Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

The clamour to get back into 5 days a week commuting is baffling. 

ETA, if you want inequalities to rumble on Marshy away and join the mad Tories down south.

I think you're well meaning with this but you're coming across as a bit of an arsehole.

I think it's quite obvious what people mean by normality and it's not commuting 5 days a week into an office.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Not everyone, btw, has had the opportunity to stop commuting.

I imagine these people would like to "get back to normal" where they can meet their friends, go out for dinner, attend events, go on holiday, and maybe even (whisper it) have a pint now and again.

Absolutely baffling that right enough.

Going for a pint/ dinner/ events/ holidays and a pint is not baffling, you are a strange person indeed if that's your view on the world. Social interactions is just about the only reason to exist. It won't be long until they are back but to save you being baffled by other people's interaction maybe you can sit in the house on your Todd.

Just now, 101 said:

Going for a pint/ dinner/ events/ holidays and a pint is not baffling, you are a strange person indeed if that's your view on the world. Social interactions is just about the only reason to exist. It won't be long until they are back but to save you being baffled by other people's interaction maybe you can sit in the house on your Todd.

What a strange reply

The clamour to get back into 5 days a week commuting is baffling. 

Here's something that will shock you, when people are talking about returning to how things were, they're usually not talking about their work. Most people don't care about their work enough for it to enter their mind. They're talking about stuff like being able to visit friends and family in their houses, hug their parents, attend sporting events, concerts etc, go to pubs, cafes and restaurants and go on holidays.

I'd guess that even people with a long, expensive, uncomfortable commute to a shite job would still rather have to do that but get all the above back rather than be stuck with anything close to the absolute shite living we're currently experiencing.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Of course they do, I said it was baffling, not wrong. If you actually engaged and explained why you enjoy commuting then perhaps you would find the forum more useful.

Again you are leaping from conclusion to conclusion. If you are pro wet markets please tell me why they are such a good thing? Why should animals be kept in such conditions? Why should rare animals be slaughtered for food? Why should public health hazards not face scrutiny in a post Covid world? Why shouldn't we look at producing meat without animal slaughter?

I would certainly say that slaughtering wild animals for food is asking for trouble. At least in a farming system you have a chance of regulating the animal's welfare and are exposed to regulatory commitments including vetinary care.

At least then there is less chance of passing a hitherto unknown virus into the human population.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Here's something that will shock you, when people are talking about returning to how things were, they're usually not talking about their work. Most people don't care about their work enough for it to enter their mind. They're talking about stuff like being able to visit friends and family in their houses, hug their parents, attend sporting events, concerts etc, go to pubs, cafes and restaurants and go on holidays.

I'd guess that even people with a long, expensive, uncomfortable commute to a shite job would still rather have to do that but get all the above back rather than be stuck with anything close to the absolute shite living we're currently experiencing.

Going for a pint/ dinner/ events/ holidays and a pint is not baffling, you are a strange person indeed if that's your view on the world. Social interactions is just about the only reason to exist. It won't be long until they are back but to save you being baffled by other people's interaction maybe you can sit in the house on your Craig

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think you're well meaning with this but you're coming across as a bit of an arsehole.

I think it's quite obvious what people mean by normality and it's not commuting 5 days a week into an office.

Maybe I am. But I don't want to return to a world that we left, that means the poorest are reliant of food banks, the world is spiraling into a climate disaster and a Tory Government is common place.

If digging my heels in against those things in an abrasive manner is being an arsehole then so be it. But it would be, in my opinion, the biggest failure in human history to simply return to normal. We have learnt so much and to return to my points of Funding the NHS, reducing carbon emissions and reducing meat consumption if we don't tackle these then we are destined to be in the grip of another pandemic and that's for me too big a price to pay.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Maybe I am. But I don't want to return to a world that we left, that means the poorest are reliant of food banks, the world is spiraling into a climate disaster and a Tory Government is common place.

