Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Are we going to end up as the country who immunises everyone first, decides to let the virus run loose as a result of the NHS no longer being at risk, and then get banned from travelling anywhere else for ages as every other country says "f**k off" to the inhabitants of an infected island?

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Are we going to end up as the country who immunises everyone first, decides to let the virus run loose as a result of the NHS no longer being at risk, and then get banned from travelling anywhere else for ages as every other country says "f**k off" to the inhabitants of an infected island?

Probably 

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I think there is more danger of us being told we cannot travel as Europe and the rest of the world are so far behind with vaccination . My work has a hotel in France where they have vaccinated 0.65% of the population so far and 40% have said they won't take it.

Then there is the issue of Vaccine poverty , which could keep this going way longer than needed. https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4809

As someone who loves to travel id still accept another year of not being able to do so if life here could get back to normal.

I think very limited international travel for a while would be a price worth paying if that is how things turn out.

We can have a grotty COVID travel corridor with Israel and Bahrain.

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I think very limited international travel for a while would be a price worth paying if that is how things turn out.

That will be handy for the Tartan army 🙂

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

As long as its not Nigeria in sept and ill be happy with that 

32 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Also, new 'variants' and 'strains' will surely only be harmful in terms of onward transmission or hospitalisation/death to those who haven't been previously infected or vaccinated?

It might increase re-infections over time, but they will likely be far more mild in anyone who suffered badly previously. Eventually pressure will come off health care systems once populations have built up some level of resistance either way.

Why is it often talked about or suggested that strains or variants will basically restart the pandemic from scratch, when that is nonsense.

There is already concern that the new variant in South Africa is so different that current vaccines won't work on it.

There are concerns that easing restrictions and not driving case numbers low enough while we are vaccinating people will lead to emergence of vaccine resistant mutations (apparently that will be favourable conditions for it to happen).

Not sure of the figures in Scotland, but read something recently that says there are far more people under the age of 64 in ICU this time round, and anecdotally there are doctors saying they are treating more people in their 30's and 40's this time. There's stats somewhere that show most ICU admissions are still in the elderly but 43% last week down South were under the age of 64.

That link you posted earlier about how well they think the Pfizer vaccine is doing in Israel is really promising, but a lot of what is going to happen with the vaccinations is still unknown. For one, we are not vaccinating the two doses the recommended 3 weeks apart. Also, we're going to be using the Oxford/AZ vaccine far more than the Pfizer vaccine, and while it might work better with the longer dosing gap, it's not as effective as Pfizer.

This is an interesting article on the one dose route we're taking: How effective is a single vaccine dose against Covid-19?

I'm fucking terrified with the talk of restarting the pandemic from scratch though, it does feel a bit like scaremongering.

Edited by s_dog
To add link

3 minutes ago, s_dog said:

There is already concern that the new variant in South Africa is so different that current vaccines won't work on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55534727

"It is too soon to say for sure, or by how much, until more tests are completed, although it is extremely unlikely the mutations would render vaccines useless.

Scientists have tested the Pfizer Covid vaccine against one of the mutations found in the South African variant, called N501Y, using blood samples from 20 people.

In that preliminary study, vaccination appeared to work against the mutated virus."

Folk need to be careful with their language, mostly those in power. I was livid with Sturgeon when she tweeted her "concern" about the new variant when she clearly understood absolutely f**k all about it. 

I see Bozo is tentatively talking about the start of April for a start in easing restrictions all being well which is pretty much in line with the previous "spring" talk and sounds about right given hospital admissions, ICU numbers and deaths haven't even peaked yet. Eight weeks or so of sustained steady falls after the peak sounds feasible.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55534727

"It is too soon to say for sure, or by how much, until more tests are completed, although it is extremely unlikely the mutations would render vaccines useless.

Scientists have tested the Pfizer Covid vaccine against one of the mutations found in the South African variant, called N501Y, using blood samples from 20 people.

In that preliminary study, vaccination appeared to work against the mutated virus."

Folk need to be careful with their language, mostly those in power. I was livid with Sturgeon when she tweeted her "concern" about the new variant when she clearly understood absolutely f**k all about it. 

Sorry should have said, won't work on it as well. You are right though, the people reporting on it need to be very clear about what they are saying.

There's also this about reinfections (commented on by everyone's favourite Devi Srihdar) but its just another example of how everything is unknown and not as straightforward as here's a vaccine now you are fine.

55 minutes ago, Detournement said:

When were things back to normal?

I must have missed that. 

He was able to argue with his wife about which bottle of wine to get from the supermarket, which is the most important thing. 

32 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Walk us through how exactly the virus will 'run loose' in a population where everyone has been immunised to it. 

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

He was able to argue with his wife about which bottle of wine to get from the supermarket, which is the most important thing. 

Walk us through how exactly the virus will 'run loose' in a population where everyone has been immunised to it. 

It would be the UK Gov thing to do to shut us off from the rest of the world by mass testing asymptomatic, vaccinated people after the summer and panicking about PCR positives tbh.

Talk of banning travel gives me the absolute fear in all honesty and has been a bit worry in recent days.

There are literally millions of people in the UK with family living abroad, and this will obviously be the case in other countries.

The EU won't close their borders to each other.

Talk of banning travel gives me the absolute fear in all honesty and has been a bit worry in recent days.
There are literally millions of people in the UK with family living abroad, and this will obviously be the case in other countries.
The EU won't close their borders to each other.

Would you swap it for normal life here? I would.

My concern in the UK would be a two-tier approach where it’s banned for the peasants but the ultra-wealthy and those deemed ‘essential’ by the government fly around as they wish, importing the virus anyway.