Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

That's the attitude in every aspect of life for every male in the UK aged 35-65.

Which makes you either:

1. Under thirty-five

2. Over 65

3. Non-male, or

4. A cúnt.

There are many, many people who will follow rules, sometimes illogical rules, if they benefit society in general. I think you might be judging by looking in the mirror a bit, here.

The idea that such a majority would be in favour of such draconian measures (if answering seriously, not in a P&B way) leads me to question the demographic of the responders to the poll. I suspect it was possibly taken at a gathering of the Patel clan.

28 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
55 minutes ago, 101 said:

What is it with Boris and trying to lift restrictions in line with a public holiday. Trust us Boris we don't need a public holiday to celebrate the end of this shit show, no one will be at work regardless. 

It's incredible that they would even consider that after the complete disaster at Christmas. Nobody outwith a few religious weirdos gives a toss about Easter anyway. Hopefully Whitty and co put their foot down this time.

Dunno, it's normally good for a four day piss up in fairness.

12 minutes ago, renton said:

The logic, as I understand it is there would be two outstanding risks:

1) vaccinating the JCVI list should reduce death and general hospitalisations, but weirdly not ICU usage. Since older folk who get it bad enough tend to die, its younger (I.e. middle age) folk with acute Covid that end up in ICU. Therefore there is apparently a risk that letting it circulate before you've vaccinated down to 45+ leaves pressure on Critical care wards.

2) Need data on the impact on transmission from the vaccine. If it interrupts transmission as well as reducing symptoms then great. If not, and you are just making folk asymptomatic then the risk as I understand it is that the virus still circulates as it previously would, leading to increased chances of a mutation that requires adjustment to the vaccine, or has greater chance of reinfecting people who had it before.

Not saying I agree with it, but that seems to be the chat firing around.

I don't think those points would mean we need the full lockdown we're under now though. Surely folk could be allowed to sit in gardens etc. like last summer? If Witty is suggesting we'll be stuck in this current level of lockdown for another 5 months then he can kindly go and take a f**k to himself. 

17 minutes ago, renton said:

The logic, as I understand it is there would be two outstanding risks:

1) vaccinating the JCVI list should reduce death and general hospitalisations, but weirdly not ICU usage. Since older folk who get it bad enough tend to die, its younger (I.e. middle age) folk with acute Covid that end up in ICU. Therefore there is apparently a risk that letting it circulate before you've vaccinated down to 45+ leaves pressure on Critical care wards.

2) Need data on the impact on transmission from the vaccine. If it interrupts transmission as well as reducing symptoms then great. If not, and you are just making folk asymptomatic then the risk as I understand it is that the virus still circulates as it previously would, leading to increased chances of a mutation that requires adjustment to the vaccine, or has greater chance of reinfecting people who had it before.

Not saying I agree with it, but that seems to be the chat firing around.

I feel ill....Andrew Neil was basically saying that on tv just now...ill paraphrase but "the vaccination programme and the lifting of restrictions is a slow process if you open up to quickly then you are back to the start .Boris needs to inform the public as people just think that you get an injection and its all over it isnt it needs to controlled as if you mess up 1 step it sets you back 2"

And with that im away for a lie down in a darkened room as i actually agree with him 

Just now, The Moonster said:

I don't think those points would mean we need the full lockdown we're under now though. Surely folk could be allowed to sit in gardens etc. like last summer? If Witty is suggesting we'll be stuck in this current level of lockdown for another 5 months then he can kindly go and take a f**k to himself. 

I would have thought that we could get back into the tier system by end of February if not sooner, and hopefully with most places in lower tiers by then. 

59 minutes ago, renton said:

Restrictions "begin to ease by Good Friday" is fairly grim messaging, even before you get to the bit about it not being a good idea.

Tbh I'm all for a gradual easement provided we don't ever go backwards. Other than for a new strain for instance.

42 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
1 hour ago, 101 said:

What is it with Boris and trying to lift restrictions in line with a public holiday. Trust us Boris we don't need a public holiday to celebrate the end of this shit show, no one will be at work regardless. 

