Coronavirus (COVID-19)

How many times does Davidson need to have the vaccination plan explained to her ?

As many times as she can to try and score a headline.

Kinda redundant seeing as England's pace has also slowed down over the last few days, but of course, the BBC report about that on its rolling coverage today was making the explanation that it was due supply and complications.

Meanwhile their Scotland page was carrying the criticism of the slow roll out up here.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There is no way anywhere is going back into the tier system based on cases falling with admissions / ICU and deaths not showing sustained falls when eventually they even peak !

Presumably they'll drop a week or so behind the infection rate? Highland's back down to 115/100,000 after peaking at 250.

31 minutes ago, bendan said:

Do you have a link to that? I haven't read that at all - have they even had enough time to measure the full effect of the second dose?

https://www.ynetnews.com/health_science/article/H1jaK7mkd

Having now read the article fully (fancy doing that in this day and age) there's no proof that they can't transmit it yet, but they're saying the amount of antibodies being produced (6-20x more than folk who've naturally recovered from the virus) means it's pretty unlikely anyone would be able to pass it on.

Presumably they'll drop a week or so behind the infection rate? Highland's back down to 115/100,000 after peaking at 250.
Who knows there appears to be no peak yet despite cases falling now for more than 10 days. You would think it has to peak soon though. I would say we need 4-6 weeks of sustained drops in hospital / ICU admissions and deaths before they will consider easing any measures. That pretty much ties in with the mid February extension yesterday. Again all this assumes these rates drop as expected.

As many times as she can to try and score a headline.

Kinda redundant seeing as England's pace has also slowed down over the last few days, but of course, the BBC report about that on its rolling coverage today was making the explanation that it was due supply and complications.

Meanwhile their Scotland page was carrying the criticism of the slow roll out up here.
She's an utter choob!

Does she honestly think ANY authority is intentionally slowing a life saving process ?

Citing individual over 80s as not having been given a date when they will be jagged when it's public knowledge that the majority seem to be getting about 2 or 3 days notice is utterly futile and a waste of the precious little time she has.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

She's an utter choob!

Does she honestly think ANY authority is intentionally slowing a life saving process ?

Incompetence isn't intentional but still slows down any large-scale project. Your complaint is the equivalent of the 'aye but it wasn't deliberate though!' bleating about a stonewall foul in the penalty box. 

13 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Having now read the article fully (fancy doing that in this day and age) there's no proof that they can't transmit it yet, but they're saying the amount of antibodies being produced (6-20x more than folk who've naturally recovered from the virus) means it's pretty unlikely anyone would be able to pass it on.

Although for us that means, that a high degree of transmission barrier won't occur for another 8-12 weeks

15 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm probably being pessimistic, but I can imagine a scenario in which the Astrazeneca vaccine doesn't achieve this but Pfizer/Moderna do and countries start demanding evidence of the latter for international travel.

I'm probably being pessimistic, but I can imagine a scenario in which the Astrazeneca vaccine doesn't achieve this but Pfizer/Moderna do and countries start demanding evidence of the latter for international travel.

Is anyone who has been vaccinated even being given acknowledgment of having been dosed never mind a record of the product used ? I thought the UKGs were firmly against vaccination passports for now.

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

Worryingly not going so well in Israel with vaccinations as previously thought, while early results of the two-dose regimen are promising, they've also being dong just single doses, and they are concerning. These are only very early preliminary studies, but Sky suggest UK Gov looking closely at them, as probably every other country is doing.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-to-look-very-carefully-at-vaccine-dosing-after-concerns-raised-over-level-of-protection-12193205

Also bit in the Guardian about cases rising in Israel despite being in lockdown & in midst of vaccinating.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped

It feels like we're all in a big giant experiment. And we've got everything from people denying it exists and is a worldwide conspiracy by the rich elite, people that know it exists but think only the old & vulnerable should be staying at home and put their fingers in their ears and continue to shout that it'll be fine by Spring, to doctors desperate to show the reality inside their hospitals where they are struggling despite lots of surge capacity in ICU, and people who have been ultra careful and haven't been outside their own house for over 10 months, despite being neither old nor vulnerable. 

