Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

So Scotgov live and extending the full lockdown for another 2 weeks.  No suprise but is it justified ?   

In my opinion ScotGov is extending lockdown because they simply  can get away with it due to the doom and gloom in England.

We actually only have 2 councils who fit the simple Tier 4 scenario for infection rate. 

I appreciate what you're saying, but it's isn't all about the infection rates at the moment. The issue is the hospital capacity. As I've previously said we're sitting at 30% more Covid inpatients than we had at the peak of the last wave. We're still admitting patients at a higher rate than we're managing to discharge them (although it looks like the numbers are getting better).

Because the length of stay is high, even if admissions keep coming down, we will still not have capacity until we see more movement on discharges. At the moment, any increase in admission numbers (that we'd definitely see if restrictions were lifted) would have a huge impact on hospitals.

2 hours ago, PWL said:

One guess as to which team young Darren supports......

Is it Clyde?

Had to chuckle today when the Wife (DentalHygienist) came home today to tell me what her Gaffer (Owner & Dentist) had been saying.

He had gone for a covid test at Dudhope in Dundee on Friday which came back negative.

Says he was more likely to catch Covid at the test centre.  

Like a scene from Living Dead was the description.

No social distancing and cries of "Allright Jessie , i'm in for my 3rd test in the last fortnight"

Oh the general public.  Love it.

Edited by superbigal

3 hours ago, Elixir said:

While it's true borders won't close, if we were to end up implementing anything as extreme as in Australia or New Zealand etc, it's as good as that in reality. I just don't think it's sustainable, not in Europe anyway.

And if you can't work from home you can't just go and then work while isolating. Once vaccines are rolled out to the majority of the population in Europe I again just can't see quarantine remaining a tenable position.

It's not as good as apart from a funeral where no notice can be given, the type of trips that are essential I would question are they essential if you can't stay indoors for 10 days before and after.

I think Europe may open up internally but visitors from outwith will have to quarantine, like Great Britain. Although our vaccine progress might mean we are allowed.

30 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It’s the year 2072, a group of lads head out on the town to celebrate the youngest one turning 18. As they sit at the table in the pub they all turn to the birthday boy “ looks like it’s your turn to buy the scotch egg for the table” get tae f**k , whits the point! He replies “ well we canny start the sesh till someone orders the food, it’s your 18th! It’s tradition! Just dae it ffs!

Bookmarked!

12 minutes ago, 101 said:

It's not as good as apart from a funeral where no notice can be given, the type of trips that are essential I would question are they essential if you can't stay indoors for 10 days before and after.

I think Europe may open up internally but visitors from outwith will have to quarantine, like Great Britain. Although our vaccine progress might mean we are allowed.

I think if the vaccines are proven to be effective in reducing transmission then you’ll see people from the UK allowed to travel anywhere (with the likely exception of Oz/Nz) with reciprocal arrangements, I am quietly confident i’ll be in italy in July and Florida in September. 

54 minutes ago, virginton said:

More gold from the behavioural psychologists who opposed mandating face masks because they too would 'make people think they are invincible'. 

Scotland's path out of lockdown should be clearly spelled out before the May election, so that this utterly unnecessary drivel can be launched into the sun.

Yeah because with this unprecedented pandemic with a much mutating virus policies can easily be “clearly spelled out” in advance.

You’re a fucking moron.

Still early days and hopefully things improve over the coming weeks but Israel experiencing large increases in positive cases despite its massive vaccine rollout

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped

Also appears that a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine is a bit shit

Sturgeon shifting the goalposts yet again in Parliament today by claiming that the target vaccination rate is 100k per week in January and so the SG are surpassing it. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-54987251

Posted at 14:56 19 Nov 202014:56 19 Nov 2020
'This is to be one of the biggest civilian logistical challenges in our lifetime'
The health secretary says the mass vaccination programme will be made accessible wherever you live in Scotland via a diverse workforce.

Ms Freeman tells the chamber more than 2,000 vaccinators and support staff will be needed by the end of January.

She says around a million people will be vaccinated by this time.

An agreement with the BMA has been reached about GP involvement and a wider clinical workforce is required, she says.

"This is to be one of the biggest civilian logistical challenges in our lifetime," Ms Freeman says.

She details strengthening of NHS planning teams, local authorities, local resilience teams and the military.

That's the actual target, you don't get to drop it when you've realised that you made an arse of it and claim success for hitting 40% of the mark instead. 

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah because with this unprecedented pandemic with a much mutating virus policies can easily be “clearly spelled out” in advance.

'Much mutating virus'.

1184377993_tenor(22).gif.a2ddddd85e07eb0e02a2fbb62fc5722c.gif

policies can easily be “clearly spelled out” in advance.

The criteria for ditching restrictions can absolutely be spelled out in advance. Then when an area meets that criteria then they are dropped. Only gormless clowns think that Jason Leitch picking out changes from a tombola every few weeks is the Only Possible Way Of Doing Things.

You’re a fucking moron.

The only moron around here is the geriatric fud who broke lockdown restrictions to have a debating match with the missus about which bottle of wine to have with his tea. Get back in your box.

Edited by vikingTON

12 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Still early days and hopefully things improve over the coming weeks but Israel experiencing large increases in positive cases despite its massive vaccine rollout

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped

Also appears that a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine is a bit shit

Wasn't a Pfizer single shot supposed to give 90% efficiacy?

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Sturgeon shifting the goalposts yet again in Parliament today by claiming that the target vaccination rate is 100k per week in January and so the SG are surpassing it. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-54987251

That's the actual target, you don't get to drop it when you've realised that you made an arse of it and claim success for hitting 40% of the mark instead. 

Staggering that the UK has the highest death rate in the world from this and yet the Scottish and UK health ministers who’ve absolutely bumbled their way through this remain in post. 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Fair. Add "We hope" to the start of that sentence then.

Correct. And we need to know if it isn't the key to getting restrictions punted then what is.

Never ending restrictions are not acceptable.

I was just saying to my wife do you think this will ever end and she said not in our lifetimes.

Now, I know the two of us are on borrowed time - more so me - but I'd like to think I'd last another 2 or 3 years minimum (cancer nurse told me I'd be on my current treatment for 2 or 3 years, I'll be entering year 2 in a couple of months), so "not in our lifetimes" isn't too encouraging.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Staggering that the UK has the highest death rate in the world from this and yet the Scottish and UK health ministers who’ve absolutely bumbled their way through this remain in post. 

Freeman has already quit it's just that no one else wants the job. 

Just now, Tynierose said:

There appears to be varying research showing different levels of efficacy, certainly when our HB were cancelling our second jabs they were screaming the 90pct message.

I think it's also important to remember that it doesnt work instantaneously and there does seem to be a lot of folk who think that as soon as they are jabbed they can dump all aspects of distancing etc which may correlate with jump in Israiel numbers.

Weren’t the efficacy percentages a bit dodgy as well?   Didn’t test everyone in the trial or something like that?