It's incredible that they would even consider that after the complete disaster at Christmas. Nobody outwith a few religious weirdos gives a toss about Easter anyway. Hopefully Whitty and co put their foot down this time.

Correct Easter is such a weird "festival" I guess it's the inner journo of Boris coming out imagining him as the Easter Bunny he's certainly hatched a lot of eggs.

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Which makes you either:

1. Under thirty-five

2. Over 65

3. Non-male, or

4. A cúnt.

There are many, many people who will follow rules, sometimes illogical rules, if they benefit society in general. I think you might be judging by looking in the mirror a bit, here.

The idea that such a majority would be in favour of such draconian measures (if answering seriously, not in a P&B way) leads me to question the demographic of the responders to the poll. I suspect it was possibly taken at a gathering of the Patel clan.

IMG_20191108_194801.thumb.jpg.d6cfa138eeef0060586319b229c77e47.jpg

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, this.

Mind-bendingly enough, there's broad support for the current measures when people know that transmission, cases, hospital admissions, and deaths are high. If lockdown and the vaccines punt all these things back down to summer 2020 levels, the support for restrictions will melt away and the government will be forced to loosen them whether they or SAGE like it or not.

41 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Surely by Easter we've vaccinated all vulnerable people, or very close to all of them? Why is there a need for heavy restrictions at that point? 

I think we have to get ICU capacity back under control and hospital admissions down we should know more about just how good a vaccine is by then and hopefully we can see the end in sight by then but from a purely practical point of view I would much rather see restrictions eased on a Wednesday before pay day. Hopefully meaning we don't see the folk that go to the pub at Christmas crawling out under their rock to make an arse of themselves.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Out of interest, what was it before?

I don't know - NHS England published a document stating that the age of admissions to ICU was consistent with pre-pandemic numbers.  

The messaging in the media/from the politicians around the vaccine is killing me. And I know we discuss things here about how its just to keep a lid on things and bla bla bla, but i'm just going to be honest. We can infer all we like, what is actually being said is absolutely knocking f**k out me now.

Shut up till April, then a painful 'move down the tiers' until when? If we get to hardly any restrictions by the end of summer then they shite themselves in October when cases start rising again? Soul destroying. I'm honestly beginning to fear this could drag on until springtime next year. I literally can't.

Also, new 'variants' and 'strains' will surely only be harmful in terms of onward transmission or hospitalisation/death to those who haven't been previously infected or vaccinated?

It might increase re-infections over time, but they will likely be far more mild in anyone who suffered badly previously. Eventually pressure will come off health care systems once populations have built up some level of resistance either way.

Why is it often talked about or suggested that strains or variants will basically restart the pandemic from scratch, when that is nonsense.

11 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

Not a topic many in here will be passionate about but the government’s treatment of visa holders is a shambles. My partner is Australian and her visa expires in a month. For those whose visas expire they can apply for ‘exceptional assurance’ which extends it for 3 weeks or so. They have to keep applying for this. Gives absolutely zero certainty or security. Has to give up her lease. Work situation highly unclear. She’s lucky she can move in with me and I can support her but f**k knows what others in her situation are doing.

New Zealand just granted their visa holders an extra 6 months. That’s what should be happening in such uncertain times.

That's a bad situation to be in, and she won't even be able to go back to Australia either. Unless she plays tennis...

14 hours ago, Elixir said:

This is really promising news, and if we find out you are unlikely to transmit the virus after vaccinations, it'll be wonderful, the best news of the year. 

We just need to hope the wee 'experiment' the JCVI are doing in the UK with the 12 weeks between doses doesn't affect it in any way.

Edited by s_dog

1 hour ago, renton said:

Restrictions "begin to ease by Good Friday" is fairly grim messaging, even before you get to the bit about it not being a good idea.

Yep, this is why I've been linking to stuff that suggests easing of restrictions will be slow. I've been really struggling with the lockdown at the start of this year, and it's probably made me pessimistic, but I'm worried that this is going to go on for longer than we'd hope. I can laugh at some of the stuff posted by certain people on here, but I do worry that we might all need a bit of a reality check about how soon things will get anywhere near back to normal.