If digging my heels in against those things in an abrasive manner is being an arsehole then so be it. But it would be, in my opinion, the biggest failure in human history to simply return to normal. We have learnt so much and to return to my points of Funding the NHS, reducing carbon emissions and reducing meat consumption if we don't tackle these then we are destined to be in the grip of another pandemic and that's for me too big a price to pay.

You're wilfully ignoring everything people are saying to you and just repeating that you want society to be better.

I don't know who it is you're arguing against when it's been explained to you what people mean by normality.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Work is where we spend most of our time to not care about that place seems interesting. Of course it's secondary to your list but still important.

As for your second point this is out chance to whack reset it's not a binary choice between going for a pint, going on holiday and spending hours commuting. You can now work from wherever you want you no long have to take 4 weeks off if you want to go to Australia you can got for months if you can take your work laptop with you. This is a chance for the workers to say enough is enough we aren't going backwards we can do anything we want after this it's shaken the world upside down let's not try and reassemble it into what is was before but to something that suits your list in the first paragraph. A world were you can shoot off at lunch time on a Wednesday and make up the hours. 

3 minutes ago, renton said:

I would certainly say that slaughtering wild animals for food is asking for trouble. At least in a farming system you have a chance of regulating the animal's welfare and are exposed to regulatory commitments including vetinary care.

At least then there is less chance of passing a hitherto unknown virus into the human population.

I agree but maybe we don't even need to farm animal we have seen this year that it's possible to create chicken in a factor why wouldn't we harness that? Albeit chickens have just about the lowest carbon footprint of any animal we slaughter but if it can be done with chicken hopefully it won't be long until it's done with beef.

7 minutes ago, 101 said:

Of course they do, I said it was baffling, not wrong. If you actually engaged and explained why you enjoy commuting then perhaps you would find the forum more useful.

Again you are leaping from conclusion to conclusion. If you are pro wet markets please tell me why they are such a good thing? Why should animals be kept in such conditions? Why should rare animals be slaughtered for food? Why should public health hazards not face scrutiny in a post Covid world? Why shouldn't we look at producing meat without animal slaughter?

Not all 'wet markets' have rare animals, not all 'wet markets even kill animal on site.  My source of meat is a wet market, it only has live fish.  Your Wikipedia link explains this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_market

Got to remember we don't all live with a Sainsbury's or ASDA on our doorstep.   Different culture, I daily shop (most do here) as I'm always going past the market, everything is fresh unlike the Tesco supermarket which is 20 miles away and is more expensive.

BTW Tesco are closing business in Thailand, they don't have the market 😉

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You're wilfully ignoring everything people are saying to you and just repeating that you want society to be better.

I don't know who it is you're arguing against when it's been explained to you what people mean by normality.

I don't believe I am wilfully ignoring what they are saying. I have said that the social elements of life are the most important and ought to be cherished. I do however find the want to go back to commuting baffling and I'm yet to be persuaded that sitting on a train for 3 hours a day is anyone's idea of a good time.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I don't believe I am wilfully ignoring what they are saying.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I do however find the want to go back to commuting baffling and I'm yet to be persuaded that sitting on a train for 3 hours a day is anyone's idea of a good time.

What is happening here? 🤣 is 101 a bot?

1 minute ago, 101 said:

"Leaping from conclusion to conclusion" would be assuming I "enjoy commuting" or that I'm "pro wet market" because I've suggested people might have differing opinions

There are positives and negatives about commuting to an office.  There are some things that are better done in face to face meetings, in my specific job being able to go up to people at their desk and be available at our desks for people to come to us is a large part of our job.  I think people starting their careers or new jobs will find it hard to learn and build relationships with colleagues working from home 100% of the time.  

Aside from work related reasons working from home can also isolate people who live on their own.  It can cause problems with a work-life balance, it can feel claustrophobic.  Not everyone has a house set up for working from home easily.  In addition some people thrive on social interaction and dealing with people and a lot of that is lost.  On social media there can be a dominant narrative about offices being horrific places and working from home being the future but a lot of people can enjoy and thrive on it.  I saw a piece by a journalist about this a few weeks ago, I'll try and find it.

