Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I’ve friends who live in Florida, think they’ve been three times since it reopened. Taking advantage lack of queues!

The Super Bowl is in Florida in just under 3 weeks. I don't know how many tickets they have sold but, officially anyway, I don't believe there are any restrictions on capacity. If the NFL decided they wanted to (i'm sure they won't) they could have a full house.

ETA just checked. They are planning on sticking to 20% (around 15,000).

Edited by Todd_is_God

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Just been for mine in the Louisa Jordan - got a last minute phonecall from the people who run the meal delivery service I volunteer for. Apparently it's classed as frontline social care because we interact with the vulnerable people directly, which I suppose sort of makes sense. Feel a wee bit conflicted that my 80+ year old grandparents haven't had it yet as far as I know, but it wasn't a me or them situation and I suppose it means I can now only kill people with my mediocre cooking, not an invasive respiratory disease.

It is absolutely fucking massive in there, and there was a constant stream of folk in and out. All seemed very efficient and very well marshalled in terms of distancing. If the other mass vaccination sites are anything like that big and well-staffed then they'll absolutely fly through them in the coming weeks.

I got the Pfizer and got told it would probably be the Pfizer for the second dose in 11 weeks but that advice was constantly changing. They also gave me three separate leaflets that said the second dose would be in around four weeks, these had presumably been printed up weeks ago.

Is that correct? I thought the vaccine protects you from becoming seriously ill. It doesn’t necessarily stop you getting the virus. Is protection not something like 50% after the first dose? So there would still be a 50% chance of becoming infected if you were in contact with somebody who had it.  And they don’t know yet whether it prevents transmission.  It also takes 10 to 14 days before you are protected.

Anyway, why on earth is the schools policy applied at national level? Schools should be open as usual in Orkney. It's not like every school in Scotland closes when Fife gets snowed under.

You're looking for Us For Them. You'll find them on Facebook or on the BBC.

16 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

That's my dad and mother in law got notifications today to get the jags from their GPs this week, in Kilmarnock and Greenock respectively. Hopefully that's the roll out picking up momentum. 

The QoS Arena vaccination centre has been running for two days now. They are in there tomorrow too but only three days a week at the moment. It's certainly picking up though.

Mixed news from Israel. 

2 million arms punctured and those that have had 2 doses looking like excellent protection, however, single dosers not looking as good as hoped. 

Their cabinet is even considering new restrictions ie tightening up despite the widespread vaccination. Some scientists suggesting 30-40% are the new variant first recorded in England. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped?__twitter_impression=true

Edit: apologies, didn't see this was already being discussed. 

I think the fact their cabinet is considering tighter restrictions sheds some light on how worrisome they find it. 

Edited by madwullie
Didn't read full thread

5 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

You're looking for Us For Them. You'll find them on Facebook or on the BBC.

No idea who they are and I really don't care enough about schools to look them up, but why place restrictions on things like pubs and cinemas at local authority level but not schools?

26 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I’ve friends who live in Florida, think they’ve been three times since it reopened. Taking advantage lack of queues!

Yeh, for me, if im allowed to travel and studies show if im vaccinated and a very low risk in terms of transmission etc I’ll not be worried about it, I wouldnt go if I hadnt been however, so long as i’d be low risk to anyone else and catching it then cant see the harm. 

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'll be honest, I couldn't care less if everyone contracts covid so long as it prevents people becoming gravely ill or sick to the point they need an ICU.

0% efficacy would be acceptable if it cuts out 100% of severely ill people. Of course those figures would never happen but surely even if it has a low efficacy but protects very high percentage of vulnerable people from getting gravely sick, it will have done its job.

Is that correct? I thought the vaccine protects you from becoming seriously ill. It doesn’t necessarily stop you getting the virus. Is protection not something like 50% after the first dose? So there would still be a 50% chance of becoming infected if you were in contact with somebody who had it.  And they don’t know yet whether it prevents transmission.  It also takes 10 to 14 days before you are protected.

That was just a wee joke about my food, don't worry I'm not going to be doing anything differently to before.

I'll be honest, I couldn't care less if everyone contracts covid so long as it prevents people becoming gravely ill or sick to the point they need an ICU.
0% efficacy would be acceptable if it cuts out 100% of severely ill people. Of course those figures would never happen but surely even if it has a low efficacy but protects very high percentage of vulnerable people from getting gravely sick, it will have done its job.

That’s what I’ve been saying, we don’t shut life down to a standstill because folk arny feelin well

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

So it's working almost exactly as we were told it would?

Too early to say. I think we should continue to avoid doing any activity other than walking in the cold for an hour a day for the next 6 years just to be on the safe side.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That was just a wee joke about my food, don't worry I'm not going to be doing anything differently to before.

Apologies. Got that you were joking but thought you may have been serious about not infecting anybody. Glad you’ve had your first jag.