Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Why are we not going to get everyone vaccinated ?

It's been publicly stated that by September all adults in the UK will have been offered the vaccine. I can't see C19 mutating into a child killing disease so there should be no one at risk not being offered vaccination by late summer.

Other countries are a concern but as long as we are monitoring the virus globally it should be manageable for a country that has vaccinated its adult population.

Because there are people who won't take the vaccine for personal views or religious beliefs. Obviously we all hope that number is as low as possible but some opinion polls have it as high as 20%. That 20% might not be a problem if it's spread right through the UK but if it's concentrated in a particular region then it could still pose a threat to the health care system.

8 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

If restrictions such as we've faced for the last 10 months are constantly around the corner then the game is a bogey.

They are round the corner anyway if there is one thing we can be sure of it won't be 100 years until the next pandemic. We have don't nothing to stop the virus entering humans since 2019, wet markets still exists and the market for low cost chicken mean we or the US could be the next epicenter.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Because there are people who won't take the vaccine for personal views or religious beliefs. Obviously we all hope that number is as low as possible but some opinion polls have it as high as 20%. That 20% might not be a problem if it's spread right through the UK but if it's concentrated in a particular region then it could still pose a threat to the health care system.

Aye, let's all kick about with spending eye watering amounts of money and locking people who are not sick in their homes because some people don't want to upset their chosen sky fairy.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

The kind of areas where uptake of the vaccine will be low are precisely the areas that have had high incidences of Covid, so although it's an issue, I don't think it's a big one. I'm not as optimistic as some on the impact some future variants might have, though. I think there's quite a big chance that we need to keep tweaking the vaccine and do annual vaccinations. There needs to be a big global push on improving treatments.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Aye, let's all kick about with spending eye watering amounts of money and locking people who are not sick in their homes because some people don't want to upset their chosen sky fairy.

I didn't say lockdown areas that have high non vaccination rates, it does however mean that Test and Protect or Test and Trace will have to be around for ages. The simple fact is we can't make it mandatory to get the vaccine and come September we will know exactly how many people aren't going to take it and then we will know what future the pandemic has for us.

The groups who have specific religious objections to vaccines are absolutely tiny.  Some sects of ultra-Orthodox Jews and I believe that some Jehovah's Witnesses or Seven Day Adventists refuse vaccines.  It's a minute number of people, perhaps the issue with the ultra-Orthodox is that they tend to live in specific areas so it could cause problems in that area.  In terms of the national figure it's practically zero.

You don't agree then that until we are all safe, nobody is safe? 
You have lost me a bit. We will be as safe as we can be once everyone over 18 has been vaccinated is what I'm saying. After that it requires us paying heed to how the virus behaves. Can't really see any other way to deal with it once we reach that stage.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

The groups who have specific religious objections to vaccines are absolutely tiny.  Some sects of ultra-Orthodox Jews and I believe that some Jehovah's Witnesses or Seven Day Adventists refuse vaccines.  It's a minute number of people, perhaps the issue with the ultra-Orthodox is that they tend to live in specific areas so it could cause problems in that area.  In terms of the national figure it's practically zero.

I agree and they will be a small % of the folk who refuse it but the point I rebutted was that we would vaccinate all adults. It won't happen and it's therefore a sliding scale of how many you do get refusing.

They are round the corner anyway if there is one thing we can be sure of it won't be 100 years until the next pandemic. We have don't nothing to stop the virus entering humans since 2019, wet markets still exists and the market for low cost chicken mean we or the US could be the next epicenter.
Those folk must not and will not be pandered too. Religious refusal is an acceptance of the situation. Medical unsuitability again will be tiny. Anti Vaxx will be the vast majority of the 20% and they can GTF. A bit like vegetarianism that's a lifestyle choice.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
32 minutes ago, hk blues said:
You don't agree then that until we are all safe, nobody is safe? 

You have lost me a bit. We will be as safe as we can be once everyone over 18 has been vaccinated is what I'm saying. After that it requires us paying heed to how the virus behaves. Can't really see any other way to deal with it once we reach that stage.

Think he’s talking about the wider world.  We can be as safe as we like but we’d possibly be locked up on our own wee island until the world is vaccinated and would be at risk of importing vaccine resistant strains.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

I didn't say lockdown areas that have high non vaccination rates, it does however mean that Test and Protect or Test and Trace will have to be around for ages. The simple fact is we can't make it mandatory to get the vaccine and come September we will know exactly how many people aren't going to take it and then we will know what future the pandemic has for us.

Then get their religious bodies to pay for it, and the wages of everyone forced to isolate as a result.

They can get fucked tbh if they think i'm going to be isolating etc because specific groups of people have chosen not to take the vaccine.

Interesting Q&A with Vallance on Sky this morning.  With hindsight reckons they should have locked down harder and faster in March.  He also said he wishes (but he can’t see how anyone can have predicted this was necessary) they’d recommended closing the borders last January.  He reckons by March it was too late and wouldn’t have made any difference.

Think he’s talking about the wider world.  We can be as safe as we like but we’d possibly be locked up on our own wee island until the world is vaccinated and would be at risk of importing vaccine resistant strains.
Surely if we are vaccinated that just becomes an issue of control of importation. There are bound to be travel restrictions given the world wide inequality will extend to vaccination too. Whether other countries let us in is something we have no control over, UK can only control UK borders.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Surely if we are vaccinated that just becomes an issue of control of importation. There are bound to be travel restrictions given the world wide inequality will extend to vaccination too. Whether other countries let us in is something we have no control over, UK can only control UK borders.

Id argue if Biden keeps his 100million in 100 days promise re vaccination then the US would be an ideal candidate for allowing vaccinated types from each country to travel with proof, same for EU when they up the roll out. Ive every sympathy for people who cant be vaccinated for medical reasons, but i’ll be fucked if id accept continued restrictions because of sky fairy views slowing things down, get that shite right in the sea. 

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I agree with you.  The mantra being spouted a few months back was the one about us all needing to be safe globally to beat the virus.  From a compassion point of view thats correct I suppose.

I don’t think it will be as easy to prevent importation as we think.  If it was that easy to close the borders we we wouldn’t have pictures in the news of illegal immigrants being fished out of the channel or dead vietnamese in the back of lorries.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This. Vaccination roll out in the EU will be pretty decent, so by the time we are in a position to allow our population out, they will be in a position to let us in. And vice versa.

In the wider world, poorer countries might be off the menu for a bit longer, but again, being vaccinated (both doses) yourself should offer sufficient protection.

The vaccine resistant strain panic seems a bit of a stretch as it is based firstly on a problem that doesn't actually exist, but also ignores the prospect that previous exposure to other coronaviruses or SARS would likely reduce the severity of infection anyway, and therefore the vaccine would still have a good effect.

Edited by Todd_is_God

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
31 minutes ago, 101 said:

Those folk must not and will not be pandered too. Religious refusal is an acceptance of the situation. Medical unsuitability again will be tiny. Anti Vaxx will be the vast majority of the 20% and they can GTF. A bit like vegetarianism that's a lifestyle choice.

I agree we should pander to then but must identify and keep a close watch on the risk that they generate. There are people who deliberately get aids, it's an extremely small sub section of society but if it got bigger despite it not being an issue for most people it would need to be kept under close watch due to the broader risk to society.

Unless I’ve misunderstood the potential effects of the vaccine, I’m struggling to see why we would ever need any kind of restrictions once all adults have been vaccinated.

Even allowing for the worst case scenario of a frankly crazy figure of 20% choosing not to be vaccinated, future hospitalisation figures would be 80% less than at present, even if infection rates are similar to now. The NHS would be in no danger of being overwhelmed therefore no need for any restrictions at all?