Oh and not forgetting the tennis players and their partners who've been flown into Australia for the Open (with first round losers earning £55k) and after some positive covid tests are moaning at being kept in quarantine in their hotels free of charge and all meals provided, with Bernard Tomic's girlfriend complaining she has to wash her own hair. 

Sky News, in particular, seem more than a little excited by this non-story

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

One dose is better than nae doses and two doses appears to be working as we thought. What's the worry?

Correct - that's why it's a non story, despite Sky's best efforts.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

First Covid story that's made me laugh ☺️

48 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-01/uoc-fot011821.php

Cambridge and Imperial college researchers quantify the vital importance of ventilation to prevent indoor transmission.  Masks and adequate ventilation are vitally important to prevent this.  Hand sanitiser and standing 2m away does not. 

In which case, after this lockdown, #letfansin to the fitba

20 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

How many times does Davidson need to have the vaccination plan explained to her ?

Even if she's talking pish, I have no issue with RD keeping the pressure on

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, bendan said:

Is anyone who has been vaccinated even being given acknowledgment of having been dosed never mind a record of the product used ? I thought the UKGs were firmly against vaccination passports for now.

My mum just got a detailed sheet describing the Pfizer vaccine without "Pfizer" being mentioned at all. Maybe you'll get some proof you've had it after the 2nd jab.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 minutes ago, bendan said:

I'm sure the UKGs are against vaccination passports but I don't see how that would influence other countries.

13 minutes ago, bendan said:

Not likely to happen. Imagine China, 2nd largest economy in the world, going to do all its vaccinations with its own vaccine... Will be dead against such a measure.

Even if she's talking pish, I have no issue with RD keeping the pressure on
Let's get vaccine speeds into perspective. Even if we don't increase speed one jot from yesterday's 25k a day, we would have every person over 16 in Scotland had a jab by 7 July given over 300k are already done. The actual target for over 18s rather than 16s UK wide (if the policy is extended to that, so far that's unclear) is September.

For me she's flogging a dead horse here.

I'm sure the UKGs are against vaccination passports but I don't see how that would influence other countries.
It won't but it would curtail our travel if they (other countries) did insist and that surely would lead to pressure to do whatever it takes to let UK citizens travel abroad

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

She's an utter choob!

Citing individual over 80s as not having been given a date when they will be jagged when it's public knowledge that the majority seem to be getting about 2 or 3 days notice is utterly futile and a waste of the precious little time she has.

Of course she doesn't but she's not asking these questions to get an answer. 

I think it is very important that opposition parties hold governments to account but there is a distinction between trying to hold to account and merely trying to score cheap political points.  

6 minutes ago, renton said:

Not likely to happen. Imagine China, 2nd largest economy in the world, going to do all its vaccinations with its own vaccine... Will be dead against such a measure.

Lads I think some of you are overthinking this vaccine requirements stuff,

If there are 2000 people at a standing gig at the barras jumping and dancing around together and 50 of them haven't had the vaccine. it won't matter .   it's not that likely by that point that 1 in 50 people will have covid and if they do it's not likely that all 50 of them would be huddled together and if they were. well who cares because it's hardly going to put the NHS into a crises if 5 of them need to go to hospital.

TL'DR if enough people are protected ( not everyone just enough to keep it at low levels) then it really is  over as a public health crisis

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

9 minutes ago, renton said:

China has basically shut its borders and I doubt it is going to be in a hurry to open them any time soon.

I for one think we’d be doing a lot better in the pandemic and have a lot more people vaccinated if we didn’t have a different government and were simply just led by Mr Boris Johnston and the UK government. 

Ruth Davidson on point again today. Sturgeon must be shaking in her boots