by Harvard and at 37 sits on some pretty prestigious boards, a fraud imo. Presumably you agree with him that people are too scared of covid. 

Edited by madwullie

28 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

What I’d like hear from the Government is how they intend to implement the “Roadmap “ out of this situation. I don’t mean on such and such date we drop a level but once we reach a certain level of inoculations, infections and most importantly number of cases in hospitals then we can move down. If the government is honest about all these figures people can see that things are improving and getting closer to a more normal life, give the people a big carrot and they’ll follow.

They probably don't know.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-sir-patrick-vallance-makes-clear-we-wont-see-the-back-of-the-virus-any-time-soon-12193338

Despite the vaccine, we may well be having the "lift or lockdown" debate all over again come March.

9 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-sir-patrick-vallance-makes-clear-we-wont-see-the-back-of-the-virus-any-time-soon-12193338

Despite the vaccine, we may well be having the "lift or lockdown" debate all over again come March.

The way this is going I genuinely think id lose the will to live if it wasnt for my wee boy and mrs, I couldnt go through years of this, its not living. 

14 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

So you can’t visit a care home after having two vaccinations despite care homes being prioritised and residents given two doses before those visiting them. Makes sense. 

Every single person that passes comment on the long term strategy of this is doing so purely from a health point of view. That might seem an obvius thing to say, but in practice, they are actually all advocating a colossal amount of protection to an increasingly minute amount of people who need it for an indefinite amount of time. Why aren't the politicians stepping in? We don't have the fucking stomach to admit that even with covid still about, we will need to choose between a small number of unfortunate deaths or abject misery for millions.

Embarrassing If we really are a nation so emotionally immature that all we are fit to hear is this fucking drivel from Vallance etc

Guest bernardblack

“Fines of £800 for anyone found at a house party of 15 people or more”

What an absolute joke that is.

Basically says do you what you want as long as there’s less than 15 of you.

5 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

There are existing measures in place to fine people attending parties.  This will be supplemental to reflect a more serious transgression.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Every single person that passes comment on the long term strategy of this is doing so purely from a health point of view. That might seem an obvius thing to say, but in practice, they are actually all advocating a colossal amount of protection to an increasingly minute amount of people who need it for an indefinite amount of time. Why aren't the politicians stepping in? We don't have the fucking stomach to admit that even with covid still about, we will need to choose between a small number of unfortunate deaths or abject misery for millions.

Embarrassing If we really are a nation so emotionally immature that all we are fit to hear is this fucking drivel from Vallance etc

Is it emotional immaturity or is it the severe lack of nuance in public discourse. Not sure any politician would be courageous enough to try and release a statement with qualifiers without the media entirely removing those and presenting a stark "YOU ARE BEING LEFT TO DIE" headline for days on end. Really, there is no benefit for politicians sticking their head above the parapet right now, so they won't.

10 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

No it doesn't...you can still be fined....just not £800

ETA - didnt see Left Back reply above 

Edited by Caledonian1

Think we're genuinely at the stage where the media are fully immersed in dampening any optimism of the public by rolling out doom and gloom merchants. However, I genuinely don't believe this to be the case and as the situation inevitably improves, so too will the confidence and resolve of people. A lessening of cases, ICU admissions and deaths, coupled with the lifting of total lockdowns will lead to people realising that there's actually nothing more to be genuinely scared about than already lurks out there. 

As I mentioned yesterday, we are still in that stage where scientists and medical experts' views trump all and a medical expert is always going to err on the side of caution. Of course they are.

As this winter, where we all are still accepting of restrictions and waiting for a vaccination programme to pick up, gradually becomes spring, the groundswell of dissent (not from the public, the govt. don't give a f**k about their dissent) from several corporate sectors will become loud and will do so quickly. And will be impossible for them to ignore and disregard as the severity of the disease is hammered by the vaccination.

As cases drop, as hospitals empty, as deaths fall away and the burden of the health staff is lessened significantly, the cautious voices of folk like Vallance, van Tam and Leitch will fade into the background and be weighted against that of economists, businessmen and educators.

Will it go away? No. Will people still get it in certain numbers? Of course. But in the presence of a full and completed vaccination programme, you will be no more worried taking covid into the care home and infecting your vaccinated granny than you would be bringing in seasonal flu. 

Edited by djchapsticks