Obivously there are big postiives from more working from home as well and all of this is kind of moot given there is a huge outbreak of a virus that is killing thousands of people so working from home is absolutley correct for the next few months at the very least.

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

Not all 'wet markets' have rare animals, not all 'wet markets even kill animal on site.  My source of meat is a wet market, it only has live fish.  Your Wikipedia link explains this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_market

Got to remember we don't all live with a Sainsbury's or ASDA on our doorstep.   Different culture, I daily shop (most do here) as I'm always going past the market, everything is fresh unlike the Tesco supermarket which is 20 miles away and is more expensive.

BTW Tesco are closing business in Thailand, they don't have the market 😉

I still don't believe that better regulations in wet markets is a bad thing. British and American shopping habits have their own issues. But there is still an issue with the markets, even if they don't have live animals they will likely have birds or bats flying round them meaning their excretion has a higher chance if entering the human food chain.

Shame about Tesco your clubcard points are basically useless now ;)

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'm yet to be persuaded that sitting on a train for 3 hours a day is anyone's idea of a good time.

Add in a bag of cans and it's the definition of a fucking great away day at the fitba.

Aberdeen away! Get involved.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Who is saying this?

It was a general point. Normal life as it was meant extremely long periods of time commuting. The debate has moved on from that point, of course people don't enjoy it. I made a wider point about how we shouldn't go back but instead forward and part of that was ditching the commute.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There are positives and negatives about commuting to an office.  There are some things that are better done in face to face meetings, in my specific job being able to go up to people at their desk and be available at our desks for people to come to us is a large part of our job.  I think people starting their careers or new jobs will find it hard to learn and build relationships with colleagues working from home 100% of the time.  

Aside from work related reasons working from home can also isolate people who live on their own.  It can cause problems with a work-life balance, it can feel claustrophobic.  Not everyone has a house set up for working from home easily.  In addition some people thrive on social interaction and dealing with people and a lot of that is lost.  On social media there can be a dominant narrative about offices being horrific places and working from home being the future but a lot of people can enjoy and thrive on it.  I saw a piece by a journalist about this a few weeks ago, I'll try and find it.

Obivously there are big postiives from more working from home as well and all of this is kind of moot given there is a huge outbreak of a virus that is killing thousands of people so working from home is absolutley correct for the next few months at the very least.

Nah it's baffling imo

5 minutes ago, 101 said:

Work is where we spend most of our time to not care about that place seems interesting. Of course it's secondary to your list but still important.

As for your second point this is out chance to whack reset it's not a binary choice between going for a pint, going on holiday and spending hours commuting. You can now work from wherever you want you no long have to take 4 weeks off if you want to go to Australia you can got for months if you can take your work laptop with you. This is a chance for the workers to say enough is enough we aren't going backwards we can do anything we want after this it's shaken the world upside down let's not try and reassemble it into what is was before but to something that suits your list in the first paragraph. A world were you can shoot off at lunch time on a Wednesday and make up the hours. 

I agree but maybe we don't even need to farm animal we have seen this year that it's possible to create chicken in a factor why wouldn't we harness that? Albeit chickens have just about the lowest carbon footprint of any animal we slaughter but if it can be done with chicken hopefully it won't be long until it's done with beef.

sorry to be mister doom but be careful what you wish for,  the post covid business world could be the most cut throat ever seen, if a job can be done from another country then it can be done by someone from another country,  there are over a 100 million people in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean who speak English as either their first language or are 100% fluent in it and they are well educated .  cash strapped companies may end up decided to outsource many or all of there operation that do not require a physical presence at the worksite in the uk or wherever else. I can't for the life of me think why big bad companys will suddenly just let their first world staff swan about like gap year students when they could have 5 Indians working 12 hour days for the same price.  maybe some will who knows, I think yes are dreamin!