Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

The first travel company to state that you will need to have had both Covid jabs to travel with them.

Admittedly its SAGA so the most risky health wise but possibly a sign of whats to come.

That's got to be almost the perfect conditions for a mass experiment to see just how effective the vaccines really are!

46 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

A couple of weeks ago it seemed certain that construction was going to be shut down in Scotland. I'm in touch with many of the housebuilding sites and teams of joiners. Initial prep work was being done on making structures weathertight in anticipation of being told to stop.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/health-and-safety/scotland-considering-further-construction-restrictions-08-01-2021/

It was something of a surprise that the briefing came and went with little more than changes to takeaways and retail.

While it's true a lot of work was done to get sites re-open last year - social distancing measures, limited numbers on site, enhanced PPE etc, at many sites that has now become a bit of a sham. The sanitising stations are lacking maintenance, the hand gel dispensers are empty and strict one way systems and distancing measures are no longer enforced. The pressure to keep sites moving means full squads are now allowed in and it's up to individual contractors to de-conflict schedules and ensure bubbles aren't breached - many don't bother. A couple of smaller sites have been closed down entirely after cases of Covid were confirmed but larger ones continue with replacements brought in for individuals who have to self-isolate. Unofficially, some sites ask contractors to switch off track and trace apps.

We've put a fair bit of timber out to avant and miller sites the last two weeks. The latter got 8 lots of finishing MDF stuff. No sign of slowing down there .

Dont think they do buddy. They’ve got the power to stop a drunk person driving the train but not riding it. Regardless I dont use the trains anymore because I cant be arsed with drunks and hen parties etc on trains cannae be bothered with it. 
That said I wouldnt ban drinking on the trains, because allegedly that means most of the football bother belongs to BTP and not Police Scotland so lets just leave it with them. 
Scotrail staff backed by police have stopped us twice from boarding the last train at Central on the basis we were "intoxicated".

Both times jumped in a cab to Gilmour Street and simply got on there unchecked. Fiver each for 4 of us rather than 80 for a cab to Ayrshire.

27 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont think they do buddy. They’ve got the power to stop a drunk person driving the train but not riding it. Regardless I dont use the trains anymore because I cant be arsed with drunks and hen parties etc on trains cannae be bothered with it. 
That said I wouldnt ban drinking on the trains, because allegedly that means most of the football bother belongs to BTP and not Police Scotland so lets just leave it with them. 

It might not be illegal to be drunk on a train (and nor should it be, being drunk in itself should never be a crime), but I refuse to believe that the police do not have the power to deal with anyone who is behaving in an obnoxious manner and is disturbing other passengers. That is basically a literal description of "breach of the peace".

Even excluding my usual commute, I'd say I use the trains most weekends and it is very rare that my journey is in any way affected by drunk people, hen parties or anything else like that.

Trains being dry is currently shite and would continue to be on the other side of this.  I very rarely experience any shite behaviour on the train from folk who have had too much to drink.  I've had more bother on busses where you cannot.  

Must be an east coast thing. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I can't really say, I just pop into the thread to occasionally post pertinent things.  I don't follow the back and forth of it.  

You don't know what you're missing...

Has Swinney just said that a "fair proportion " of teachers and police officers will be prioritised as they fall into the groups to be vaccinated first ?

Teachers possibly but policy officers over 50 still on frontline duties making them more susceptible to C19 will be a tiny minority of the force.

17 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

As a retired BTP cop I can say yes there is a byelaw that can refuse you travel on the railway for being in a state of intoxication, used it quite a few times to take persons of a train. It’s byelaw 4 of the Transport Act 2000.

Excellent! The BTP always have mad byelaws for stuff, love it. Im guessing that generally only ever got used when someone was a borderline breach (bet theres a byelaw for a breach on a train too?). Have a charles. 

2 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I agree, but things like outsourcing are business decisions, no UK trade union has that much clout to be able to influence that

If we had a higher proportion of Union members, they absolutely could. Unfortunately, workers' solidarity seems to be a thing of the past. 

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Excellent! The BTP always have mad byelaws for stuff, love it. Im guessing that generally only ever got used when someone was a borderline breach (bet theres a byelaw for a breach on a train too?). Have a charles. 

The railway byelaw cover just about anything from dirty clothes to cattle honestly, most are derived from the Victorian era so were  pretty strict but they have been updated. As for a minor Breach yes the Railway equivalent is “ Disorderly Conduct “

Edited by budmiester1