Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

New variant discovered in Germany

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/19/germany-new-covid-variant-discovered-extended-lockdown-looms

The new variant was detected in 35 people at a hospital in the southern German town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen on Monday after 73 patients and staff members at the Bavarian facility tested positive for COVID-19.

Hospital authorities confirmed the mutation was different from the two highly infectious mutations causing concern.

Deputy medical director Clemens Stockklausner told reporters it was not yet clear whether the new strain in Germany was any more deadly or infectious.

“We cannot say at all at the moment whether this [mutation] has any clinical relevance,” he said. “We have to wait for the complete sequencing.”

Samples of the variant have been sent to Charite Hospital in the capital, Berlin, for further examination, German broadcaster Deutsche Welle reported.

I know it's just part of the news cycle but it doesn't feel particularly healthy for it to be newsworthy every time a new variant is identified. Viruses mutate.

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

But then where does that leave people like my partner who are isolated across borders from family and friends? When does it end? I know a similar argument can be made about people within borders right now, but it's not the same in reality. There are hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals in Scotland, and millions in the wider UK.

Europe will get this under control around the same time as we will. I don't believe there should be travel restrictions between here and the continent.

Tbf I don't believe the borders will ever close but you should have to quarantine 10 days before you go and 10 days once you come back, I don't see that as unreasonable at the moment.

25 minutes ago, super_carson said:

The pessimist in me says we probably won't see crowds at the Euros and the SG may well insist on the start of next season being BCD - although as I say that may just be a reflection of my gloomy outlook at the moment.  

Of course, the big question will be whether or not furlough carries on beyond April - it's already been extended a few times but I'm not convinced Sunak will want to see it extended again. I got the impression from various reports that he didn't like the attitude it created among some of the population.   It might be scaled back, or aimed at specific sectors, but if it does end when it is scheduled to then I think both governments will be forced into lifting a lot of the restrictions. 

On crowds, I just can't see that flying. By August you should have pretty much everyone who might be at risk vaccinated (if all goes to plan). There would be no good reason to have games behind closed doors when distancing is simple at just about every ground.

On furlough, I can't see Sunak extending again. The "attitude it creates among the population" line is code for "we're fucking sick of giving people free money, this has to stop". 

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

"We cannot say at all at the moment whether this [mutation] has any clinical relevance,” he said. “We have to wait for the complete sequencing.”

Yet another "PANIC! MUTATION!" article that isn't required.

284,582 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3, 886 have received their second dose

Today's figures, just under 20k done.

The figures are increasing as we move away from care homes which is good and expected.

Hopefully hit about 25k per day by the end of the week.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

This goes also for the one from Brazil or the Kent one included?

I wouldn't mind knowing what's going on.

I'm not an expert in any shape or form but my understanding is that the virus will have already been through several mutations and there will be more to come. 

Clearly clinicians need to be on top of how the virus is evolving but it wouldn't be healthy for anyone if every mutation became part of the daily news cycle.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

On furlough, I can't see Sunak extending again. The "attitude it creates among the population" line is code for "we're fucking sick of giving people free money, this has to stop". 

Absolutely - I'm surprised it was extended into April so far in advance to be honest.  

I sincerely hope you are right about crowds, of course.  Like I say, I'm a bit scunnered with all the constant goalpost shifting chat.  

Just now, Snafu said:

This goes also for the one from Brazil or the Kent one included?

I wouldn't mind knowing what's going on.

Well you've been misled. The virus that started in China wasn't the same variant that hit Italy. The variant that hit Italy wasn't the same one that hit Brazil. And so on. It's been mutating since it left China early last year, but it's only since December that news agencies have taken any notice. Of course if we have evidence that a new variant is more transmissible and more deadly then it's news worthy, but we don't really have evidence supporting that.

The flu virus mutates every year, people still get a vaccine for it and it still works. The stuff being pumped out daily now every time a slight mutation happens is there to scare rather than inform, as evidenced by the scientists saying "we don't know anything yet".

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

Tbf I don't believe the borders will ever close but you should have to quarantine 10 days before you go and 10 days once you come back, I don't see that as unreasonable at the moment.

While it's true borders won't close, if we were to end up implementing anything as extreme as in Australia or New Zealand etc, it's as good as that in reality. I just don't think it's sustainable, not in Europe anyway.

And if you can't work from home you can't just go and then work while isolating. Once vaccines are rolled out to the majority of the population in Europe I again just can't see quarantine remaining a tenable position.

5 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

284,582 people have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccination and 3, 886 have received their second dose

Today's figures, just under 20k done.

The figures are increasing as we move away from care homes which is good and expected.

Hopefully hit about 25k per day by the end of the week.

It's still a wee bit shite, though. If we have already worked our way through the vast majority of care homes I'd really like to see the pace pick up.

We are planning some large daily numbers in the not too distant future, and, as we do have a relatively large stock atm, we really should be doing more now.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Well you've been misled. The virus that started in China wasn't the same variant that hit Italy. The variant that hit Italy wasn't the same one that hit Brazil. And so on. It's been mutating since it left China early last year, but it's only since December that news agencies have taken any notice. Of course if we have evidence that a new variant is more transmissible and more deadly then it's news worthy, but we don't really have evidence supporting that.

The flu virus mutates every year, people still get a vaccine for it and it still works. The stuff being pumped out daily now every time a slight mutation happens is there to scare rather than inform, as evidenced by the scientists saying "we don't know anything yet".

I have sympathy with them being asked that because if they say its nothing and something did change for the worse their career would likely be over.

The media need to be told to pipe down, that it's perfectly normal to find variants, that it will more than likely make no difference, and in the unlikely event there is a negative impact from one then they will announce it.

"Within households, children and adolescents were less susceptible to SARS-CoV-2 infection but were more infectious than older individuals. Presymptomatic cases were more infectious and individuals with asymptomatic infection less infectious than symptomatic cases. These findings have implications for devising interventions for blocking household transmission of SARS-CoV-2, such as timely vaccination of eligible children once resources become available".

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30981-6/fulltext

Edited by Have some faith in Magic

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I have sympathy with them being asked that because if they say its nothing and something did change for the worse their career would likely be over.

The media need to be told to pipe down, that it's perfectly normal to find variants, that it will more than likely make no difference, and in the unlikely event there is a negative impact from one then they will announce it.

It needs to come from our leaders though. They are the fucking cheerleaders of pure doom at present. If they shot down certain negativity, things wouldn't be reported so negatively.

After speaking about the JCVI group getting vaccinated by May, NS them spoke about that measurements such as physical distancing, masks, hygeine (I'd like to fucking think so) and maybe travel restrictions, will need to remain in place for "some time".

I don't like the open endedness of the phase "some time". What we looking at? Weeks? Months? Years?

I really dislike Ruth Davidson, but her first question was particularly good to the FM. She did not address why, if we have hundreds of thousands of doses, why they're not getting into folks arms at a much higher rate. Lot of bluster and blame placed at UK government, and I think she kind of accused the UK government of massaging the figures a bit in terms of how many doses have been delivered but I may have misinterpreted...