Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

1260 deaths in English care homes last week.  

There should the an inquiry into this alone the vaccine probably would have started to save people's lives in care homes and control the spread. 1260 is far to high for a country that has "excellent vaccination levels" 

For avoidance of doubt, I'd be fairly happy to give up international travel if it meant getting things much closer to normal here.

As far as I'm aware, it has yet to be seen if immunisation stops one catching and being able to transmit it to others, which is a big deal for the non-vaccinated.  As such, there could feasibly be plenty of people around the UK who are carrying the virus if social distancing suddenly came to an end.  It would be rather selfish to want to go abroad where the number of vaccinations are behind our's with a mindset of "I'm protected against but might be able to spread it, what's the issue?". 

I forsee a situation where we either carry on social distancing etc for the 'reward' of international travel, or get back to normality here but be seriously restricted from visiting any country where vaccines haven't been fully dished out.  

Just now, Rugster said:

Nicola Sturgeon retweeting Reuters reporting Germany extending lockdown until mid February. Hint hint. 

Could be worse tbh. That's in line with my expectations before any relaxations are considered here. 

25 minutes ago, Paco said:

Would you swap it for normal life here? I would.

My concern in the UK would be a two-tier approach where it’s banned for the peasants but the ultra-wealthy and those deemed ‘essential’ by the government fly around as they wish, importing the virus anyway.

I'd be all for a travel ban if it meant normality for us. 

Just now, Rugster said:

Nicola Sturgeon retweeting Reuters reporting Germany extending lockdown until mid February. Hint hint. 

That would make sense as it should the the peak of hospitalisations and will coincide with us knowing just how much the vaccine reduces transmission. But from then on it has to be a slow release of restrictions.

29 minutes ago, Paco said:

My concern in the UK would be a two-tier approach where it’s banned for the peasants but the ultra-wealthy and those deemed ‘essential’ by the government fly around as they wish, importing the virus anyway.

You mean exactly like it is at the moment?

18 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
36 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:
1260 deaths in English care homes last week.  

Only going one way now that they're discharging covid patients into them.

Yep. Again.

When the dust settles, and the "well, Boris and his circus are doing the best they can" brigade have shut the fúck up, serious time needs to be served for this disgrace. And I only say that because I am strongly opposed to Capital Punishment - ironically, it is the current gang of cúnts in the Tory party who are testing my conviction as never before.

I suspect that February will be exactly the same as January has been, save for the schools perhaps going back in mid-Feb (perhaps primary only?).  After that, I think March onwards will see a return to the tier system that we slowly work our way down over the summer.  That allows an element of controlled reopening, keeping an eye on the impact of this lockdown and vaccinations.  It probably won't be as fast as some of us would like, and I don't doubt SAGE and the like will be screaming to carry on with restrictions, but I think this is what they mean when they talk about a gradual rolling back of restrictions.   The pessimist in me says we probably won't see crowds at the Euros and the SG may well insist on the start of next season being BCD - although as I say that may just be a reflection of my gloomy outlook at the moment.  

Of course, the big question will be whether or not furlough carries on beyond April - it's already been extended a few times but I'm not convinced Sunak will want to see it extended again. I got the impression from various reports that he didn't like the attitude it created among some of the population.   It might be scaled back, or aimed at specific sectors, but if it does end when it is scheduled to then I think both governments will be forced into lifting a lot of the restrictions. 

My suspicion is end of Feb will see a return to the tiered system with a clear end date for the tiered system being removed when we achieve herd immunity (70%).

However I do wonder if Sunak will extend furlough.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There's a story in the Time saying that Australia plan to keep border closures in place until 2022.

They, like NZ, really have little choice on that tbh.

They are going to be months behind the likes ok the UK & EU in terms of vaccinations, and will have a much more susceptible population anyway.

27 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Yep. Again.

When the dust settles, and the "well, Boris and his circus are doing the best they can" brigade have shut the fúck up, serious time needs to be served for this disgrace. And I only say that because I am strongly opposed to Capital Punishment - ironically, it is the current gang of cúnts in the Tory party who are testing my conviction as never before.

maybe one for unpopular opinons? lockdowns, shutdowns , closures and travel bans all have very  serious adverse effects in their own right, when considering one or all of those measures at any time during a situation like this you have ask the question,  is this response proportionate to what we know this virus is capable of? 

For the most part I can sort of forgive them for not getting a lot of it right.

But the care homes just sticks out like a sore thumb, discharging patients into a carehome the it was already known as far back as late January that;

the elderly were the most at risk,

there was a long incubation period that would not show up in a test

That asymptomatic persons could spread the disease

Those suffering degenerative cognitive diseases would not understand the need for physical distancing or increased hygiene nor would they necessary be capable of practicing it in any case

how could there not be any checks and balances or risk assessments against the order to " clear hospitals of bed blocking elderly patients"  That is a serious flaw in the operations of the public health protocols

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

The average age of the occupant of an ICU bed in the current wave is 60, I think.

Out of interest, what was it before?

The average age for admissions to critical care units in Scotland in 2019 was 59.7 years (median 64 years).

https://www.sicsag.scot.nhs.uk/publications/_docs/2019-Web-Tables.xls?1

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

The average age for admissions to critical care units in Scotland in 2019 was 59.7 years (median 64 years).

https://www.sicsag.scot.nhs.uk/publications/_docs/2019-Web-Tables.xls?1

That doesn't sound like much of a story then, other than to promote the "everyone is at risk" line.

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Construction of China’s Hebei Shijiazhuang Covid-19 Quarantine Centre is nearing the end. With a total floor area of 34 hectares, the facility will house close contacts or secondary close contacts of COVID-19 confirmed cases.

China is building a massive Covid-19 quarantine centre on the outskirts of Shijiazhuang city, AFP is reporting, to curb the city’s growing Covid-19 outbreaks.

The facility, which will be ready in a matter of days, will be large enough to move entire villages into if there are any localised resurgences of the virus.

China has largely brought the virus under control but still experiences spates of small, localised outbreaks. The scenes outside Shijiazhuang, northern China, are reminiscent of Beijing’s efforts early last year to build makeshift field hospitals in Wuhan – the central city where Covid-19 cases first emerged – within days of the virus’s appearance.

Test , trace, truncheon to face an whole family off to the concentration camp. that ought to do the trick

1 hour ago, Paco said:

38 minutes ago, Scosha said:

I'd be all for a travel ban if it meant normality for us. 

But then where does that leave people like my partner who are isolated across borders from family and friends? When does it end? I know a similar argument can be made about people within borders right now, but it's not the same in reality. There are hundreds of thousands of foreign nationals in Scotland, and millions in the wider UK.

Europe will get this under control around the same time as we will. I don't believe there should be travel restrictions between here and the continent.