Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I can't really say, I just pop into the thread to occasionally post pertinent things.  I don't follow the back and forth of it.  

JTS998 called it with great accuracy only a few pages in,  the long incubation period was the elephant in the room this time last year, checking temperatures on folks foreheads was and still is like trying to put a fire out with a water pistol

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

It is absolutely mind-boggling that lockdown discussion divided largely along left-right lines, when the left stands to lose much more in the long term from current policies than the right. In an alternative universe, we could have used the last twelve months to set up a version of UBI fit for the current disruption as well as the wider redundancy of work in the 21st century, but instead we have a short term furlough that will be brushed aside and we're currently haggling over whether people should get an extra £20 in Universal Credit for a few more months. That's the limit of our ambition before the bill gets called on this farce. It's utterly pathetic.

There was a guy who might have tried to do that but you didn't seem to like him very much. 

We'll be waiting a long time before we get the chance to vote for a left wing PM again. 

Missed this first time around but got round to watching it on iPlayer last

Totally Under Control: Trump and Covid-19: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000p36r via @bbciplayer

Documentary comparing the Covid response of South Korea to that of America although you could replace America with pretty much any country in Europe. In fact it's shocking just how similar America's response was to the UK.

Always thought the way Covid played out was some how inevitable and there was little that Govertments could do to prevent the shitshow once it got going. Watching this had me fucking seething!

We had plenty of warning, we knew what should have been done to limit the spread but for mostly political/economic reasons didn't do them. In short a complete and utter failure of government.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There was a guy who might have tried to do that but you didn't seem to like him very much. 

We'll be waiting a long time before we get the chance to vote for a left wing PM again. 

I must have missed UBI being top of Corbyn's policy list.

1 minute ago, MuckleMoo said:

Missed this first time around but got round to watching it on iPlayer last night.

Totally Under Control: Trump and Covid-19: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000p36r via @bbciplayer

Documentary comparing the Covid response of South Korea to that of America although you could replace America with pretty much any country in Europe. In fact it's shocking just how similar America's response was to the UK.

Always thought the way Covid played out was some how inevitable and there was little that Govertments could do to prevent the shitshow once it got going. Watching this had me fucking seething!

We had plenty of warning, we new what should have been done to limit the spread but for mostly political/economic reasons didn't do them. In short a complete and utter failure of government.

Aye. The problem being that policy makers, particularly in treasuries baulk at lockdowns because of the economic impact, then that delay means they end up imposing far longer lockdowns than if they had just done so in the first place. Over reaction is far safer than 'wait and see' in this context.

There was obviously a lot of naivety about this in the West, vs. Asia where they have dealt with SARS and then Bird Flu and have standing policies for how to deal with public health emergencies. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Get yourself to f**k. The onus is not on the general public to sit under a glorified house arrest for years because it just so happens to help a climate change agenda. 

No surprise to see a Malthusian lust for population die-off rearing its ugly head again in the green movement though: it's been their answer to every problem since the 1960s.

Get yourself to f**k. I never once suggested that lockdown or house-arrest as you call it is the way forward. 

Just now, renton said:

Aye. The problem being that policy makers, particularly in treasuries baulk at lockdowns because of the economic impact, then that delay means they end up imposing far longer lockdowns than if they had just done so in the first place. Over reaction is far safer than 'wait and see' in this context.

There was obviously a lot of naivety about this in the West, vs. Asia where they have dealt with SARS and then Bird Flu and have standing policies for how to deal with public health emergencies. 

That's it, if we'd experienced the panic of SARS1 or bird flu to any significant extent there wouldn't have been such a catastrophic delay. I'm sure the attitude in Downing Street was just, well these things usually blow over and turn into a damp squib don't they, rather than a deliberate decision not to act until it was too late.

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Nah, can't beat a few tinnies or some MD2020 on the train to a game. 

It's all about taste. I'd have you keel hauled from the train. A few discreet cans or bottles is fine, if I was in charge I'd prohibit certain drinks. I'd publish a list of course, I'm not the world's most snobbish megalomaniac. I'd probably introduce some kind of face recognition system as well.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Drunk bams being fannies/scaring kids/making long train journeys an ordeal.

I remember my first trip abroad when I was 18.  A mate and me got on the London overnight station in Dundee and a couple of guys were  already sitting with a bevvy in front of them and inside them.  We didn't even make it over the bridge before they started hassling us and the few other passengers in the carriage - we were a couple of wanky 18 year olds so this was a wee bit scary.  The though of 8 hours or so on the train with these 2 guys wasn't the best start to our holiday.  A few minutes later a  Geordie walked through the carriage and the two guys made the mistake of squaring up to him - he brushed it off but a minute later he returned with another mate and he proceeded to kick f**k out of the two arseholes single handedly with his mate simply observing to see fair play observed.  The police came on at Leuchars and lifted the two drunk guys and nothing was said to the Geordies.  I Never forgot that experience so not a fan of drunks on trains.  

I think there's a fashionable miserablism sometimes in modern life.  I am lucky in that I like the people I work with, I enjoy my job.  I used to quite like going into the office, for both work and social reasons, quite a few of my colleagues in the past have become my good friends.  To read some people you'd think that going into an office to work is a massive punishment.  
Hit the nail on the head here mate.

It's much more challenging trying to make my way round the birds at work via Microsoft teams than it was in person tbh.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's it, if we'd experienced the panic of SARS1 or bird flu to any significant extent there wouldn't have been such a catastrophic delay. I'm sure the attitude in Downing Street was just, well these things usually blow over and turn into a damp squib don't they, rather than a deliberate decision not to act until it was too late.

I disagree, I think most of us on here and the public at large would have been seething if we had shutdown borders and lockdown the country over 2 dozen cases in northern Italy.  hindsight is 2020 ( haha get it!) but it would have been met with outrage if we had just gone ahead and done that, perhaps it would have saved us a world of grief tho, the 2nd part tho I think you've hit the nail on the head, they wouldn't want to be the ones who panicked and massively over reacted given that, as has been stated many times, these measures have serious adverse effects in their own right!  history says they waited until it was too late .

Also the same public/ p&bers  who demand the lifting of restriction are calling the government murderers over the death rate ( care homes not withstanding)

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd