Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, virginton said:

That depends on what you mean by 'keep locked down'. If you mean 'tiered restrictions according to regional cases', then absolutely. Just bring schools into the setup instead of pretending that they don't have an impact and the measures can clearly be ratcheted up/down according to need. If you mean 'keep the current near blanket lockdown for another 10-12 weeks because big scary mutation threat' then no, that strategy can f**k off quite frankly.

And after the vulnerable categories have been vaccinated then tier 0 should actually mean zero restrictions instead of this 'nearer to normal' goalpost shifting exercise.

That would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that the majority of hospital admissions at the moment are from 'non vulnerable' categories. 

There's not a chance in hell that we'll see zero restrictions in the forseeable future. The last few months of the year maybe, if at all in 2021. 

Anyone else get a letter through the door from NS today? Seemed to suggest we’re only putting up with these restrictions until the vulnerable are vaccinated. 
I have this horrible feeling though that we’re still going to be required to socially distance right throughout this year. Just a hunch. 

1 minute ago, Alex_14 said:

Yeah, to be honest I’ve no idea where this hope of ‘normal’ by April is coming from. No chance.

No one is saying that it is going to be "normal" in April. I personally would like to see my parents somehow before then though as a few people seem to suggest that this current lockdown in this format should remain until the end of April.  That can get so far in the sea that aquaman would not be able to save it.

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That would be fine if it wasn't for the fact that the majority of hospital admissions at the moment are from 'non vulnerable' categories. 

There's not a chance in hell that we'll see zero restrictions in the forseeable future. The last few months of the year maybe, if at all in 2021. 

Are they really? The majority of admissions are for below 50 year old adults with no prior medical problems?

I don't what that's got to do with the section you've highlighted regardless. Once a local area fits the objective criteria for tier 0 - minus the 'overall cases' which can now be phased out of the process - why would they be required to maintain social distancing and other measures? Those were only put in place because there was no treatment. There are plenty of treatment options now. 

There is therefore absolutely zero basis for continuing to make social distancing and other measures mandatory in tier 0 areas where there is no credible public health threat whatsoever.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Anyone else get a letter through the door from NS today? Seemed to suggest we’re only putting up with these restrictions until the vulnerable are vaccinated. 
I have this horrible feeling though that we’re still going to be required to socially distance right throughout this year. Just a hunch. 

I’m feeling left out.  We’ve not had a single letter from the government since the start of this whole thing.  I think I recall “everyone” getting a letter middle of last year which we didn’t get.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

That depends on what you mean by 'keep locked down'. If you mean 'tiered restrictions according to regional cases', then absolutely. Just bring schools into the setup instead of pretending that they don't have an impact and the measures can clearly be ratcheted up/down according to need. If you mean 'keep the current near blanket lockdown for another 10-12 weeks because big scary mutation threat' then no, that strategy can f**k off quite frankly.

And after the vulnerable categories have been vaccinated then tier 0 should actually mean zero restrictions instead of this 'nearer to normal' goalpost shifting exercise.

I'm suggesting I'm more sympathetic to the current lockdown that I was in summer '20.    I'm also enjoying some time off work for the first time in 80 years.  

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

Somewhere in the middle tbh. If their concerns about the transmissibility of this new variant have any grounding at all, shielders and the rest of the "highest risk" categoried shielding until 3 weeks after their first dose would be wise. If they don't, then please shut up about it as it's irrelevant.

Either way, I don't see why the current restrictions need to be applied outwith those people, however, if the figures in general support lower tiers.

Edited by Todd_is_God

10 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I'm suggesting I'm more sympathetic to the current lockdown that I was in summer '20.    I'm also enjoying some time off work for the first time in 80 years.  

You should retire.  We have pensions these days.  Not like when you were a lad.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Oh for sure the levels of death right now are morally unacceptable, but I'm talking in a more general sense that a lot of people don't seem to realise the horrors of death and poverty that existed long before the pandemic and will still exist long afterwards.

At this stage I really don't think there's much more we can do. The vast majority of the population is going to catch this sooner or later, it just depends if they'll have been vaccinated by then first.

My only hope is that by next winter deaths return to pretty much average levels, with few if any restrictions in place, as that is what will signal the end of the pandemic and will make the suppression of liberties unjustifiable.

I agree with you that too many didn't think poverty and death didn't effect them that it effects us all hopefully people will realise that in order to fight pandemics we need a healthy and financially stable population. But with the Scottish Tory MPs voting to reduce Universal Credit I can't but think that the last year has taught them nothing. They are idiots destined to bring us another pandemic.

I think maintaining a balance of restrictions and vaccinations is the way to ease things and hopefully ease pressure on the hospitals.

I hope things like better handwashing and maybe even mask wearing (although more convulsive science is needed in their effectiveness) might return next winter to bring deaths from flu to a new low and keep things that way.

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yeah that's not true at all.

Screenshot_20210119-221408_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210119-221329_Opera.jpg

The '45 to 64' category surely comes under 'non vulnerable' ?

It covers a huge 20 year age gap, but as far as I'm aware there's no plan to vaccinate this group anytime soon. In fact those aged 45 to 49 may not get vaccinated until well into the summer. 

The fact is, as much as we all want restrictions lifted ASAP, if hospital admissions in those in non vaccinated age groups continues to remain high, there will be absolutely no chance of restrictions being removed quickly. 

17 minutes ago, The Stig said:

No one is saying that it is going to be "normal" in April. I personally would like to see my parents somehow before then though as a few people seem to suggest that this current lockdown in this format should remain until the end of April.  That can get so far in the sea that aquaman would not be able to save it.

Thing is, everybody gets hung up on "normal" but it's a vague term really.

"Normal" suggests to me going back to the way things were before March 2020 -  there's no way anybody will be able to jump on a plane to literally anywhere in the world for months an months yet, or to go to some shitey nightclub and eat the face off some random.

Pubs, cinemas, restaurants, full football stadiums are probably going to be a thing again fairly soon you'd think - probably on the proviso that things like table service, using an app to order/book are to be encouraged until most folk have their jab.

Home visits will probably be back soon enough too.

People simply won't abide by the policies needed for the zero COVID approach, as if they tried to impose them on, for example, people who want to visit their vaccinated, elderly parents then people would tell them to f**k off.

13 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The '45 to 64' category surely comes under 'non vulnerable' ?

It covers a huge 20 year age gap, but as far as I'm aware there's no plan to vaccinate this group anytime soon. In fact those aged 45 to 49 may not get vaccinated until well into the summer. 

The fact is, as much as we all want restrictions lifted ASAP, if hospital admissions in those in non vaccinated age groups continues to remain high, there will be absolutely no chance of restrictions being removed quickly. 

About 25% of it does, yes. I'd be inclined to suggest that the vast majority of those numbers are in the 50-64 range given that the JCVI have classified adults over 50 as "at risk" rather than adults over 45.

Even without taking that in to account, though, your statement was still wrong.

Going forward I would expect the average age of admissions to slowly drop, and the percentage from outwith the at risk groups to increase, but not because the numbers from this group are actually getting bigger.

In fact I can already picture the BBC news tweet and the hysterical replies to it when this happens.

Edited by Todd_is_God

31 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Somewhere in the middle tbh. If their concerns about the transmissibility of this new variant have any grounding at all, shielders and the rest of the "highest risk" categoried shielding until 3 weeks after their first dose would be wise. If they don't, then please shut up about it as it's irrelevant.

Either way, I don't see why the current restrictions need to be applied outwith those people, however, if the figures in general support lower tiers.

In addition to this, there should be no realistic reason, as restrictions are lifted gradually and vaccine uptake increases on a massive scale, for us to ever again be anywhere close to the level of restriction that we've had imposed on us for the past year.

I'm still understanding of the restrictions at this point in time and I'm on board with the gradual lifting of them whilst the population are vaccinated - even if that takes several months to fully do so but as we now have a vaccine and treatments, there should be no circumstances where we end up bouncing back and forth through the tiers and having lockdowns held to our collective heads like a gun for 'not behaving'.

Once we reach the point where they do decide to end lockdown and we gradually begin dropping down through the tiers, any return to a point where society is again threatened with tightened restrictions or mass closure would be absolutely catastrophic given the constant rhetoric of the vaccine being the saviour of lockdown.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In addition to this, there should be no realistic reason, as restrictions are lifted gradually and vaccine uptake increases on a massive scale, for us to ever again be anywhere close to the level of restriction that we've had imposed on us for the past year.

I'm still understanding of the restrictions at this point in time and I'm on board with the gradual lifting of them whilst the population are vaccinated - even if that takes several months to fully do so but as we now have a vaccine and treatments, there should be no circumstances where we end up bouncing back and forth through the tiers and having lockdowns held to our collective heads like a gun for 'not behaving'.

Once we reach the point where they do decide to end lockdown and we gradually begin dropping down through the tiers, any return to a point where society is again threatened with tightened restrictions or mass closure would be absolutely catastrophic given the constant rhetoric of the vaccine being the saviour of lockdown.

respect-hats-off.gif