Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:
Drunk bams being fannies/scaring kids/making long train journeys an ordeal.

Banning kids from trains would help with the third point and completely stop the second one.

Edited by accies1874

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Chucking a football about a coach, it lands in a wee kids colouring book haha aww sorry pal sorry wee man *offers a can to the mum* here no take it, take it c'mon

Giving an example of shite behaviour due to alcohol isn't a reason for a blanket ban.

A couple of weeks ago it seemed certain that construction was going to be shut down in Scotland. I'm in touch with many of the housebuilding sites and teams of joiners. Initial prep work was being done on making structures weathertight in anticipation of being told to stop.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/health-and-safety/scotland-considering-further-construction-restrictions-08-01-2021/

Nicola Sturgeon said her administration is reviewing whether to order the closure of “more non-essential” business activity. From last April until June, construction work deemed “non-essential” was banned in the country.

At a briefing on Thursday, she was asked by a journalist why restrictions are different this year. She said: “To ensure that life with some degree of normality can continue we always try to strike a balance between keeping people at home and allowing certain things continue. In the last lockdown of course, non-essential construction and manufacturing didn’t operate for a period, they’ve both done an awful lot to make their operations safer, but we have to keep all of that under review.

It was something of a surprise that the briefing came and went with little more than changes to takeaways and retail.

While it's true a lot of work was done to get sites re-open last year - social distancing measures, limited numbers on site, enhanced PPE etc, at many sites that has now become a bit of a sham. The sanitising stations are lacking maintenance, the hand gel dispensers are empty and strict one way systems and distancing measures are no longer enforced. The pressure to keep sites moving means full squads are now allowed in and it's up to individual contractors to de-conflict schedules and ensure bubbles aren't breached - many don't bother. A couple of smaller sites have been closed down entirely after cases of Covid were confirmed but larger ones continue with replacements brought in for individuals who have to self-isolate. Unofficially, some sites ask contractors to switch off track and trace apps.

Edited by NewBornBairn

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Cans on a train is one of life's true pleasures. I'm a mournful brooding drunk plagued by paranoid introspection though so no bother to anyone else.

It's "fashionable misrebalism". It's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders now it has a name.

7 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

A couple of weeks ago it seemed certain that construction was going to be shut down in Scotland. I'm in touch with many of the housebuilding sites and teams of joiners. Initial prep work was being done on making structures weathertight in anticipation of being told to stop.

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/health-and-safety/scotland-considering-further-construction-restrictions-08-01-2021/

It was something of a surprise that the briefing came and went with little more than changes to takeaways and retail.

While it's true a lot of work was done to get sites re-open last year - social distancing measures, limited numbers on site, enhanced PPE etc, at many sites that has now become a bit of a sham. The sanitising stations are lacking maintenance, the hand gel dispensers are empty and strict one way systems and distancing measures are no longer enforced. The pressure to keep sites moving means full squads are now allowed in and it's up to individual contractors to de-conflict schedules and ensure bubbles aren't breached - many don't bother. A couple of smaller sites have been closed down entirely after cases of Covid were confirmed but larger ones continue with replacements brought in for individuals who have to self-isolate. Unofficially, some sites ask contractors to switch off track and trace apps.

Construction and manufacturing need to close to make this anything close to a meaningful lockdown.  Just back from a trip up to the doctor, noticed a hereby florist open.  Can’t imagine that being essential retail.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I think there's a fashionable miserablism sometimes in modern life.  I am lucky in that I like the people I work with, I enjoy my job.  I used to quite like going into the office, for both work and social reasons, quite a few of my colleagues in the past have become my good friends.  To read some people you'd think that going into an office to work is a massive punishment.  

I like the office as well but not 5 days a week for 37 hours. Would like to be able to go for a pint with some of my colleagues though.

51 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Scotrail trains should be dry 24/7.

You should be dry you fucking wet wipe

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Construction and manufacturing need to close to make this anything close to a meaningful lockdown.  Just back from a trip up to the doctor, noticed a hereby florist open.  Can’t imagine that being essential retail.

Only if the world is all about me,me,me.

17 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

The police have this power.

Dont think they do buddy. They’ve got the power to stop a drunk person driving the train but not riding it. Regardless I dont use the trains anymore because I cant be arsed with drunks and hen parties etc on trains cannae be bothered with it. 
That said I wouldnt ban drinking on the trains, because allegedly that means most of the football bother belongs to BTP and not Police Scotland so lets just leave it with them.